Dome Heads Vs Hollow Points

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I use a .22 and still go for headshots, I dont want entry wounds in the meat I am eating thanks!

I did try hollow tips but found dome heads to be better for how i shoot and i seem to be more accurate with dome heads.

years back i was an avid semi wad cutter..nothing else! then i was talked into silouttes, which peed all over the was cutters so theni was a silouette only shooter....then the revolasion occured, i couldnt het any and eventualy bought some round nose pellets with a real sink in my heart..

ermmm some 15 years later i re tried the wadcutter..ffffleghh binned um, then the silouettes..yeh good killing/stopping but fleghhhhh you got to try to see..oh tried the super hollow points to at 5-10 yards, lovely loud slap followed by a runner so.....more bin fodder.

AA feilds

crossman accupells

bisley long range golds

daystate and jsb heavies...thay all have a similar airo shape and all kill well whilste remainingaccurate, the accuracy thing seems to re apear year in year out.. it seems that if you cant hit it it doesnt mater if its a big f**k off nuke yu still missed so its of no use.

now if you need to drop down range power fast? now we're going flat head and wadcutter types. but the accuracy limits their practacle range more than the power drop at the other end.

edit...and havent a few people done exspansion tests both on gels n soaps as well as live target pellet retreaval, and that 'exspansion' is more of a slight dint or buckled skirt, it may be that its being confused with fac power levals and actual 'spanks' spreading out and vapourising and the likes. (as is the sonic shock wave issue...its a seperate issue, where the actual sonic wave is the distructive energy, not so much the actual lead passing though, doent occur at narmal legal power levals).

your after soft pellets primarily for exspansion...then flat heading them etc but if theyre too soft they flaish wound more than anything untill the powers just right which means a further range limiting. (and very few and far between with legal limits).

oops forgo to mension, if you actualy start getting that 'exspansion' thing on the go, you wont necisarily want to be eating anything that you cant find all the pellet in..you'll injest the metal, if those pellets are partialy disapearing or proper vapourising into the target..your body will obsorb those metal particles much more readily from animal meat.

You been reading Airgunner? You won't get any vaporisation until you get to about 2800 fps. You won't get fragmentation in ANY air rifle, not even at FAC levels, because even then you running subsonic.

I agree about the trauma being caused as much by shockwave transfer of energy as the actual penetration, but to be fair, we are only talking double the projectile diameter and at air rifle velocities for about three projectile lengths - so minimal.

As for hollow versus domes - it depends entirely on whether your barrel will shoot them to a tighter tolerance of accuracy. My Taunus shoots Bisley Superfields (which are a slight hollow point in a dome head) the best of all - so I use them. They do perform well on quarry producing a larger exit wound than a standard dome - but not like an expanding round from a centrefire. The pellet doesn't mushroom for a start, it merely distorts a bit and enlarges the diameter. That's all.

Super h points go very well in my Air Ranger - and I ue them for rats, because they don't ricochet off the cowshed walls as much! They actually retain their stability further than I thought with an acceptable 1/2" group at 30 yards. Verminpell are also good through that rifle (a flat head version of Accupell). I haven't actually tried anything else, because the chap i got it off said it shot the Super hs well - and gave me a couple of tins with it...he was right. Itried the Verminpells merely because Ihave 10 tins kicking around. I am glad it shoots them well too, because I will use them up on the rats.

The real anser to your question is - IT DOESN'T MATTER. They will all do the same job at the dangerous end, so you find the pellet (s) that your barrel is happiest spitting out and stick with them.

