Getting Dog To Hunt Cover

Hi lads,

Was wondering if you could give me a few pointers on how to get my 7 month old lab to hunt cover/ditches. She will go in a small bit now and then but not all the time. I know she is still young,does it come with time or is it taught?

Thanks

Jim

Hi mate, i have been having the same thing with my cocker pup, just in a few yards then straight back out. The only time she will commit to any type of cover is if i have threw a dummy in for her. Yesterday however it all just fell into place, she was doing her usual head in then back out, only this time on the way out a black bird exploded next to her. She just stopped looked at me then at the bird, then me again awaiting a command. Get on find it, and she was gone, i can honestly say she hunted perfectly, she coverd the ground beutifully, i did not see her utill recal all away around our walk. To say i was slightly relived was an understatmet lol, cheers all hh

As you know there is no better feeling than when it all starts kicking in HH :thumbs:

With my Lab i stopped giving her lots of dummy retrieves at about 6 months, doing blinds in thick cover.

Her retrieve drive was so strong she knew the only way she would get one was to hunt out the cover.

I then stopped completely when i started rough shooting rabbits over her, so she knew she had to flush the rabbit however thick the cover was if she had any chance of a retrieve.

After a few months she was and still does hunt like a demon, you can then go back to dummy work if you want to tidy her up.

• Like 2

Hi there dave c. Yes its a great feeling when you have put the effort and time into a pup and start to slowly see it all fall into place as they mature. Out this morning with her and she was a little unsure of the cover, but then she picked up some sent and picked up a bit. Once she was in the cover and steadely quartering she just seemed to settle to the task and worked well again today. She still hasnt been exposed to game as such yet so shes hunting, but she still dont know what for lol, cheers

Hi lads,

Was wondering if you could give me a few pointers on how to get my 7 month old lab to hunt cover/ditches. She will go in a small bit now and then but not all the time. I know she is still young,does it come with time or is it taught?

Thanks

Jim

very simple, you need 2 things - time and patience

As a pup they want to be with you but they like the smells and to date have not connected the two, never tell her to go in a wood in a harsh voice, just send her in encourage her and when she comes out don't worry, praise when in, say nothing when out, as they get older and they learn that's what they are supposed to do, it will come, go to areas where you can see her work, marshes are great for this as scent holds.

some on here say you should not start a dog until he is 12 months old, I had my 7 month working cocker out on pheasants last year and told everyone he is not there to work just to play at working and if he went in great if he didn't fine, but there were some days he was working really well and flushed many birds, this year they are in for a treat as he is working really well he now understands the play was fun but now its work and loves it..

Remember you never teach a dog to hunt - you educate it to hunt what you want.

• Like 2

I have the same a 8 month ld lab that has only just started working cover after chasing a rabbit into it last week now soon as I send him he carnt wait to get in as above soon as they put game and bushes together they'll be there

Thanks for the advice lads. Took her out for a run earlier. She rose 2 teal off a drain. I shot 1 and it dropped the far side of the drain. Sent her across to retrieve it. Took a bit of time but she found it. Couldn't be prouder. Her first retrieve of a duck

Edited by Jimy1971
  • Like 2

Thanks for the advice lads. Took her out for a run earlier. She rose 2 teal off a drain. I shot 1 and it dropped the far side of the drain. Sent her across to retrieve it. Took a bit of time but she found it. Couldn't be prouder. Her first retrieve of a duck

Well done Jimy, its great when thing start coming together, just dont push her to much she obviously wasnt ready but is coming on a bit now, she is still young but if you just go at her pace she will keep improving. :thumbs: