• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We did pretty well, at least I was pleased.   Some may know that I am pretty new to keepering. . . . . last season was my first real season doing it on my own.   I took over on a shoot that was fa

We had our first driven day of the season today.   How is your summer been lads and have any of you started at it, and if so, how's it going?    

Had another shoot today. Had 120 picked by the end of day, but i'm sure I will find more tomorrow. . . . Should have been more but the afternoon went a little awry. . . they had 91 by lunch. . . .  

Been beating, shot 63 Saturday (7 guns) and 19 today (3 guns) windiest day i've ever been out and the birds were going over at light speed so it was tough going. Mind you some 'easy' shots were missed by so called seasoned guns!! :laugh:

New syndicate at first said they didn't need another dog team, after one shoot day they were straight on the phone asking me to go down ;) all seem sound as a pound, the dog is putting a good shift in as per and the pup did excellent as well. Proud as punch. How was yours today mate?

Started last friday went well for first time through this friday could be fun though its a 400 bird day and the forecast gives a 30-35mph plus north easterly which makes these birds bloody hard.

How did you get on mate?

We did pretty well, at least I was pleased.

Some may know that I am pretty new to keepering. . . . . last season was my first real season doing it on my own.

I took over on a shoot that was failing. . . . badly. Their best day for the season preceeding my take over was 57.. . . . and they were shooting a lot of 20/30 bird days.

Last season went well. . . . although the weather etc was pretty forgiving in some respects. Our highest day was 111 picked on the day, with 115 picked by next morning.

This season has been a ball ache to hold the birds, with the good weather etc and we had them in early. . . . . so I was a little nervous.

But despite a few problems.. . . . . we shot 111 picked up yesterday. . . . with another 10-20 not picked on the day.

So everyone was over the moon. . . . . and i'm hoping we can keep over the 100 bird mark for the next few shoots. . . . maybe even break the shoot record. . . . . . . i'd really like to do the 150 :laugh:

Glad it's going ok for you lads :thumbs::victory:

• Like 6

had our first day yesterday

didn't go too bad even though the wind was wicked ,plenty of shots for not many birds

we concerntrate on the ducks for the first few shoots ended up with a total of 41 which was a little disappointing but a lot of the pheasants flushed were left , short tails etc

would have liked 50 but there still there for next shoot

My first day this sat so looking forward to that as will Be my pups first season. I've not even had chance to have a walk round rough shooting yet after all the grinding and welding to get the landy through it's mot I managed 3 large shards of steel in my eye shortly followed by it getting infected ;( back to work tomorrow tho so I might just have a walk out local this afternoon and see if I can still shoot straight (ish) lol

Good first shoot it was J, it was a bit too warm for beating :icon_eek: . Missed the last drive as i had a phone call to get back :censored: .

Guns were selective in the birds, which was good. Bloody knackered me out it did ( getting too old for them hills up / down / up again lol )

Those NEW wellies musta brought you luck lol

Bry

Glad it's going well for everyone. . . . .

BRY - Thanks a lot for being there mate. . . . . and I really missed you in the last drive, I had to run Jeff ragged :laugh: , and we missed a lot of birds even so, but still, plenty came out. :thumbs:

Aye, the new wellies must have done it. I'm keeping them clean for the next shoot day. . . . . they're my 'smart wellies' :laugh:

A few rats are starting to appear now mate :victory:

Glad it's going well for everyone. . . . .

BRY - Thanks a lot for being there mate. . . . . and I really missed you in the last drive, I had to run Jeff ragged :laugh: , and we missed a lot of birds even so, but still, plenty came out. :thumbs:

Aye, the new wellies must have done it. I'm keeping them clean for the next shoot day. . . . . they're my 'smart wellies' :laugh:

A few rats are starting to appear now mate :victory:

That just reminded me of this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Cj92OMf0aQ

:laugh:

• 2 weeks later...

:laugh:

Had another shoot today. Had 120 picked by the end of day, but i'm sure I will find more tomorrow. . . . Should have been more but the afternoon went a little awry. . . they had 91 by lunch. . . .

But some cracking birds flown and shot.

Someone described one drive as 'Biblical' :laugh::victory:

• Like 1