Navara Trouble

Hiya all,

I drive a crew cab Navara - family car, I use it to go to work and take little one to the babysitter, Malc takes it out sometimes with the dogs when he's going off road, and then if we go anywhere with the dogs and nipper as a family we use it. Other car is single cab Hilux with only 2 seats (no good for the 3 of us).

Problem we have with it is it slides on the back end. It's happened the odd time with me and it has really scared me, happened a few times with Malc and it's scared us both (happened earlier tonight coming off a roundabout and we ended up mounted the motorway banking then going up the other side before Malc could get it under control - thank god there were no cars in the other lane!).

It's worst when it has recently rained and the roads are greasy, and worst going round sharp bends and roundabouts. I know you've got to drive it bloomin carefully when its wet, but I see other crew cabs pickups bombing along roads, and I can't do that.

Last winter I drove it with 2 huge tree trunks in the back to add some weight to the back. But they've been chopped up for fire wood for this winter.

What can we do? We're going to put some heavy flag stones in the back to give it some weight which will make a difference. Is there anything else we can do. Anything with the tyres? Anything?

I want to sort this before something bad happens.

Any advise appreicated!

Thank you!

Shell

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What tyres are on it shell? I just got a Ford ranger pick up and it was leathal coming off round abouts nearly smashed it twice on my way home from getting it. If there had been other cars Id have been F*cked. Since I put the BF Goodrich on it I aint had a single problem.

Regards highlander.

Hello Shell

I have the same problem with my Nav twin cab! it was alot worse without the snugtop and even lighter on the backend. like you said during wet conditions it could be Hazzardous with the backend stepping out on roundabouts and even stepped out booting it out of a junction.

I don't know if you have a snugtop but it helps as these are a heavy bit of kit on buck, the other thing I have been told is Tyres? mine are getting pretty low now and need to be re-shod, the one's Im running at the moment are for Road use only but they skate all over the place, I'm now planning on getting some BF Goodrich's, I'll let you know if this helps or not....

Cheers

Jasper

Not sure what sort of tyres it is on... they've plenty of tread on them etc, but if new ones would make a difference I'll buy them. Money doesn't matter when it's me and Nimmy in the car. Would never forgive myself if anything happened to Nim (daughter) if something bad happened when she's in the car. When we had to have a new tyre because of a flat a few months back, I asked the lad at the garage (who is a sound mate of ours) if changing the tyres would help, he reckoned the ones we had were all right - it seems they might not be.

Might have to look at getting some BF Goodrichs. Jasper - please let me know how you get on - I'll do the same if we get some before you. The same happens at junctions sometimes with ours.

We've got an Ifor back on and a tow hitch which adds a little weight. We're going to put some weight in it tomorrow (paving slabs etc). Which will help. But will give me some piece of mind for the time being!

It was quite frightening earlier on. I just don't want anything happening when I'm driving it and I've not got as much experience driving as Malc (he's got a good 8 years on me!!!!!)

Cheers for your advice guys,

shell

Hello Shell

I would take it easy in it until things hopefully can be made better. I have the two kids in the back of mine but ease up alot on some tight bends expecially in the wet, By the sounds of it the BF's will do the job as they're supposed to be the real deal when it comes to grip :thumbs:..

Cheers

Jasper

Cheers Jasper - I don't drive it fast or silly as I know what it can be like! I suppose part of the problem is knowing how it can be in different conditions. Thank God I've never had to drive it in ice or snow!!!! Although it is much better in 4wd!

Think we'll look into some new tyres.

Thanks again,

Shell

had the same problem with mine. changed the tryes and has made a differance but im still carefull on bends. think most of the 4x4 pickups crewcabs will be the same. just ease of the gas a little on bends and you should be ok. :thumbs:

The thing I had the problem with was moving from a SWB Trooper to a Crew cab pick up I could accellerate out of roundabouts and corners nobother in the Trooper the only time I had it kick out on me was on and icy road when I was on my way shooting. But the Ranger is a different kettle of fish its fine pulling a trailor or with weight in the back but on its own it was a night mare till I fitter the BF's. Putting weight in the back shell will work but it will drink more fuel. In the process of getting it Super chipped then I will tell you how good the BF's are.

Regards highlander.

As already said, tyres would help a bit, or you could play with the suspension set up, this would cost a bit though. You could also sacrifice it's off-road capabilities by doing it, which would be defeating the object a bit :wallbash:

Personally, I'd just be very aware of this and drive with it in mind at all times............Al :)

Thanks for the replies guys. Advice greatly appreciated. :)

I moved from a SWB Maverick to the Navara. The maverick was brilliant - a pleasure to drive, but no good for transporting 7 dogs and child around! Love the Navara other than this problem.

Fuel consumption is already amazing on it, so a bit of weight in the back won't make much difference - I already drive it with a diesel pump constantly attached to it!!! ;) It's a greedy begar!!! Don't fancy messing about with the suspension as it does get used off road. Wouldn't want to risk its capabilities.

The thing yesterday was that we were taking it really steady as it had just started raining and we knew what could happen. It caught us both off guard!

If new tyres would help, even just a little, then we'll get some. Will phone up on Monday and get some sorted. In the meantime, fingers crossed it doesn't rain!!!

Cheers and thanks again,

Shell

Nice one Highlander!! Let us know what the verdict is on the Super Chip. I have seen them advertised and they sound pretty good and tempting, I just don't want to knock the fuel consumption down too much......

Funny you say that jasper my mate is a supplier and fitter of chips and he fitted one to his 3.0 td Navara and the fuel consumption is better not worse thats one of the reasons Im getting one as I have looked in to it in great detail as I will be £360 out of pocket but for more pulling power and better fuel econemy for £360 I will get my money back. The reason the fuel econemy is better is because the engine is not labouring and is running at lower revs to achive the normal speeds. Dont buy a cheap chip as they arnt as good get one that remaps the computer theyre more expensive but are better as they are garenteed and you can get them up graded if you want there are 5 settings and you getit on one and as I say you go back and they will twiddle with things to get the truck running right.

Well shell changing the suspension to something like Pro Comp shocks or something like that will make it better off road the first thing I did as soon as I bought my Trooper and my Ranger its worth the £40 for the front and £45 for the back make a world of difference.

Regards highlander.

get yourself a dirty old 91 shogun....iv never had a prob with mine sliding out lol

Good call old chap, i will be mainly changing my Fourtrack soon for another Shogun :thumbs:

A man about town such as myself, deserves a bit of comfort you know B)