Living In A Field - Permanently

I love all this stuff,, it's somthing I would like to do,,,, but know I won't,, think i Like the dream of it more than the actual doing it..

Although perhaps if I didn't have a wife or kids I would,,,I would certainly travel Europe living in a van

• Like 5

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I did it for 3 years on my own land, I loved every second of it,had a bit of hassle from the council,when they told me my trailer had to be moved I did just that, to the other side of the field ,I the

ya need one of these.. this will get the council's head spinning,,lol......

just move in and if anybody from the council calls just tell them too fook of .useing an irish accent oh and park a transit pickup beside it .

Posted Images

Cheers for the replies. I am serious about this but it isn't something I can do for a while yet (due to being broke as a joke), I have made the biggest step so far and convinced the mrs though :laugh:. The reason for doing this is that I couldn't care less about having a nice house it is the land I want and I can't afford both. It would kill me to get a mortgage for a small terraced house with a tiny garden when I could buy 6 acres and a static for half as much and do everything I want.

The plan is to buy as much land as possible that would be about 2/3 woodland and then leave some other open land to just be wild, so it will be a good environmental benefit. I will build a chicken run 50% open and 50% woodland etc so it should all blend in nicely and not be an eyesore if done right, which it would be. Overall I can't see why anyone would have any qualms with it.

Biggest issue now though is if it would be possible to have power/water, I have lived for 6 months without either in a freezing cold canal boat but I am not sure I could put up with it for years at a stretch. My only thought right now is to not be too remote or maybe nearby a campsite and then just pay an extortionate amount to have the power/water connected to the stables :whistling:

Oh and definitely not going to have kids, just dogs, chickens, a hawk and the mrs wants a pet cow and sheep :laugh: The conversation of eating them has been breached, so far she would eat a chicken if we had loads but wouldn't eat a pig etc because she would get too attached (I definitely wouldn't mind :icon_redface::whistling: ). Oh well, I would make sure I would have full sporting rights to the land so I am sure there won't be any lack of sika round here and I am sure I wouldn't mind letting others rid the woods of every damn grey squirrel it contains, if it were possible I would want to fence it off and introduce reds but that is too much of a dream I think.

• Like 1

I dont know how it works in england but over here you are required to have a herd number to keep 1 cow or 1000 cows to get a herd number you need 8acres+, a cattle crush, winter housing like a slatted shed etc. To keep a pig a you also needed a different herd number, pigs not too close to a residence, trough connected to mains water. Feed kept seperate to feed for other livestock and away from where you prepare food for humans. And a secure pen. To keep poultry you are required to register for a flock number and if you intend to sell eggs/meat thats even more paperwork. Goats and sheep also require a herd number. And horses an equine holding number.

But this is ireland... Look into everything, assume nothing

I dont know how it works in england but over here you are required to have a herd number to keep 1 cow or 1000 cows to get a herd number you need 8acres+, a cattle crush, winter housing like a slatted shed etc. To keep a pig a you also needed a different herd number, pigs not too close to a residence, trough connected to mains water. Feed kept seperate to feed for other livestock and away from where you prepare food for humans. And a secure pen. To keep poultry you are required to register for a flock number and if you intend to sell eggs/meat thats even more paperwork. Goats and sheep also require a herd number. And horses an equine holding number.

I think ours is a CPH, council parish holding or something

http://www.smallholder.co.uk/news/927599.registering_a_holding/

Edited by RubyTex

You will need at least power and genarators cost a small fourtune too run if on for everything and a source for heat something that can run of gas or a stove maybe transportation if uve got a job a freezer chest size at least and there is a saying

WINTER IS COMING cos it gets f*****g cold living in a caravan

Not with a good wood burner in it does not, I used to be sat in me boxers and t shirt, and it was minus 6 outside, and I am not joking a good wood burning stove is all you need to keep you warm as toast.

You will need at least power and genarators cost a small fourtune too run if on for everything and a source for heat something that can run of gas or a stove maybe transportation if uve got a job a freezer chest size at least and there is a saying

Not with a good wood burner in it does not, I used to be sat in me boxers and t shirt, and it was minus 6 outside, and I am not joking a good wood burning stove is all you need to keep you warm as toast.
I have oil filled rads but I'm not paying for electric

I had one on the canal boat I stayed on and I will definitely make sure to have one in the static when the time comes. Once it had been going for an hour or so I would have to open the door to let some cool air in, in a crappy old boat with loose single glazing so I am not worried in the slightest, you can get good quality statics now too that are just bungalows as far as I can tell.

I would like to use solar if it isn't too expensive, a wind turbine would be a potential eyesore and I wouldn't want to upset any locals. Plus solar can be picked up and moved with less bother if you have to, but I would need a shed full of batteries which I imagine would cost a fortune to replace every few years.

I have never heard anything like that, do you mean those are the rules if keeping stock is the reason for staying on the land? Or can you not even keep chickens in your back garden and sell a few eggs to neighbours without the paperwork in Ireland? Sounds funny when you can buy big cats without a license over there (unless that changed in the last few years?)

I have never heard anything like that, do you mean those are the rules if keeping stock is the reason for staying on the land? Or can you not even keep chickens in your back garden and sell a few eggs to neighbours without the paperwork in Ireland? Sounds funny when you can buy big cats without a license over there (unless that changed in the last few years?)

thats exactly how it is... If i was to pay attention to the law here i couldnt even sell poultry or eggs without a flock number... The department could come into my back yard order the destruction of all livestock and charge me for it and take me to court if they pleased... Fortunately they are too busy and ive sold nearly all my livestock for the winter... Except the horses but they are legal lol... If i get a pet caiman, lion, monkey... There is little that the authorities can do as long as i do not neglect it.

that may be k if you have your own wood pile stacked a year before you move in and that would mean setting up a hot water system and set it all up when a caravan might alrdy have a gas stystem in for hot water

correct me if im wrong mate,but you can say you have rented 8 acres ,you do not have to own them,in order to get a herd number