Edited by Acuspell

''The real anser to your question is - IT DOESN'T MATTER. They will all do the same job at the dangerous end, so you find the pellet (s) that your barrel is happiest spitting out and stick with them''

my last airgun mag fed my bum up some bush in a desperado effert lol.....it contained a couple three things i'd been shouted down for the year before on another forum, and blow me they corrected the spellings lol!

fac...hmmmmm..... lotta myth lotta ohhhh it does does it lol.

end of the day yes, get what suits your barrel, with the addage of 'at what range you need them for'

it's been said, and i've said it in so many ways....'if the pellet wont hit dunt matter if its a nuke with go faster stripes..it missed!'

i look at it as an all rounder, from like 2 yards (risky pellet splatter) to 60 yards (on a good day)... piddling about with diferent pellet types can be tedious when you tyred or your meds take the edge of your memery lol... so one pellet does all.(just happens to be a round nose, along with the other 3 brands lol...). yu need that fluent reflex with the tragectry,,change the pellet and that edge isnt there any more, well untill you shot loads of diferent guns pellets powers for years, but thats a different learning curve.

i found out years ago, before the internet, the mags were glad ragged and ermmmm bum fodder, the adds were all that was about, but after postage it wasnt viable for my pocket, well, i wasnt willing to chuck the extra cash in the bin tbh, so it was a case of find the shop and suffer the better of the two evils that were on sale basically, today oooooooo the worlds yu oayster lol. i tried a few, and settled on 2, with AA feilds as the exspencive if i must. (they are hell of an accurate, just to pricey in my book).

sinario t think over... barn full of rats, ten yard max shooting, gaurenteed at some time thre'll be a 40 yard pigion shot, or the farmer gets exsighted and sais hey hey come out here, look a rabbit...35 yards away lol, so with them flat headed purple tipped wacking pellets, yu aint got a chance.

in reverse, this happens regular to me in my ghillie suit btw, set up for the 25-55 mark, and blow me if a squirrel or woody...jays what ever ends up at the 5 yard mark trying to work out what i am, with the rong pellet in and that very blurred image some pellets go right on through with little effect untill its 50 yard away from you lol...go and fetch it if you can find it lol.

hense..all rounder pellets, the same old familular tragectry, they always seem to be round nosed.

fac wise? neh not on an open forum...eeeeek lol. (if your there you need to try stuff out...cant say more than that).

Edited by ghillies

FAC - you still don't want to go beyond 975 fps, not in the real world, the noise and air used to go faster becomes exponentially greater. A friend managed to get a Crossman Prem to 1485fps about a month ago - just for fun. It was a case of "how fast can I get one to go?" He likes tinkering in his shed and has one rifle (a Rapid) that he uses purely as an experimental test bed....changes the barrel length, makes new valves and hammers, and plays around with porting and valves and stuf - clever so and so on a lathe etc. But for accuracy and economy of air,and reasonable sound levels, 950 seems about right. The noise from that supersonic pellet was deafening - louder than a rimfire fired soon afterwards for comparison.

Edited by Acuspell

Skot you now what im going to say,JSB EXACT JUMBO 15,89 i use them in all my rifles pcp and springers deadly accurate with a hard hitting power a bit expensive but you only get what you pay for and im a 22 man atvbmac :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

In my humble experience (bear in mind my last post is about a squirrel that wouldn't die), below 25 yards fancy pellets designs might work a bit better. I remember shooting a squirrel at exactly 25 yards with a H&N FTT in .177 (dome pellet) and the pellet entered the front of the head between the eyes, then traveled through the neck and somehow the left shoulder. The pellet looked new when I recovered it. I usually eat what I shoot, so this pretty much rules out dome pellets (for frontal shots - side on depends on backstop) at close range. I tried H&N hunter extreme and found them accurate up to 30 yards in my HW77. I recovered one from a very small squirrel and it had opened up a little. I have also used polymags with some success, but they're under probation following today's disaster.

For anything over 30 yards, I have to agree with everyone else and say that dome pellets (FTT for me) are the most accurate and therefore have to be used.

By the way, I did some expansion tests with quite a few pellets and yes, you do see some expansion in soap, but I have never seen this replicated to the same extent in squirrels, so it's not a very good test.