Defender Advice

What i'd like to know is, if Land Rovers are so bad why is it that they are what everyone compares their 4x4's against "it will piss all over a land rover".

Because defenders are rated highly off road, which I don't doubt for a second. But there are some as good off road vehicles out there which don't cost the earth for a good one, don't rust, drive better, tow better are epically reliable and still hold there value.......No brainer..............80 series diesel...It literately will "piss all over a landrover"

IMG_0080_zpsd07cf313.jpg

my dog bus is a 92 80 series 4.2vx with 657895 miles on the clock and ive just treated her to new injectors 30-31 mpg cracking ultra reliable old bus of to france soon and germany in jan , they havent made a landy to do that milage on one engine the old girls on the button everytime she gets abused bigtime but keeps going ,landrovers are for people with to much time on there hands and money to burn as there never a weekend free always fixing the landy not for me toyota all the way ive no time to fix it to much digging to do

• Like 2

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

sorry to put a damper on things guys, i have a defender 300tdi, 1997, 115,000 mile, does aprox 30mpg, passes mot every year ( apart from when needed brake pipes etc due to corrosion, and new rear cros

I use the defender to travel to my permission 120 mls round trip not a problem unless your in a hurry and yes they are agricultural and don't come near to the comfort you find in jap stuff they do get

For £3000 you will get a lump of rusty metal that will break down all the time...... But you will get £3000 back for it.....   £3000 would also buy you a nice 3.0 hilux surf, or other jap truck.....

• 3 weeks later...

I've got an 1989 2.5td as my first car. If you look carefully and don't but the first thing you look at you can come away with a good deal, I paid £2500 for a car with good mechanicals apart from a worn out drag link and the body work was faded, other than that it's all good condition and will last for ever of looked after.

Another point to consider is that when your defender breaks it's much easier and cheaper to fix than if the same thing happened to a jap truck. Also if you do wear the thing out you can rebuild it all for minimal outlay and learn more about cars and mechanics whilst doing it. Or alternatively you would be bales to sell the worn out car for near enough what you paid for it :)

Hope that helps

• Like 1

i got 1992 90" for £2000 spent about £500 tarting it up a bit and getting MOT sorted and got offered £4000 last week! but i couldnt bring myself to sell it, theres parts of me welded to that motor and parts of that motor welded to me lol no joke i had to get 3 large shards of steel dug out my eyeball with a needle, then an infection to boot! blood sweat and tears! but ive enjoyed every minute of it, and theres still plenty to do as and when time and money allow. :thumbs:

this is a good read,had me chuckling to my self reading a light hearted bit of banter,seems you either like land rover or don't really,i personally have no experience of them just some jap stuff that friends have owned which i remember coping with anything asked of them(a vitara and a shogun).

sorry it's a bit off the point but wanted my 10p's worth.....

if he wants the ultimate off roader then he should buy a modded Suzuki jimny and wave bye bye to all the landrovers

I agree! Since buying my Jimny the beginning of the year I've never looked back. I do loads of mole control on varying terrain from grass fields to grouse moors and the 'Green Machine' ain't ever let me down ;) Mine ain't modded (yet), although I do have A/T's on it and it's surprising just where it can go as it is.

Sorry to disagree but iv had a vitara standard then modded then a jimney and Modded (vitara 2 years and jimny 3 years) iv had my landrover 90 1 year and gone on my permission where I couldent go before as I got stuck also places I couldent go on pay and play sites with my beloved zooks and my 90 is standard. Its annoying hearing the suzuki jimny/vitara argument they are nothing like each other the 90 ticks over through bogs my vitara got stuck in I am not trying to be rude or cause an argument but in my experience a defender vs a vit/jimny is no comparison and believe me I love my zooks!

Ps all had marix puma tyres on and iv not used difflock yet!

Edited by tomburras
  • Like 2

I agree with tomburras landrover vs jimny haha had a jimny not for long but had one fit 2" lift huge mud/snow tyres and it was shocking hated it on road and that bad in snow it got crashed by our lass.

Had a vitara bobtail extreme off roader modded to hell and my standard petrol 90 with ats on wiped the floor with that

Landrover all the way but each to there own

Edited by mattybugeye

With the correct tyres and a knowledge of how to drive off road you shouldn't ever get stuck. Getting stuck is what those who don't know their vehicles capabilities and don't have the correct tyres on do ;)

If you don't get stuck now and again your not trying hard enough getting stuck is part of the fun

Very surprised you not got jimny stuck yet haha

Ive had a 300tdi 90 pick up g reg and I miss it like f**k!

Had a suspension lift and 33" tyres on it and ive never seen anything like it off road. It cost £5500 fully kitted out and I never had to lift the bonnet for anything other than maintenance. Fuel gauge - no, speedo - no, radio - no etc etc but the engine was spot on as was the body.

Only owned one jap car (Mitsubishi galant v6) spent my life and wallet under the bonnet of that heap! I wouldn't mind either it was one elderly owner from new with full service history!

Also insurance wise I was 19 when I had it as a second car but separate policies. I had a 1.8 astra that cost me 2.5k a year. I insured the defender with Adrian flux co and it cost me £600 fully comp.

You'd have a job to get me to buy any 4x4 than a land rover!

Also to add to the getting stuck, I used to try and get mine stuck in bogs and half up steep inclines etc. I only put it in 4wd a handful of times as it just didn't need it to get out!

Put a decent set of tyres on it and a defender will just eat whatever you throw at it!

Also to add to the getting stuck, I used to try and get mine stuck in bogs and half up steep inclines etc. I only put it in 4wd a handful of times as it just didn't need it to get out!

Put a decent set of tyres on it and a defender will just eat whatever you throw at it!

a 300tdi landrover is in constant 4 wheel drive but with a lockable centre difflock :thumbs:

• Like 2

a 300tdi landrover is in constant 4 wheel drive but with a lockable centre difflock :thumbs:

Im assuming the Greg pick up had the 300tdi fitted because if you thought it was a geniune G reg with a factory fitted 300 in it..then it was a bent un :laugh:

• Like 3