Long Neting And Dog.

alrounder

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This I would agree with I remember a night last year nice and dark good breeze I ran out a couple of 50 yarders and bagged a couple of rabbits. All done in total darkness and as I strolled back with m

Just my opinion, I will not tolerate a dog holding/ grabing a rabbit that is in a net purse or long net. The dog should stand over the net and if the rabbit gets out of the net then it is fair game. I

i think the dogs are used ferreting with the aid of a longnet/quickset. i dont think they will be many dogs for night time long netting

Only bit iv ever seen. I got nv and have used it whilst waiting at net but iv never filmed it my camcorders zoom ain't working anymore.

i have to be cheeky and say....get some footage up man!

I'll give it a try when I got camcorder sorted mate

i dont think you can control the speed the bunnies run at, true you could probably make them go faster but the skitty ones that are always going to sprint and wont slow down no matter how slow and steady you are..

now the bounce off is imo a bit more controlable although in netting game nothing is a given..

in the video if i remember was hemp net well for a start i would get rid of that and have sheet neting or engels if it was possible. 4z, double knitt and a correct set net with ample bagging will limit this as the bunnies ball up and if its of a good size mesh the head of the rabbit is going through the mesh..

all you can do is move slow and set the correct net the best you can..

you can control the speed and direction rabbits will travel just by your own actions. Obviously not every rabbit but as a general rule you can.

TC

thats my point. you can get them all to go fast but some sprint and you can not slow them down.. i just don not write/ explain myself very well

i have seen a bunny (full moon out wi mr wilk) run down a banking for 50 yds and through a gate then sprint a thurther 100 yds to hit a net.. absolutly no way i could have slowed that down unless i had sat mr wilks near the gate and got him to stick out his foot as it ran past :laugh:

but a good net set right will im sure cause less bouncers that a 6z set half arsed with too little bagging.. we do are best to do our best

Smithie, the object is to get the rabbits moving back to thier place of safety, then intercept them with the long nets. Most rabbits that bolt have been spooked by some one getting close to them before the rabbit winded or heard them. Give the rabbit enough notice that you are coming and they usually hop away infront of you, same as they do during the day, walk into a field of feeding rabbits during the day, what happens? The rabbits who were feeding close to you bolt for saftey those that are further out in the field will usually make their way to the hedge and then stop to re-asses the situation. That is the type of scenario that you want to repeat when night time netting.

As an example say a field is 200yards wide from where you have set the net to the opposite hedge. You place the net then walk round to start your bant.you are then walking with the wind at your back or coming from a side blowing your scent infront or to the side of you. The rabbits in that field could be anywhere from the opposite hedge to the net to a couple of yards off the net. Any rabbits that are feeding close to the hedge will have a shock when you turn up to start the bant, and as a consiquence will bolt for home. yet if you had bypassed the hedge and I know it is not always possible, gone into the field above the rabbits feeding close to the hedge would have more time to hear / smell you and not feel so pressured.

The problem is we are dealing with unpredictable wild animals all we can do is make the odds more in out favour, it will never be 100% in our favour but with a little thought you can reduce the odds somewhat.

TC

i understand all of the above its been talked about at length with mr king and mr wilks.

I'm not very keen on waving spotlights around when banting in.

I've got a little Yukon monocular that I use when night time netting. I check the field before setting the net, have a quick gander when the net is up and then quietly walk the bunnies in.

As for dogs; I've never had one that I would be happy was steady enough for the job.

One of the beauties of long netting is it's simplicity. A quiet walk out with no expensive lamps or batteries; in and out before anyone knows what is happening. I sometimes wonder if I'm overcomplicating things by using the NV but it certainly takes some of the guesswork out of the job.

long shot but would anybody happen to know what mesh size that net is in that video, at times 1:34, 2:03, 2:26, it appears that those rabbits cannot get their head through the meshes, the rabbits seem a good average size but despite several attempts it appears they cannot poke their heads through the meshes (unless footage is not showing properly), perhaps someone here may know the person personally and possibly be good enough to say the mesh size, thanks.

I used a nv monical before today and I find after I use it I struggle to see in the dark as it pulls my vision also takes away some of the excitment as I have an idea how full the net could possibly be.

If I was a pasti it would be nv every drop

One of the beauties of long netting is it's simplicity.

This I would agree with I remember a night last year nice and dark good breeze I ran out a couple of 50 yarders and bagged a couple of rabbits. All done in total darkness and as I strolled back with me rabbits I could see the farm house in the distance all lit up and no one had a clue I was there it was perfect. But night vision for me would ruin what it is all about and feel like cheating at the end of the day for me any way

• Like 5

the main fault which I can see is the Net !!! Don't get me wrong as that net was !! Knitted for the Film !!

Mesh size !! Slack!!

the main fault which I can see is the Net !!! Don't get me wrong as that net was !! Knitted for the Film !!

Mesh size !! Slack!!

Nice to see you back Netrigger you have been missed.

Mesh size !! Slack!!

Mesh size !! Slack!!

Nice to see you back Netrigger you have been missed.

agreed!