Very Quiet Pellet Trap / Backstop

Hi,

I want to set up a paper target in my garden at 10m distance (its all my small garden will allow).

I intended to buy one of these:

Target_Funnel_Pellet_Catche.gif

The thing is that I want to fill it with something to make the target as quiet as possible. I only have a small garden in a residential area so I don't want the sound of pellets on metal echo-ing around the neighbourhood. As silent as possible is required.

Anyone have any ideas or better targets I can look at please?

Also, this target needs to be hung on a fence. So I take it that some sort of extra backstop is needed just in case I miss the target. I've heard that carpet is effective? I need something that would stop the pellet from penetrating and ricocheting. I'd need to mount it to the fence panel and then mount the target on top of that.

Thanks

• Like 1

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi,   I want to set up a paper target in my garden at 10m distance (its all my small garden will allow).   I intended to buy one of these:     The thing is that I want to fill it with somethi

Best and Safest is Bags of Buiders Sand - Bag Split Rebag them   Carpet after a while espeically around Centre of Target Area will break down after so many shots   A Safety Steel plate will make a

might struggle to hang that on his fence

Posted Images

1) Hope you don't miss that from 10m mate :)

2) I use heavey duty rubber matting or thick carpet tiles (you can get a pack of 10 or so from B&Q etc).

3) Someone once told me to use putty or plastacine that sort of thing. You won't get any noise from that.

Happy plinking.

1) Hope you don't miss that from 10m mate :)

2) I use heavey duty rubber matting or thick carpet tiles (you can get a pack of 10 or so from B&Q etc).

3) Someone once told me to use putty or plastacine that sort of thing. You won't get any noise from that.

Happy plinking.

I'm sure I won't miss it lol, but if I did the pellet would probably go straight through the fence (its only lap panel), which I can't risk obviously.

A roll of rubber mat would be a good idea as it won't go manky left out in the rain. Any idea where to get it?

Putty or plasticine is a good idea, how much would i need to put in that target, would I pack the whole thing full? Guess I'd need a fair bit to do that.

Best and Safest is Bags of Buiders Sand - Bag Split Rebag them

Carpet after a while espeically around Centre of Target Area will break down after so many shots

A Safety Steel plate will make a noise - always best to shoot towards own property -

As Stray pellet can cost you a fortune in Grief

If a spent pellet landing outside your propery is illegal

BOB/R

• Like 1

Best and Safest is Bags of Buiders Sand - Bag Split Rebag them

Carpet after a while espeically around Centre of Target Area will break down after so many shots

A Safety Steel plate will make a noise - always best to shoot towards own property -

As Stray pellet can cost you a fortune in Grief

If a spent pellet landing outside your propery is illegal

BOB/R

Thats why I wanted a pellet trap type, but as I'm mounting it on the fence I can't use sand behind, need something flat.

Unfortunately shooting back towards the house is out as there just isn't space.

Is there a chance that pellets bounce out of those pellet traps?

For a backstop I use Argos catalogues taped up with duct tape,very quiet,last a while and best of all free.

I used to use these when I started out - for all the reasons you gave ! Bind them with a bit of parcel tape to keep it together. Easy to attach paper targets onto them, too!

Plenty big enough from 10m..........

Good luck, buddy !!

Hay bail, £3 a bail, stick your target on it, and your off :D

I appreciate all the replies, but I need something that 1) retains pellets and 2) is attachable to the fence.

Space is severely limited in my garden, its just about 10m long and that's if I shoot from inside the house out of the patio door.

I don't want pellets all over the grass nor jumping off over the fence to next door.

Edited by dangerousdan

You shouldn't get pellets jumping out of the catcher, if they do, normaly they would follow the line of the funnel, so back into your garden. I guess if you nick an edge, then they could bounce off. I'd suggest mounting halfway down the fence, will help.

Go down the £1 shop and get a load of kids play dough or plastacine or make your own salt dough....you might even attract a woody or two haha.