Long Neting And Dog.

alrounder

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This I would agree with I remember a night last year nice and dark good breeze I ran out a couple of 50 yarders and bagged a couple of rabbits. All done in total darkness and as I strolled back with m

Just my opinion, I will not tolerate a dog holding/ grabing a rabbit that is in a net purse or long net. The dog should stand over the net and if the rabbit gets out of the net then it is fair game. I

i think the dogs are used ferreting with the aid of a longnet/quickset. i dont think they will be many dogs for night time long netting

i know very little about dogs and training them, but im not suprised you have seen only 1 and i imagine training a dog to run around the bunnys (like a sheep dog) on a visual command in the dark and walk the field silent with out giving up to the erge to chase and kill is something not easily achived.

and way beyond any tallent i shall ever have

then some people would also need a dog for more than 1 job. somebody netting at night might wish to lamp, ferret or even rat with the dog this would make an alrounder i think and less efficant at some jobs for it

Wouldn't take a dog out with the webs at night, tried it once, if you run your net along the set, then its not hard work to go up the side and walk the field in, tapping a pole against your wellies, that's the way I always did night netting, and it worked for me.

Never fancied using a bant cord either. the photos I put up are ferreting with stop nets.

• Like 1

I got a collie here that I use to net at night, he don't hunt bunnys but quarters land towards the net an in process sends the bunnys for the safety of there Warren, and into my net I've put in front of it, some will say he is a long netting dog, others won't. I don't mind nor care as he does what I want

• Like 3

Wouldn't take a dog out with the webs at night, tried it once, if you run your net along the set, then its not hard work to go up the side and walk the field in, tapping a pole against your wellies, that's the way I always did night netting, and it worked for me.

Never fancied using a bant cord either. the photos I put up are ferreting with stop nets.

i also tap a peg on mi wellie

I got a collie here that I use to net at night, he don't hunt bunnys but quarters land towards the net an in process sends the bunnys for the safety of there Warren, and into my net I've put in front of it, some will say he is a long netting dog, others won't. I don't mind nor care as he does what I want

i would take him for a long net dog.. and tbh if i had a dog like that i would not give two forks what anybody else thought either :laugh:

you got me a little jealous now :thumbs:

i would take him for a long net dog.. and tbh if i had a dog like that i would not give two forks what anybody else thought either :laugh:

you got me a little jealous now :thumbs:

If I'm honest I think I hit lucky, the dog has worked sheep but there are better dogs at it, so he was relegated so to speak. He already knew the away command and then it was just a case of putting time in, getting him to stop in same field an nit go through hedge into next, then I was hiding a ball in field an making him search it as he was coming g towards me and the net, I think he see 's the net as a gate? So always tries to push imaginary sheep to me whilst looking for a ball that no longer gets stashed lol instead I just launch ball when I hear him getting close lollol it works for me mate and I ain't no great trainer, you never know till you try tho. My lurchers couldn't do it, that's for sure lol

• Like 2

Qnother thing ive noticed with alot of ao called netting dogs is when something hits the net qnd the dog jumps over the net but has been tought not to touch it and it pushes the rabbit back through and into the warren meaning another dig. Ive had it happen a few times with an old dog of mine who wouldnt touch a netted rabbit or hare. My friend brendan turley has been at the rabbiting game for more than 40 years and when it comes to nets and dogs i take his word on everything. He owned the best dog ive seen when it come to gatenetting and long netting at night as ive said the dog just seemed to know what was required of it even when there was one in the net sqealing he would carry on working the field but put the lamp on a squatter and hed revert back to a lamp dog. Worth his wieght in gold that dog.

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...

A GOOD Net dog, Ferreting or Long Netting, should never touch any Rabbit when in the Nets.........with a lot of the clips on you tube etc it seems more accepted, but I won't tolerate it.

Not an observation or dig on your pics 'CJ', the Topic and your pics just prompted me, each to their own.

If you look at the third photo the pup has held the Rabbit, and on the leave command when I have hold of it, he lets go,

two of the rabbits that day had actually bounced out the net, and would have went down a bury, probably meaning a dig.

but he held them till I got there, I grabbed them, and on leave did so.

He does the same with purse nets he will hold the rabbit in the net till I get there.

I suppose some don't like the dog grabbing in the nets, but each to there own, I do.

I would agree with you. Have my whippet when ferreting and it does not bother me in the slightest that he grabs them when in the net.

He will just hold them and as soon as i tell him to leave he will just let go and watch. A few times when they hit the purse nets and it has not pursed correctly the rabbit would have got away but he held it :)

Guess its a matter of opinion but so long as you get the rabbit at the end of the day what does it matter :)

Just my opinion, I will not tolerate a dog holding/ grabing a rabbit that is in a net purse or long net. The dog should stand over the net and if the rabbit gets out of the net then it is fair game. I am not saying that a dog that holds a rabbit in a net is wrong doing so, just that over the years most of the ferreting dogs I have used have been terriers, some have had fairly soft mouths but most have had a grip like a vice. Not good for the culinary value of the rabbit after it has had hold of it, not to mention repairing the nets after. So I found it easier to make all rabbits in nets out of bounds.

TC

• Like 5

:yes:Would agree wholeheartedly Tiercel,...and on open, clear warrens, where the dog can see the captured coney clearly, well held in the long net...there is no need to get involved,...however,..in deep brash, bramble or amongst the darkness and debris of the woodland floor,.a dog is often confused as to whether the shushi is well in,. or getting out of a purse net,.and in many cases a keen dog will effect a hold,. until you can get down and dirty yourself..

In situations such as these,..I would expect a ferreting dog to help out,.. :thumbs:

Edited by Phil Lloyd
  • Like 4

:yes:Would agree wholeheartedly Tiercel,...and on open, clear warrens, where the dog can see the captured coney clearly, well held in the long net...there is no need to get involved,...however,..in deep brash, bramble or amongst the darkness and debris of the woodland floor,.a dog is often confused as to whether the shushi is well in,. or getting out of a purse net,.and in many cases a keen dog will effect a hold,. until you can get down and dirty yourself..

In situations such as these,..I would expect a ferreting dog to help out,.. :thumbs:

CW If I was in your position I would expect the same from a dog, perhaps going further and expecting the dog to hold every rabbit in a net. I think I could have explained my reply better. Rabbits are a scarce comodity these day here, and each and every one is worked hard for, both by dogs and humans. As I love eating rabbits any rabbit that gets knocked about enough to loose it's edible qualities is a waste IMHO.

Personally numbers mean diddily squat to me these days, i go rabbiting in all it's forms for two primary reasons. One is something to eat, the other is far more basic, simply because I have to. It is in my blood and has been since I was 5 years old and my father took me out for my first taste of rabbiting. I could no more contemplate giving up rabbiting than chopping my legs off.

That said, I do have a philosophical attitude to it these days and if a rabbit gets away to give me another hunt then who am I to complain? It would be different if I was being paid to do the job then every rabbit counts

TC

Edited by tiercel
  • Like 3

I don't eat bunnys, and either freeze for dog/ferret food or game dealers if needs be. So I don't mind my dogs pinning a bunny in a net but if I was to catch bunnys I know where going for somebody's table then I wouldn't let dogs pin them or would even long net at night