Very Quiet Pellet Trap / Backstop

Jeez Dangerous dan. how many hundreds of tips are you going to need before you feel happy to shoot your minus 12 fpe rifle in your miniscule garden?? FFS! whats the point of having a b****Y air rifle if you are too scared to shoot the B*****Y thing??...... Why dont you get yourself a plastic ball shooting BB gun and ensure me and the other shooters on here can get a good nights ****** sleep while you torture yourself if you might kill someone about 500 yards away? God allmighty,Please respond in about 25 years after myself and other grownups have passed away?. :yes:

F**k off.

As I see it, you have two choices, join a range club, or get some permission, your garden is a little small for a modern air rifle, ten meters is air pistol territory :thumbs:

• Like 1

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi,   I want to set up a paper target in my garden at 10m distance (its all my small garden will allow).   I intended to buy one of these:     The thing is that I want to fill it with somethi

Best and Safest is Bags of Buiders Sand - Bag Split Rebag them   Carpet after a while espeically around Centre of Target Area will break down after so many shots   A Safety Steel plate will make a

might struggle to hang that on his fence

Posted Images

Well we aint all lucky enough to have loads of acres to shoot on are we. I'm just trying to make the best of what I have. I am a member of a club but can't go all the time.

There's been some great ideas in this thread but they are all different. Yes I have been bumping this thread up too much, and maybe I should have been much more specific in my questions so I'll do that now.

1. What is the minimum size needed to guarantee that a non zero'd scope will not miss the box at 10m?

2. What is the minimum depth needed to ensure the pellets don't go all the way through the carpet layers?

Thanks

Well we aint all lucky enough to have loads of acres to shoot on are we. I'm just trying to make the best of what I have. I am a member of a club but can't go all the time.

There's been some great ideas in this thread but they are all different. Yes I have been bumping this thread up too much, and maybe I should have been much more specific in my questions so I'll do that now.

1. What is the minimum size needed to guarantee that a non zero'd scope will not miss the box at 10m?

2. What is the minimum depth needed to ensure the pellets don't go all the way through the carpet layers?

Thanks

There is only one thing that would fit your needs, and that's plate steel, which is to noisy for what you need it to do, anything softer will deteriorate pellet on pellet, think you have to except the fact that your fence line is your down fall, and not the lads that are trying to help you out, good luck with your quest :thumbs:

Thanks

There is only one thing that would fit your needs, and that's plate steel, which is to noisy for what you need it to do, anything softer will deteriorate pellet on pellet, think you have to except the fact that your fence line is your down fall, and not the lads that are trying to help you out, good luck with your quest :thumbs:

I'm very grateful for the help I've received on here and the ideas have been great. I never said a word against anyone trying to help me out. Whilst the idea's have been great I'm still unsure about the required size to be safe. Any idea's on the answers to my 2 questions?

This guy on the other hand:

Jeez Dangerous dan. how many hundreds of tips are you going to need before you feel happy to shoot your minus 12 fpe rifle in your miniscule garden?? FFS! whats the point of having a b****Y air rifle if you are too scared to shoot the B*****Y thing??...... Why dont you get yourself a plastic ball shooting BB gun and ensure me and the other shooters on here can get a good nights ****** sleep while you torture yourself if you might kill someone about 500 yards away? God allmighty,Please respond in about 25 years after myself and other grownups have passed away?. :yes:

was just being an arse.

Edited by dangerousdan

Question 1, I cant answer because I don't know what distance your present scope is already zeroed at, so cant tell you the drop or the rise in point of impact? My minimum would be around 5ft square on an unknown setup, just to be sure nothing passes your back stop.

Question 2, Also has no answer, because it depends on how many times you hit the same spot on the carpet, every time you hit the same place the shot after will penetrate even further as the threads are cut by each pellet fired, until the pellets pass through the carpet altogether. :thumbs:

The scope is unzerod. I removed it from the rifle to change its position as it was too close to my eye. At 5ft square im going to have to hang carpet at the back then to start with as not making anything that big, which i can remove as i zero the scope. How far will a single pellet travel though assuming no existing pellet holes.

Well I've finally built it!

Its 500mm square. Here's some pictures.

20130929_142436_zpsba0c678b.jpg

20130929_142756_zps791f426d.jpg

20130929_142816_zpsd962d9c4.jpg

I need to swap the 5mm sheet of plastic for a sheet of steel once I can get hold of one.

Pellet embedded itself in layer 3 at the first shot.

Thanks everyone for sharing your ideas.

Stick a vid up of this in use :D

Stick a vid up of this in use :D

Is that a joke or you really want me to?? Lol.

I have some other carpet offcuts I can try to see if they are tougher. The thicker carpet tiles at the back might be tougher too I've yet to reach them.

I'd have ideally made it another 2 to 3 inches deeper, but just used wood I had available at the time. But I guess if its going through three layers in one shot then another couple of inches wouldn't make too much difference. I'll just have to move the targets around on it, plenty of room to do that.

• 1 year later...

What about this idea, which is what I have inside my shed, which I shoot at from 40 yards away in my house! I find that shot on shot pellets soon penetrate 4 carpet tiles, so I did the following.

I have 6 off 600x600 carpet tiles. I have printed targets on standard printer paper. You could fit 6 paper targets on the carpet face, but if instead of just sticking multiple targets to the carpet face, you arrange a system where the paper target Is held in a stationary holding frame and the carpet tiles are made to move horizontally 400 mm and vertically 300 mm, then wherever the carpet tile holder is within the 300 x400 movement It will still be fully behind the paper target. Two separate 12 volt motors make the tiles move left and then right an at the same time, up and then down The horizontal and vertical movement have limit switches that control geared motors from car seat mechanisms, and each motor is run at a slightly different voltage so they do not go at the same speed, (otherwise the pellets would just draw a 45 degree line)Then, to make things even slower, there is a sound operated switch, and a timer circuit so each time a pellet hits the tiles, each motor runs for a fraction of a second and stops. This way the carpet tiles move in a random fashion about 5 mm after each shot, so even if you do pellet on pellet shots in the same place for several tins the shots hit a new bit of carpet every time, and draw out wiggly lines of holes all over the carpet a bit like those Spirograph things that draw patterns!

My seat motors are designed to drive [BANNED TEXT] threaded bar, but you could have strong thread pulling and lifting by having it wrap around a thin (3mm) bar instead, a bit like a clock pendulum that swings left to right and also goes up and down.

How's that for mad!!! I bet Tron is going to take one look at this and tell me to "f*^k off as well!

Strewth! Motors moving carpet tiles around randomly?!? Some people have way too much time on their hands! :icon_eek:

Some offcuts of wood, a chopped-up strap hinge and some offcuts of steel, a few bits of bungee cord and a couple of hooks... stuff it with old sock, towels or jeans and hang it wherever you like. Silent, even when it stops a .22 round. :thumbs:

Target1.jpg

Edited by Coypu Hunter