Thank Quad For That !

I thought I would add to this subject rather than start a new one as its sort of relevant.

After a battering overnight from the storms I was out early this morning with my chainsaw to see if I could help out, it proved useful (see my thread) I was told I was a very nice guy by a farmer, I didn't hound him that will come. I moved a few other branches from land I currently shoot just makes me that nice guy and keeps in with farmers its good to help them occasionally.

Then came home and had an early lunch and went to walk the land I gained last week, saw some nice deer and a big white stag, I wondered where he was I haven't seen him for a couple of years, but I did all the land saw what was where and saw plenty of slot, I did take the rifle as you never know and walking to the edge of the land I turned and wandered back, there is a main road to the south so no point walking that. I decided to walk back across a field as I walked through the wood going, its a lovely field with a steep bank and as I was about to cross the fence from the wood to the field I saw a nice roe buck grazing, being as I want to make an effort here and he said the little brown things eat his flowers and the pretty ones eat the grass I thought better do what he has asked me to, so I dropped back into the wood and walked along about 100 yds and as I approached the edge of the field he was in the same place grazing, I stood up behind a tree and removed the covers of the Z6i as he looked at me for the last time I sent a carefully placed bullet between the eyes.

As I still had a couple of hours of light I drove a mile and parked up on the side of the road to another wood, I crept through as it was later than I normally go and after nearly treading on a cock pheasant who told the world I was there I made good time, I have a high seat on the edge of the wood but the wind was wrong for that so I went to the top of the field and laid in some brambles an area I have been to a couple of times so its well squashed, it gives a lovely view downhill and about 200 yds of woodland all below me. After an hour I saw 8 fallow does run out in the field and all start playing running round rearing up like goats and bumping each other even the mature does were joining in a bit, then a few more came out in total there was 17 but the only bucks were too small I did think where is the big one he is there somewhere and scouted the edge of the wood in search of him, now I would be surprised if a herd like that didn't have a big buck and ive not had any from that wood yet and I know there are 2 stags in there, I waited and waited and he wasn't there so I just enjoyed the show I was getting from the doe's running around, thinking I may as well call it a day I gave another sweep of the wood and nothing but as I lowered the glasses my eye was drawn to my left where a big buck wandered out to his mates, he was about 120 yds to my left and he was big and he went to them and he walked around, as I raised the rifle I was in 2 minds whether to take him or not, I hadn't had any in that wood yet and I doubt I will now, I am aware there are 2 of them and there are some other males kicking around, so yep its his turn. I think he was on speed as he just walked and walked and would not stop, I made a funny noise and all the other looked but he didn't he was too busy walking round in circles and then he stopped and looked around and I placed the cross on his neck he was now at about 150 yds and I gave one click on the turret on the scope just to help me out, with the cross still on his neck the safety was taken off and he walked forward again, bugg@r I thought, and turned to me and walked towards me about 10 paces and turned now he was side on walking and I lined up on the neck again and he stopped yes he we go but no he walks off again before stopping turned to my direction and looked around I was still ready but cautious as he had been making sudden movements as he looked to his right I still had a good position to drop him and sent the bullet flying, just as my brain sent the message to squeeze I saw him move but the signal was in the departure lounge and on its way to my finger, all in a milli second, he dropped and all the others just looked up and started to walk then ran for the woods.

That was the easy bit now comes the hard work and I put the gun over my shoulder, took out a rope I carry and put it round his neck, I started to drag and that was hard, either he was heavy or my age is really creeping up, so I left him there and went to my jeep and drove to my yard which is only about 5 mins and collected the quad and returned to collect him, now I still had to get the bl@@dy thing on the front of the quad which I struggled to do and the rest was easy.

Home now and all sorted after he was relieved of the unwanted parts the scales recorded 60kg so I would say I dragged 80Kg across the field.

what was interesting was the shot that dropped the stag went through the neck but that quick turn of his head put an antler in the way of the bullet as he has a clean hole though the antler into the top of the neck.

well that's my exercise for the day and thanks Sussex for starting this thread as this story fits in perfectly