Living In A Field - Permanently

I dont know how it works in england but over here you are required to have a herd number to keep 1 cow or 1000 cows to get a herd number you need 8acres+, a cattle crush, winter housing like a slatted shed etc. To keep a pig a you also needed a different herd number, pigs not too close to a residence, trough connected to mains water. Feed kept seperate to feed for other livestock and away from where you prepare food for humans. And a secure pen. To keep poultry you are required to register for a flock number and if you intend to sell eggs/meat thats even more paperwork. Goats and sheep also require a herd number. And horses an equine holding number.

But this is ireland... Look into everything, assume nothing

correct me if im wrong mate,but you can say you have rented 8 acres ,you do not have to own them,in order to get a herd number
dont know... I own 6.5acres renting land works out roughly 100euro per acre per year but finding anything under 20 acres for rent local to me isnt easy and i simply dont have enough livestock or horses to justify it... Plus its usually an 11mth lease if you are lucky or they specify cattle/sheep or hay/silage

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I did it for 3 years on my own land, I loved every second of it,had a bit of hassle from the council,when they told me my trailer had to be moved I did just that, to the other side of the field ,I the

ya need one of these.. this will get the council's head spinning,,lol......

just move in and if anybody from the council calls just tell them too fook of .useing an irish accent oh and park a transit pickup beside it .

Posted Images