.243 87 grain v-max

Hello snapshot i no longer load the 243 but used to use 87g all the time & a couple mate's the same & still on it.My mate backed it off to 36g of varget & had same result as 37g so load's that to save powder/recoil/pressure on rifle etc & was getting 1/2"MOA with fed brass & cci primer dont know velocity.Both rifle's were tika 595.

• 2 weeks later...

1000819lx1.jpg

1021478ca9.jpg

the top one is the 87g hornady, the bottom 95g nozzler.

snapshot 87grain hornady hollow point with 34.3g n140 do the job on anything. or like cramp says 95g nozzlers are very good to, i have found that they both shoot just about the same groups but 87g have the edge for me rgds remmy.

Edited by remmy

cheers for that remmy. shoot 95 gr nosler, myself great job but i'd be a bit doubtfull about the 87grain on deer, as it's a varmint round, did you ever have any runners? :thumbs: also do you always leave the coat on the carcas? most here skin them on the cleaning out....

cheers for that remmy. shoot 95 gr nosler, myself great job but i'd be a bit doubtfull about the 87grain on deer, as it's a varmint round, did you ever have any runners? :thumbs: also do you always leave the coat on the carcas? most here skin them on the cleaning out....

dont be doubtfull using them on deer snapshot there awsome on roe mate puts em straight down better than the 95g, there going 2,700fps i shot a fox the on friday afternoon 220yds curled up sleeping on a bank side, aimed an inch high and missed it with the first shot and shot it with the second one just aimed at it , i got put onto them from a comercial stalker that shoots into the hundreds of deer a year, he swears by them and now i know why , as for leaving the coat on the beast lasts longer in the chiller with its jacket on rgds remmy. :D

Edited by remmy
  • 10 months later...

hello,from tennessee! trying to work up a load for my son's (savage).243 with the 87 grain v-max, accuracy ain't very good so far , has a descent triangle pattern but is spread too far apart about 2 inches with 3 different loads at 100 yards dont know if its the aol or powder? have tried varget, h4895,imr 4350 ,rifle will shoot the off the shelf 100 grain power points from winchester great,rifle has a 1:9.5 twist . my son (age 14) has killed deer out past 400 yrds with it the last couple of years. uses a millidot scope set 1 inch high at 200 yards .he wants to shoot something that shoots a little flatter. i could use some help with this load if anyone dosen;t mind or has the time,any help would be appreciated, thanks 69 bigguy.

hello,from tennessee! trying to work up a load for my son's (savage).243 with the 87 grain v-max, accuracy ain't very good so far , has a descent triangle pattern but is spread too far apart about 2 inches with 3 different loads at 100 yards dont know if its the aol or powder? have tried varget, h4895,imr 4350 ,rifle will shoot the off the shelf 100 grain power points from winchester great,rifle has a 1:9.5 twist . my son (age 14) has killed deer out past 400 yrds with it the last couple of years. uses a millidot scope set 1 inch high at 200 yards .he wants to shoot something that shoots a little flatter. i could use some help with this load if anyone dosen;t mind or has the time,any help would be appreciated, thanks 69 bigguy.

What powder are you using at the minute.........i find that 43.6g of vit n160 with rem 9 1/2 primers group slightly over half inch at 100 yards :thumbs:

• 3 weeks later...

What powder are you using at the minute.........i find that 43.6g of vit n160 with rem 9 1/2 primers group slightly over half inch at 100 yards :thumbs:

hello snapshot, i'm tickled someone answered me back,so far i have tried 38.1 grns. varget(1 1/2) @100yrds. 38grns h4895 2 inch spread. i do get 1 inch group with 45.5 grns imr 4350. only going to use the 87 grain out to around 200yrds.from there on out will use hornady 100 grn soft points.i have'nt been handloading very long but i love it .oh yeah! i use cci large mag.rifle primers. goimg to try imr 4064 powder.it seems to be a little more consistant in my 270 hope it works for the 243 as well.thanks 69 bigguy!