Defender Advice

I had a landrover 55 plate double cab pickup a couple of year back, at 50k it had had a new wiper motor and starter motor fitted, vehicle before that was a navara bought it new 2001, sold it 2011 and the only thing it cost was your run of the mill running costs. The only upside I can see to a landrover is they always hold their money and no matter how much a lump of shit it is, some half daft blinkered landrover enthusiast will give you crazy money for it.

• Like 1

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

sorry to put a damper on things guys, i have a defender 300tdi, 1997, 115,000 mile, does aprox 30mpg, passes mot every year ( apart from when needed brake pipes etc due to corrosion, and new rear cros

I use the defender to travel to my permission 120 mls round trip not a problem unless your in a hurry and yes they are agricultural and don't come near to the comfort you find in jap stuff they do get

For £3000 you will get a lump of rusty metal that will break down all the time...... But you will get £3000 back for it.....   £3000 would also buy you a nice 3.0 hilux surf, or other jap truck.....

For your £3k, you won't get much.

It will need a lot of work unless you happen to be really lucky and find someone who doesn't know what they go for.

Watch out for tarted up motor. Pleanty folk willing to skin ya out there.

Had a few landy's over the years, and some of the so called 'Repairs' I have came across would shock you. :icon_eek:

Much cheaper for parts, but as has been mentioned, look out with patern parts, Genuine will be better, but obviously dearer.

I have an old Series landy with a 200TDi in it. Range Rover Diffs and an Over Drive. 1969, so no road Tax, and it suits me down to the ground. Good old Tractor! Classic Insurance, give it some diesel, and away she goes.

No luxuries (apart from a diesel night heater, and an upgrade to doors with winding windows - Not electric, just winding)

A good series 3 will nearly set you back the £3 Grand when I come to think of it..

• Like 1

For your £3k, you won't get much.

It will need a lot of work unless you happen to be really lucky and find someone who doesn't know what they go for.

Watch out for tarted up motor. Pleanty folk willing to skin ya out there.

Had a few landy's over the years, and some of the so called 'Repairs' I have came across would shock you. :icon_eek:

Much cheaper for parts, but as has been mentioned, look out with patern parts, Genuine will be better, but obviously dearer.

I have an old Series landy with a 200TDi in it. Range Rover Diffs and an Over Drive. 1969, so no road Tax, and it suits me down to the ground. Good old Tractor! Classic Insurance, give it some diesel, and away she goes.

No luxuries (apart from a diesel night heater, and an upgrade to doors with winding windows - Not electric, just winding)

A good series 3 will nearly set you back the £3 Grand when I come to think of it..

spot on there fella :thumbs: i like your thinking

Buy anything other than a landy, and consider your £3 Grand as gone within say 5 years.

Put it towards a landy, look after it, and you'll still be rompin about in it in 10 years time.

BUT -

Be VERY Cautious with what you buy initially!

Spray of old oil underneath every year and she'll out last any of the others.

Personally, I'd avoid the Discovery.

Yes, more comforts etc which the Jap. options offer you, but they are far more prone to rot away from under you, and again, like the Jap stuff, they have too much unnecisary electrical c*ap to f**k up fitted!

If you are doing 100's of miles a week on the roads, fair enough, Discovery or Jap will be 1000 times better than an old landy.

If it's for crawling around the fields, and 'workin'......Go for the landy.

:thumbs:

Buy anything other than a landy, and consider your £3 Grand as gone within say 5 years.

Put it towards a landy, look after it, and you'll still be rompin about in it in 10 years time.

BUT -

Yes, more comforts etc which the Jap. options offer you, but they are far more prone to rot away from under you, and again, like the Jap stuff, they have too much unnecisary electrical c*ap to f**k up fitted!

If you are doing 100's of miles a week on the roads, fair enough, Discovery or Jap will be 1000 times better than an old landy.

Imagine the work you would have to do on a £3k defender over 5 years. and you would get your money back just the same if you bought an 80 series landcruiser for £3k.

Would still rather have a hilux with a good set of muds........

• Like 2

BUT -

Imagine the work you would have to do on a £3k defender over 5 years. and you would get your money back just the same if you bought an 80 series landcruiser for £3k.

Would still rather have a hilux with a good set of muds........

;)

200 tdi - 300 tdi defender defo all the way or even a disco but defo keep away from Td5s forget about the jap shite soon as I get my licence bk in January al be buying another Landy strate away

Jap shite? Really? Well perhaps you should ask the guys in the outback in Oz which is best, they will not touch shitty landrovers with a barge pole, when your nearest neighbours can be a hundred miles away, you need something uber reliable, that is why they all run Toyota landcruisers my friend, personally I like them despite working on them for years, would I have another? Yes but only as a toy/shooting truck, as a daily driver they are crap, unless you are pottering around near home, but I agree if you spend £3000 on a rusty pile of shit, you will get it back in a few years, and it will still be an oil leaking rusty pile of shite,that some silly shirt front, cant wait to part with his money for.

Charlie caller you are dead right, my dad has got a 1994 Toyota landcruiser vx 4.2 td, top of the range, he has owned it for about 16 years now and in that time it has never let him down, totally reliable and very comfortable on/off road, with it being two and a half ton in weight it tows heavier weights really well, you could probably just drive these vehicles around the world with ease, and also I was talking to my mate, and he told me it was voted one of the best vehicles ever made in the world, as stated from a car magazine, so when someone says that jap 4x4's are shit when comparing them to landrovers, it shows that they are talking out of there arse!

• Like 3

What i'd like to know is, if Land Rovers are so bad why is it that they are what everyone compares their 4x4's against "it will piss all over a land rover".

Because defenders are rated highly off road, which I don't doubt for a second. But there are some as good off road vehicles out there which don't cost the earth for a good one, don't rust, drive better, tow better are epically reliable and still hold there value.......No brainer..............80 series diesel...It literately will "piss all over a landrover"

IMG_0080_zpsd07cf313.jpg

• Like 1

What i'd like to know is, if Land Rovers are so bad why is it that they are what everyone compares their 4x4's against "it will piss all over a land rover".

Because defenders are rated highly off road, which I don't doubt for a second. But there are some as good off road vehicles out there which don't cost the earth for a good one, don't rust, drive better, tow better are epically reliable and still hold there value.......No brainer..............80 series diesel...It literately will "piss all over a landrover"

IMG_0080_zpsd07cf313.jpg

:laugh:

IMG_0080_zpsd07cf313.jpg

:laugh:

I like the fact that that was clearly the ONLY thing you didn't agree with :thumbs::toast:

• Like 1