78 replies to this topic

#1 hugo1

hugo1

Mega Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 646 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 07:38 pm

I am saving for a defender quite like swb 90 pickup I want the 2.5d as only my second car so insurance would be to high for a turbo got about £3000 so what would I get for my money age and miles rise is there any thing to look out noise hidden rust spots etc and what sort of mpg would I get from it and is there any model not to get and what they like for towing and repair price

many thanks for any advice

hugo

#2 DeerhoundLurcherMan

DeerhoundLurcherMan

Extreme Hunter

• Donator
  • 1,223 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 08:01 pm

For £3000 you will get a lump of rusty metal that will break down all the time...... But you will get £3000 back for it.....

£3000 would also buy you a nice 3.0 hilux surf, or other jap truck......... 

• jimmyg, The Seeker and charlie caller like this

#3 hugo1

hugo1

Mega Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 646 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 09:36 pm

So would u advice against a defender

#4 bullcross13

bullcross13

Born Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 09:50 pm

Only buy one if you are good with spanners and don't want to drive it long distance I have had jap trucks then decided to try a td5 had it for a few years but in the end had to go back to jap go and try a few different make you will soon make your mind up atb with what ever you get

Edited by bullcross13, 23 September 2013 - 09:50 pm.

#5 hugo1

hugo1

Mega Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 646 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 09:54 pm

So defender off the cards then any recomdations on trucks

#6 DeerhoundLurcherMan

DeerhoundLurcherMan

Extreme Hunter

• Donator
  • 1,223 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 11:31 pm

I wouldnt bother with a defender unless you had more like 10 grand........ They just hold there money so well that you have to shell out for a good'un. 

3 grands worth of 3.0 hilux surf gen 3 would be a good reliable motor.......So would 3 grands worth of diahatsu fourtrak.

They would be my choices...........

#7 hugo1

hugo1

Mega Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 646 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 05:33 am

Ok cheers

#8 charlie caller

charlie caller

Triple Two Fan

• Donator
  • 5,237 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 02:46 pm

Don't do it they are a pile of crap, you will be under it constantly, I should know I used to be a Landrover mechanic, instead buy yourself a Shogun, Trooper, Nissan terrano 2, something that wont go wrong constantly, oh and the 2.5 n/a is as gutless as fu-k, and the 2.5td blow up at 70k, if you really must waste your hard earned cash, a 200tdi at the very least, DONT DO IT.

#9 hugo1

hugo1

Mega Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 646 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 05:27 pm

ok cheers guys like the look of a shogun

#10 ftm

ftm

Extreme Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,044 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 07:54 pm

owned a defender and lived underneath it constantly fixing it + side is I ran It on cooking oil![summer months only ]

#11 air gun ant

air gun ant

Extreme Hunter

• Donator
  • 3,521 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 07:03 pm

Learn to weld and your half way there, I bought one 2 months ago I've spent the last 2 months under it and had it fail the mot on Somat stupid today lol it will pass next week! It's a j reg 200tdi and I've loved every minute of it but it's definatly a love hate thing! If you can find one cheap enough and put your blood sweat and tears in to it you just won't loose money!

#12 Bootsha

Bootsha

Spitting Image of Shakin Stevens. No!!

• Donator
  • 3,198 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 07:14 pm

sorry to put a damper on things guys, i have a defender 300tdi, 1997, 115,000 mile, does aprox 30mpg, passes mot every year ( apart from when needed brake pipes etc due to corrosion, and new rear cross member), get under it once a year to service it, twice a year to spray black oil on the chassis. pulls my trailer full of firewood like a f****n train ( 8x4 with high sides ifor williams) etc etc, and to the contrary, i have had jap crap........ i would never consider anything else than a landrover tbh, had her second hand from 3 years old............... pulled many a "jap" 4x4 out of shit. There ya go fella, a different opinion for you.

But i have had it stuck up to the floor panels just the once :icon_redface:  :D

Regards

• Born Hunter, chid21, poacherkev and 5 others like this

#13 Rawly86

Rawly86

Rookie Hunter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 07:16 pm

Ive got one had it for 9-10 years, and I love it.  It breaks down a fair bit (currently having a new gearbox put in).  But I would not change it.  If you are willing to learn and have a bit of mechanical know how you should be fine.

here's a pic of mine. 

IMG_0884-1.jpg

Edited by Rawly86, 26 September 2013 - 07:19 pm.

• green oval and BOLSTER like this

#14 green oval

green oval

Mega Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 345 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 08:30 pm

I wouldnt bother with a defender unless you had more like 10 grand........ They just hold there money so well that you have to shell out for a good'un. 

3 grands worth of 3.0 hilux surf gen 3 would be a good reliable motor.......So would 3 grands worth of diahatsu fourtrak.

They would be my choices...........

A fourtrak makes a series 3 land rover look modern and highly speced....lol awful bits of shit.

#15 DeerhoundLurcherMan

DeerhoundLurcherMan

Extreme Hunter

• Donator
  • 1,223 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 09:57 pm

sorry to put a damper on things guys, i have a defender 300tdi, 1997, 115,000 mile, does aprox 30mpg, passes mot every year ( apart from when needed brake pipes etc due to corrosion, and new rear cross member), get under it once a year to service it, twice a year to spray black oil on the chassis. pulls my trailer full of firewood like a f****n train ( 8x4 with high sides ifor williams) etc etc, and to the contrary, i have had jap crap........ i would never consider anything else than a landrover tbh, had her second hand from 3 years old............... pulled many a "jap" 4x4 out of shit. There ya go fella, a different opinion for you.

But i have had it stuck up to the floor panels just the once :icon_redface:  :D

Regards

But your 97 300tdi is probably worth £6000+

Like I said £3000 would buy you a lump of old shit.........

• The Seeker and charlie caller like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users