What Tubing For An Old Black Widow?

Bit unaccustomed to the catty world so was hoping you chaps could help me out a bit.

Whilst clearing out my garage for a house move I found my old Black Widow that my dad gave me when I was a teenager, he'd had it for a few years before that so it's quite old! Maybe 30 years old? Needless to say the rubbers were perished completely so I need new ones! This is where my confusion begins, I read about theraband red, silver, black, barret tubing, this that and the other etc... What should I use? I'm pretty sure I right in saying I need tubes rather than flat bands as they need to push over the mounts, unless you guys know a clever way if converting?

I very much doubt I'll ever hunt with it so just for backyard target practice really.

Thanks in advance folks!

Jim

• 2 weeks later...

Well I got some dankung 5080 tubing, felt lovely to draw. Unfortunately I managed to lose the pouch I'd saved from the old set and with no scraps of leather lying about couldnt find anything to make a new one with. After a few days of "keeping my eye out" about the house for something to use for pouch material I just thought sack it! It'll be quicker to just buy some more bands with a pouch already on! So I did, they're cheap enough so not a bother. I ordered some Barnett Cobra tubes, supposedly red "power" tubes. Well I must say they are certainly a stronger draw than the dankung ones! They are a bit shorter mind, but even still they draw to my jaw and feel much more powerful. Gonna set up a 10m catty and pistol shooting range in my basement tonight and see what they can do!

Jim

Edited by WoodsmanJim

They may feel more powerful but that's not to mean they will send your ammo faster.

I thought the same mate, i think really highly of the barnett tubes but for smaller ammo there not a patch on the dankung, i use both but the Barnetts in my experience anyway dont really come into there own unless your firing BIG ammo

i would agree with all thats been said

also it is possible to fit a theraband flat bandset to the blackwidow,

there are instructions on youtube if you do a search

tried it myself and it does work and not at all difficult.

what size is your medium rig that caters for all your needs ;shefield catapults; if you don,t mind me asking.

i,m trying to work towards that sort of set up myself

ta

i would agree with all thats been said

also it is possible to fit a theraband flat bandset to the blackwidow,

there are instructions on youtube if you do a search

tried it myself and it does work and not at all difficult.

what size is your medium rig that caters for all your needs ;shefield catapults; if you don,t mind me asking.

i,m trying to work towards that sort of set up myself

ta

Hi mate, I find 20mm-15mm tapered TBG doubles are ideal for all the shooting I do, from 9.5mm target shooting to 18mm lead close range stuff.

All the best,

Jim.

thanks jim

will make up a set that size

at the moment my allrounder is 25mm to 10mm double tbg[ 10mm steel and 44 cal lead] but i,ve had the same theraband for quite a while now and i heard that the latest stuff is better and you don,t need as big a size.

i,m going to be ordering another 5m of it so it may be interesting

atb

stevie

thanks jim

will make up a set that size

at the moment my allrounder is 25mm to 10mm double tbg[ 10mm steel and 44 cal lead] but i,ve had the same theraband for quite a while now and i heard that the latest stuff is better and you don,t need as big a size.

i,m going to be ordering another 5m of it so it may be interesting

atb

stevie

The newer formula is a bit faster, it's ever so slightly thinner so some people found they needed to make their tapers slightly bigger. Personally I only noticed a very small difference and didn't find a need to alter mine. I have a feeling they changed the formula to cut costs as they also changed the amount that you get in a box.