Whippet X Deerhound

It'd be interesting to hear a first hand account from someone who's owned one and not stories of other peoples dogs. You lose the point of a deerhound lurcher when you bring the size down. I'm sure those who ran dogs before the ban and before the bull x generation will understand. If you want a small rabbiting dog with a rough coat then there's loads of breeds to choose from but a deerhound isn't one of them. What does whippet blood bring to this cross, other than a severe reduction in height?

Isn't the reduction in height enough?

Someone who wants the deerhound temperament, feet and coat but smaller?

Surely you can get that from other crosses beddy,collie?

I don't think you can get the deerhound temperament in beddy or collie mate.

No you can't but you get pretty close to it in a Whippet. As everyone knows, there's no guarantee as to what coat or feet you'll get. The pups could throw to the whippet and then what have you got?

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I believe this is a popular cross with heroin users.

i've seen all sorts make decent workers, some had short necks others cow hocks, some had turned out elbows others had all of the above and more but i always asked the question......how much better wou

got one and its the best we worker ive got never stops working got a head to big for its body somebody said it was a horrible we thing couldnt give a f--k how they look as long as they do what their

It'd be interesting to hear a first hand account from someone who's owned one and not stories of other peoples dogs. You lose the point of a deerhound lurcher when you bring the size down. I'm sure those who ran dogs before the ban and before the bull x generation will understand. If you want a small rabbiting dog with a rough coat then there's loads of breeds to choose from but a deerhound isn't one of them. What does whippet blood bring to this cross, other than a severe reduction in height?

No you can't but you get pretty close to it in a Whippet. As everyone knows, there's no guarantee as to what coat or feet you'll get. The pups could throw to the whippet and then what have you got?
I'm yet to see a whippet with the laid back easy going temperament of a deerhound. Most I've seen have been constantly highly driven with an almost terrier like tenacity? Maybe I'm yet to see the laid back type.

As for mixed litters I agree. You could get anything. The litter my pup is from was pretty mixed.

This is my bitch and litter brother, he has obviously thrown to the whippet but with a great coat and good feet...

null_zps84d54b45.png

So basically its temperament then as the other traits are easily obtainable but as kranky said if it throws to the whippet its not what your looking for?

When a Deerhound is working there's plenty of drive there. They'll run game for longer because they've got the wind and drive. The laid back nature that people refer to is usually around the house and not in the field. For years and years Deerhound X lurchers were used for fox, hare and deer and were not found wanting.

A Deerhound X without drive isn't the norm and would only be kept by those that have listened to the opinions of the ill informed and believe that is how they should be.

Whippets should be of a similar temperament, gentle around the house but ready to go when working. They lack the tenacity of a proper terrier.

• Like 3

When a Deerhound is working there's plenty of drive there. They'll run game for longer because they've got the wind and drive. The laid back nature that people refer to is usually around the house and not in the field. For years and years Deerhound X lurchers were used for fox, hare and deer and were not found wanting.

A Deerhound X without drive isn't the norm and would only be kept by those that have listened to the opinions of the ill informed and believe that is how they should be.

Whippets should be of a similar temperament, gentle around the house but ready to go when working. They lack the tenacity of a proper terrier.

You read me wrong mate. I was talking about when out of the field. Not in the field.

I've yet to see a whippet as laid back as a deerhound but as I said that could just be the few I've seen. I haven't seen enough of either to make a sweeping statement.

So basically its temperament then as the other traits are easily obtainable but as kranky said if it throws to the whippet its not what your looking for?

Yeh I agree feet and coat are easily obtainable.

Some people will just like the deerhound temperament and nature. But want it in a smaller body.

As you say though, they could end up with anything. As with most lurchers. Luck of the draw.

Some people will just like the deerhound temperament and nature. But want it in a smaller body.

As you say though, they could end up with anything. As with most lurchers. Luck of the draw.

Very true

Thats one of the reason's i go for 3/4 cross's, you,v more chance of predicting the outcome,especaly if theres non sight hound blood involved, having said that both are sight hounds so all the pups, how ever they turned out should be capable of work of some sort, buster.