Best First Lurcher For A Complete Novice

Hi people!

I have always wanted to own and work a lurcher I recently bought a young jill ferret and would like a dog to work with her.

I am completly new to the hobby and I have been reading as many posts as possible.

I believe I would be best getting something with collie in for a first lurcher from what I have read I also am a huge fan of beddys, I have found a few Whippet Collie X 3/4 Saluki Greyhound pups for sale from working parents would this mix be a good *starter* mix as I also read somewhere to stay away from saluki due to them been head strong?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Right thing to do mate start with pup don't rush in plenty out there. Inmo Colly or beddy x will b about right depending on land you got to wrk on just remember dog goin to b with you along time so check you happy with your choice .get plenty of advice of experienced lads there is men on here who r willing to put new lads on [BANNED TEXT] track.just try an steer clear of dog dealers an swappers atb an good hunting

• Like 1

Hi people!

I have always wanted to own and work a lurcher I recently bought a young jill ferret and would like a dog to work with her.

I am completly new to the hobby and I have been reading as many posts as possible.

I believe I would be best getting something with collie in for a first lurcher from what I have read I also am a huge fan of beddys, I have found a few Whippet Collie X 3/4 Saluki Greyhound pups for sale from working parents would this mix be a good *starter* mix as I also read somewhere to stay away from saluki due to them been head strong?

never had a problem with salukis or there cross,s just need a different approach,and getting in there mind set,good luck on your journey atb mc

• Like 2

just look for a pup from lurcher to lurcher parents thats worked on rabbit regular, there plenty on here to choose from.! somthing about 22-25in and drop of collie + saluki in the mix , seem to do well at the rabbit job.!

• Like 1

If I was you I'd start out with a whippet collie grey, beddys can be head strong the same as saluki's, but in my opinion a small dog would have a better kill ratoue at ferreting, plus if you started lamping in the future, that cross is perfect, as stated before don't rush and make sure the pups from working blood, atb shaun

• Like 2

Hi people!

had one myself,excellent bitch, plenty wind,quick off the mark,good feet and coat on her,full on bitch for a little un,about 22tts,softly softly approach for first 7/8 month,she settled nicely id have another tomorrow ;)

A wouldn't start off with a beddy x mate I've got 1 now lovely bitch I've had lurchers. For years and. This is me 1st beddy based lurcher very challenging to start with but fantastic now wouldn't. Be a beginner's dog though a good colliexwhippetxgrey would be idea a would say more laid back and with the collie should be ok to train any with whatever u decide