i know bugger all about cars so am looking for peoples opinions/advice. have been thinking about getting a landrover freelander [station wagon] in fact have got my eye on one - 02 Reg LAND ROVER Freelander 2.0 Td4 GS Station Wagon. all advice opinions good and bad appreciated thanks.

Guest pete evans

i had a freelander on a lease from work

it needed fuel tank replaced the hydraulic clutch fixing twice drive shaft done the hand brake fixed on recal (i never had a problem with hand brake) and an electrical problem.

the dealer was shite and the build quality not much better. my wife loved it, i liked driving it when on the road and not in the garage.

wouldnt want to fully finance one myself

pete

As a LR salesman I'd have to say, look for something a bit newer if poss. GS is not a bad spec though, make sure ya get full LR service history - like every single car out there, there's good uns and there's bad uns. TD4s usuallygo on for ever. IMO the clutch is a potential weekpoint if ya do much off road. One thing to check - put it in reverse, turn wheel on full-lock and try reversing left and right for a wee bit, if you get a knocking sound it can be feckin costly (had a guy recently brought a 2000 model in and he thought it was a drive shaft - WRONG! It was part o the 4wd system - 3grand to fix!) If buying from a dealer you want a full 1yr LR warranty.

hmmm well, i think the freelander has got the boot, now looks like a disco is the preferred option, indeed we are going to look at this one: 2002 B Reg LAND ROVER Discovery 2.5 Td5 S 5 seat later this week. its the wife needing a bleeding auto which makes life difficult but ho hum. thanks for all your help. comments still welcome.