I was going to go into bushwear at the weekend and buy the usual branded tub of bird puller with the cartoon pheasant on it, but then I wondered if there was a cheaper alternative? Does any one know we're I could get my hands on any? Or any advice on using it? I heard one guy say it works wonders on ducks?

Can somebody explain to my why hand feeding wont work in conjunction with hoppers, because that's counter to my experience, allbeit I'm no professional keeper like many of you.

We feed wheat only in the hoppers and hand feed a seed/wheat/split maize etc etc mix and the difference between hoppers only and hopper/hand feeding conbined is quite significant....

Can somebody explain to my why hand feeding wont work in conjunction with hoppers, because that's counter to my experience, allbeit I'm no professional keeper like many of you.

We feed wheat only in the hoppers and hand feed a seed/wheat/split maize etc etc mix and the difference between hoppers only and hopper/hand feeding conbined is quite significant....

All shoots a different IMO mate. If you have an estate with an abundance of wild food then hand feeding may not work as well on an estate where birds have to rely on you for feed. Also it can come down to numbers of birds released. If you have a small shoot then again competition for food would be less on say a commercial shoot with thousands of birds released.

Bottom line is if your going to hand feed then you need to commit to feeding times 7 days a week and you kind of set your shoot up for the same drives and the same times all season.

I preferred to hand feed certain areas as well as hopper feed. Just make sure that water never runs out.

Vermin control and dogging in is more important than your choice of how you feed.

• Like 2