Wound Advice Needed

happened 5 days ago, my young hunter ran into a stake. vet said he had to leave it open to let it drain, put in a couple of stitches and that was it. he is getting 30 tabs a day in this feed. im contemplating getting another vet to stitch it up and just leave a small opening to drain. it looks bad now but i cant see how it will end up if i leave it like this. will the hair grow back? opinions and advice please people..

pic 1 after it happened,

pic 2 four days after.

post-57493-0-34462800-1381342225_thumb.jpeg

sack your vet and go t,o another, i aint heard so much crap, thats needs doing up your vet is shit and should be wrote off

i would have said the same skinner but the skin wound isnt the bad bit, he has a muscle slit down the middle of the wound, you cant see it from the pics but that is what needs to be open to drain apparently and if the skin is stitched back up over it it could lead to more problems. If i told you the practice and surgery this vet is from then it would make you wonder (top equine practice in ireland). my first thought would be to do as i do with the dogs if they get a rip or tear and that is to stitch it all up. this horse is worth a few quid so im not trusting myself to make the call..... there is a different vet booked to come tomorrow for a second opinion.

• Like 1

six of one and half a dozen of the other, close and you may lock in an infection, leave open and it may well get infected, but to be fair either can be treated although if that flap had been stitched back in place then the scaring would have been far less noticeable

there are no stiches pulled, you can see the the the pic the stitches on the right hand side of the wound, (white) that is the total of what was put in, the horse is in since and in very good form, eatin more than ever and is taken out in the morn, wound washed, pick of grass, half the tablets in morn feed, injection and second half the tabs in the evening feed and another pick of grass on a lead rope. the wound is weeping alot as the vet said it would and thats apparently a good thing......

there are no stiches pulled, you can see the the the pic the stitches on the right hand side of the wound, (white) that is the total of what was put in, the horse is in since and in very good form, eatin more than ever and is taken out in the morn, wound washed, pick of grass, half the tablets in morn feed, injection and second half the tabs in the evening feed and another pick of grass on a lead rope. the wound is weeping alot as the vet said it would and thats apparently a good thing......

as long as it stops moist it will heal from the inside out, that's possibly what the vet was getting at

six of one and half a dozen of the other, close and you may lock in an infection, leave open and it may well get infected, but to be fair either can be treated although if that flap had been stitched back in place then the scaring would have been far less noticeable

paulus gud man, thats exactly the info i was looking for, his verdict was to leave the flap die and sort that after, get the wound sorted and infection out, i know the vet isnt a fool as he wouldnt be where he is if he wasn't top of his game but this animal isnt his usual thouroughbred so mayby scarring wasnt high on his priority list!. there is no swelling or redness and the amount of antibiotics he is on i dont think infection is a worry at this stage. i would like to know how its going to look after and could a different vet even at this stage make a better job of it?

paulus gud man, thats exactly the info i was looking for, his verdict was to leave the flap die and sort that after, get the wound sorted and infection out, i know the vet isnt a fool as he wouldnt be where he is if he wasn't top of his game but this animal isnt his usual thouroughbred so mayby scarring wasnt high on his priority list!. there is no swelling or redness and the amount of antibiotics he is on i dont think infection is a worry at this stage. i would like to know how its going to look after and could a different vet even at this stage make a better job of it?

no, the longer its left uncovered the more the skin dies from the edge inwards new skin will grow but whether hair follicles will grow is doubtful

thats not so good! the vet that is comming tomorrow has seen the pics and is suggesting a skin graft just judging from the pics but will know more once she sees it. i dont think this will be an option because id say at a guess i would want a pretty hefty bank account to afford it (needless to say i dont have) but at the same time he is a cracking looking horse and only 4 so i will obviously try do as much as i can to reduce blemishing him. what would you do at this stage if he was yours paulus

?