Most Important Quality In A Dog Man...???

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

IMO the most important qualities are patience, humility, and the desire to learn. You can even learn from an idiot, even if it is just how NOT to do something!

honesty, as long as your honest about yourself and your mutts then everything else can be worked on...

For me it's patience.....never yet seen a dog ruined by giving it a bit of time, time to mature and develop the necessary physical and mental attributes to do the job, but I bet we've all seen dogs ru

Times a good answer so is patience and common sense but being able to change your own frame of mind, going against the grain of tried and tested methods which have always worked in the past to accommodate a difficult animal. mainly a trait in the older handlers....so I am saying versatility.

If the dog man is a working man... then the ability to survive on little to no sleep....

How true is this.

Monday this week I got home at 5am and didn't manage get my head down at all.

Wednesday I got home at 2 and back up at 6 for work.

And then Friday I was out till 2:30 and up at 5:30 sat for a mooch.

Reckon I will sleep well tonight and then it all starts again tomorrow :thumbs:

In and fed dogs by 6.30 this morning. Staryed work at 8.

Dont get me wrong ive been like a zombie all day and its a cracking night for it tonight but i couldnt handle it with having no sleep last noght :no:

Patience, respect and taking the time to REALLY know your dog inside out. Spending and investing enough time and effort so that you know what's going on with your dog just by looking in their eyes. Also to remember that the man-dog relationship is a two way thing, you expect their loyalty, its only right to give it back. Do everything with the best intention, always be open to new ideas and enjoy everyday...........................the time with them goes all too quick.

this is just an observation but some of the lads / lasses ive seen doing good things with there mutts have been quiet spoken mild natured sorts. you know the sort you always find them the same no matter whats happening around them. they are neither up nore down. dogs seem to respond better to them. my nature is up and down like a feckin yoyo. dont get me wrong i can do okay with my dogs. i just cant compete with the steady sorts. maybe dogs are like there owners. lol, all mine are wired wrong. like me :laugh:

it depends how you define routine gaz. your dogs sound like they have a routine to me . work sleep eat. do you feed before they work. or do you feed after they work. what are they fed..how much.

i never feed my dogs before work. i always give them the same food. always after working . i always feed the same amount to each dog. i give my dogs exersize around the same time every day if i change there habits it can have a negative effect . its an interesting point as .its a habit i have. i dont like to change there routine to much. all my dogs are relitively fit and well and long lived. to be fair they havnt got a massive workload. so its easy to keep them good..

OCD Ceanspade? :laugh: