The Hare , Your Opinion??

biased same as me .run dogs all my life ,thats why i said its sad to see them numbers taken,thats just one estate on one day.just think whats shot all over the uk,and surveys are being done about the decline of the hare.

if the hares were not a viable sustainable quarry on these estates then they would not be able to offer it at the end of every season, its the fact that these estates are managed that keeps the hares in such high number, without this management they just would not be there in such numbers

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We have a few acres of our own and moor grazing rights over another 600 acres. We keep sheep, pigs, chickens and a few horses. I also manage the land for a rough shoot and duck shooting. The area has

I have a farm near me that is stuffed with them, I have not shot a hare for years (just a personal choice, I have no problem with anyone who shoots them) to me its a quarry for a hawk or a dog,and a w

And it's my opinion that should be everywhere!

Posted Images

biased same as me .run dogs all my life ,thats why i said its sad to see them numbers taken,thats just one estate on one day.just think whats shot all over the uk,and surveys are being done about the decline of the hare.

if the hares were not a viable sustainable quarry on these estates then they would not be able to offer it at the end of every season, its the fact that these estates are managed that keeps the hares in such high number, without this management they just would not be there in such numbers

That pretty much sums everything up! But I think the problem is we need more places to manage... Rather than wiping out

I'm lucky enough to have a healthy population of hares on one permission, I'm allowed to take a couple when I want but haven't done for a couple of years now.

I prefer watching them,

To see "sporting" pictures of hares in that quantity frankly makes me bloody angry, that has nothing to do with sport or even control, that is just killing for the sake of it, just the kind of thing that the antis want for propaganda.

Each to their own, I don't have a problem with anyone taking a hare for the pot as I used to, particularly if you can be selective about the animal you take but for anyone who hasn't experienced it the first time you don't get a clean kill and it screams will probably be the last time you ever shoot one.

They do taste bloody good though!

That can be said exactly te same to a rabbit tho u unfortunately

That pretty much sums everything up! But I think the problem is we need more places to manage... Rather than wiping out

they need to be classified as a game species pure and simple and afforded the same rights as other game

they need to be classified as a game species pure and simple and afforded the same rights as other game

How would that make a difference though they already have restrictions on when they can be offered for sale why would estates take any number outside these dates when they have no economic value

• Like 1

How would that make a difference though they already have restrictions on when they can be offered for sale why would estates take any number outside these dates when they have no economic value

it would help to stop those not on estates being shot during there breeding season, as i have already said estates are managed and hares are in good numbers but in the rest of the countryside they are in decline

Well we had lads tearing up our fields last night in a Mitsubishi pagerio lamping hares with the dogs so what do you do, shoot the hares so there no more for them to course and ruin fields or let them carry on.

I think a lot of farmers see the hare as a problem in the way of if there hares there's going to be lads coursing which leads to other problems as everyone knows. No hares no coursing no problems.

coursing is done in the daytime with a strict ethical code, please do not fall into the mindset portrayed by the media, lads driving fields can do so with both dogs and guns. these are the people who cause problems for the genuine dog lads and shooters alike. Again this does happen but is also used as another excuse far too often.

Ethnical code? These guys had no ethnics. Just to tear up fields and smash gates. And don't start thinking typical shooter hate dogs as iv ferreted, Lamped and coursed before I started shooting. There maybe two honest in it for the sport lads to every ten lads with dogs who couldn't give a f**k.

What I was trying to say was if there's nothing there to lamp/course then there wouldn't be any lads there.

it would help to stop those not on estates being shot during there breeding season, as i have already said estates are managed and hares are in good numbers but in the rest of the countryside they are in decline

Yep mate I understand that but other than shooting the odd one for the pot I can't understand why anyone would shoot big numbers if they weren't going to make anything from it I or maybe I've just done this shite for too long and just see every thing I kill as pound notes

Well we had lads tearing up our fields last night in a Mitsubishi pagerio lamping hares with the dogs so what do you do, shoot the hares so there no more for them to course and ruin fields or let them carry on.

I think a lot of farmers see the hare as a problem in the way of if there hares there's going to be lads coursing which leads to other problems as everyone knows. No hares no coursing no problems.

coursing is done in the daytime with a strict ethical code, please do not fall into the mindset portrayed by the media, lads driving fields can do so with both dogs and guns. these are the people who cause problems for the genuine dog lads and shooters alike. Again this does happen but is also used as another excuse far too often.

Ethnical code? These guys had no ethnics. Just to tear up fields and smash gates. And don't start thinking typical shooter hate dogs as iv ferreted, Lamped and coursed before I started shooting. There maybe two honest in it for the sport lads to every ten lads with dogs who couldn't give a f**k.

What I was trying to say was if there's nothing there to lamp/course then there wouldn't be any lads there.

everybit of land is lamped/course even if you think its not, criminal damage is far different to hopping an hedge now and again, its no different to the lads driving the land with rimmy`s taking deer on the lamp.

Yep mate I understand that but other than shooting the odd one for the pot I can't understand why anyone would shoot big numbers if they weren't going to make anything from it I or maybe I've just done this shite for too long and just see every thing I kill as pound notes

you and me both mate :laugh::laugh: i refuse to shoot pigeons at the minute as its not worth the cost :laugh::laugh:

everybit of land is lamped/course even if you think its not, criminal damage is far different to hopping an hedge now and again, its no different to the lads driving the land with rimmy`s taking deer on the lamp.

So would you go lamping somewhere you knew there was no rabbits/hares/foxes?

so if we kill off the countryside we have solved the problem, are you german by any chance :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Dig a few ditches if your don't want motors on your land.

But to kill off all the wildlife!! Thats crap.....

Your worse than the "eight out of ten dog lads that couldn't give a f**k".

• Like 1

Dig a few ditches if your don't want motors on your land.

But to kill off all the wildlife!! Thats crap.....

Your worse than the "eight out of ten dog lads that couldn't give a f**k".

Spend thousands on ditches? Why do farmers want them shot? Because they are a problem if something is causing you a problem you deal with it. The sake of a few hares gone so the fields are okay, you go ask any farmer what he says and let me know