Ida Coyote Coursing Season 2013-14

sorry about the loss. i am one of your newest fans due to the trip you honoed me with the past few weeks. The female you sent us back with is doing great. That sucks you lost Prime. i had a blast being able to watch those great dogs doing what they loved. hope all is well

Come up again anytime.
  • Like 1

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We started a little slow this year catching one here one there, but picked up the slack yesterday and caught 4. I picked up a and new female during the summer and got her on two and she didn't disappo

December 6th , 2013     Words from Uphill- Steve Thomas passed away today. He was in the end stages of cancer. He knew he had a very short time left, but never complained and only asked th

i suppose the dogs are there to be tested ...running em to ground then shooting them aint testing them imo. Granted its frowned upon over here but its probably the done thing over there. No different

Posted Images

One thing i've always wanted to know is how fast are the Pronghorns when compared to a white tail or a jackrabbit? if it were legal I'd love to have a pop at one of those 'speed-goats'...

Lets just say this. Good luck catchin a white tail with a dog unless the situation is way in your dogs favor and catching a pronghorn aint friggin happening unless something goes drastically wrong for the goat.

Thanks for the reply. I've always wondered about Pronghorn. They said that the Blackbuck of India was uncatchable but I think some pure saluki's caught them by a war of attrition.

How would, say, a greyhound compare to a whitetail, speedwise? thanks JD

J Darcy-The way to catch them is to wear them down. Speed alone wont do it for dogs, IMO.

Take care.

Dan's area must have some pretty fast whitetail deer. I know Illinois state produces some outstanding bucks! I think a single dog would be in trouble when he caught up to one.

But here, where we try to avoid chases. They mostly get away by crashing through cover, or jumping a fence.

ATB

In big open paddocks, say 1000+ acres with no fences or cover I think most dogs won't catch a fallow or red with pure speed. They need to wear them down or catch them quick before they know what's going on like hares. But when it comes to hunting small paddocks for deer they make the mistake of turning when they have pressure on them when they approach a fence or cover where a dog makes the catch...

• Like 3

In big open paddocks, say 1000+ acres with no fences or cover I think most dogs won't catch a fallow or red with pure speed. They need to wear them down or catch them quick before they know what's going on like hares. But when it comes to hunting small paddocks for deer they make the mistake of turning when they have pressure on them when they approach a fence or cover where a dog makes the catch...

Somebody tells the truth for once. Thanks for that post brother. You just hit the proverbial nail on the head. That's why I have never seen a dog yet on this earth that could catch a deer where I live on any sorta consistent basis.

a whitetail stag is smaller than our red stags yet lads used to take reds here no problem with there dogs. maybe whitetail's are faster I duno.

Smaller or not you'd be shocked what a white tail buck around here will do to any type of animal be it man or beast if one was so inclined to take aholt of one.

• Like 1

I knew a man back east that all he did was coarse WTD, he went through allot of dogs till he got his core pack.He accounted for a lot of them, once they had the program down. The right dog for WTD in Dan's neck of the woods probably isnt the right dog for coyotes vice versa. A big strong dog with some air and some nose is what I would run.I think if one concentrated on it in a few years he'd come up with a pack that could do 40% or better. Which is pretty good percentage. But its illegal so why even try. Edited to add I've run Pronghorn out here by accident, unless your coursing them in the spring good luck and I'm with everyone else, it would have to be attrition.

Edited by STUNTMAN
  • Like 1

December 6th , 2013

1420489_657181697638459_183054917_n_zpsf

1464690_10201884467411764_494951996_n_zp

Words from Uphill-

Steve Thomas passed away today. He was in the end stages of cancer. He knew he had a very short time left, but never complained and only asked that his animals would be tended to when he passed. Truly game to the end!

I met Steve years ago, and we hit it off right away. His sense of humor was just my style, and I knew we would be lifelong friends. He could tell stories that would have me laughin so hard I would near piss myself, or so interesting I would hang on every word. I never hunted with anyone that taught me more, or had as many laughs with as Ol Steve. He lived a life worth remembering, and his knowledge of all things wild amazed me. I hunted terriers, hounds, and stags with Steve and he helped me with them all. We fought roosters, and worked herding dogs together. We traveled together on adventures and pranked each other and others every chance we got. I could go on and on about him...but I will just say he was a real friend, and a mentor. I will sure miss him. I think he must be the Gods Huntsman now, and I hope he has a good race going when we meet again...Vaya Con Dios Amigo.

• Like 12

I would love the oppurtunity to do another hunt. Its all i think about. Me and Ron are itching to take another trip and are preparing for our own team. If ever any days are open to some greenhorns you can reach us through phone. Travis Andreasen on FB or i can send a #