Can somebody explain to my why hand feeding wont work in conjunction with hoppers, because that's counter to my experience, allbeit I'm no professional keeper like many of you. We feed wheat only in the hoppers and hand feed a seed/wheat/split maize etc etc mix and the difference between hoppers only and hopper/hand feeding conbined is quite significant....

Because, at the crack of dawn birds will come off the roost, go to the bin & fill themselves up brim full, then proceed to pish off on a wonder for the rest off the day. When they hear you whistling on the feed ride, they don't have a reason to fly back to the ride as there crops are already full. Hand feeding works because it relies on keeping them hungry, if there not hungry it won't work. Simple as that.... It's such a fine line between success & failure, because if there too hungry they will just feck off, if there too full they'll feck off too, just a little slower :-) get it right & you'll be one happy keeper... I loved watching them fly or run half a mile to my whistle, a sight that would bring a smile to anyone's face.. Cutting down on 50% of dogging in is also a bonus

• Like 4

I dont beleave in any of them. Feed your birds regular times. Keep your feed rides in good condition Keep at the vermin dog in. Do your job

Its not as simple as that ...what if you run a small syndicate shoot that marches with another small shoot and dont have the luxury of having a man on the ground every day then a bit of flavour to your meat keeps your birds from straying.

• Like 1

I dont beleave in any of them. Feed your birds regular times. Keep your feed rides in good condition Keep at the vermin dog in. Do your job

Its not as simple as that ...what if you run a small syndicate shoot that marches with another small shoot and dont have the luxury of having a man on the ground every day then a bit of flavour to your meat keeps your birds from straying.
go dogging in you nighboughs covers the night before you shoot. !!!!!
  • Like 1

At night??

• Like 1

At night??
. Eh yeh to scare the birds of the roost onto your shoot humour lab. Humour Edited by gonetoearth

At night??

:duh::duh::nono:

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Like said ,do your hand feeding in the morning ,keep an eye on whats being eaten and adjust to suit and it will reduce the need to dog in by half .Better birds hanging round to glean the last than wondering full crop .Rake up straw regularly as old damp stuff not only harbours vermin but can create respiratory probs too .Run a few fenns to the side in the open ,covered obviously and never shoot vermin on the ride itself .This should be the area bids are most at ease .We used split maize ,wheat ,barley and sun flower seed mix but money was no object there .Keep the sides of the rides cut low or feed in a bare wood .Never good to have areas where charlie could rush out and grab one unseen {probably worried about nothing on the last point as that would never happen on a well keepered estate would it,lol]

Incidentally ,all this should start in the pen from day one .A bit of time spent watching each session is never wasted as it gives you a chance to glance over your birds in general.

• Like 1