The Hare , Your Opinion??

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We have a few acres of our own and moor grazing rights over another 600 acres. We keep sheep, pigs, chickens and a few horses. I also manage the land for a rough shoot and duck shooting. The area has

I have a farm near me that is stuffed with them, I have not shot a hare for years (just a personal choice, I have no problem with anyone who shoots them) to me its a quarry for a hawk or a dog,and a w

And it's my opinion that should be everywhere!

Posted Images

Hare numbers are very low on my permission. I used to see hundreds during early spring through to winter but, nothing like that now. Maybe two to four per season. I don't shoot any I see anymore. I'm firmly with Paulus' and charlie caller's thoughts. I'm not a poor countryman. I love my landscape of fields and rivers I have to shoot over and I don't want to see the countryside laid barren of wildlife like Hares. (They are indeed fine looking animals :thumbs: ) And I don't want to shoot them. There just isn't anything to justify that for me with such poor numbers.. Same goes for rabbits. If there's only a scant few, I leave them be. It's wood pigeons and Mink that we have the real problems with here.

Interesting observation on Badger presences having a lessening effect on rabbit numbers. There are badgers on my permission and the rabbit numbers I've seen in recent years are in double to single figures. Never seen the huge flocks of rabbits feeding at dawn or evening as I used to years ago..

Pest controlling is one thing. If there is a significant problem with Hare numbers then fair enough, bag em! But a landscape empty of hares, and rabbits for that matter is not what I want to see, or why I shoot.

Edited to add:

:hmm: Thinking about it, I haven't seen a single Hare at all so far this year.

Edited by pianoman
  • Like 1

Theres none on a lot of my permissions but two permissions are over run with them and they couldn't be more different ones a keeper ed shoot the others just a arable farm in the middle of no where but if i want one i can take one

Hi lads I don't want anyone to get the idea that I think that all hares should be shot, the point I was trying to make and probably not very well is that if I am not asked by the land owner to shoot them I leave them be. I have quite a few hares on my permissions and they are not a problem. But if requested by the land owner to shoot them I will.

• Like 2

strange i shoot and run dogs but i feel the same way about taking hares with both, if they need culling, they need culling the same with rabbits, foxes, etc, i love to see them about and respect their right to inhabit the countryside. the noise hares make when not killed cleanly is just like a newborn baby crying !!. badgers are over running our countryside and doing severe damage to hedgehogs,bees and rabbit populations not to mention the cost to our farmers with the spread of bovine tb. the protection that is afforded to them is unbelievable, countryside management needs to be managed at countryside level and not influenced by people and politics that have little or no idea what's happening at grass root level or have a misguided agenda

Hahaha stealthy I'm surprised u paid attention to the programme... You can have your bucket of drool bak.... I get what ur saying but I guarantee there are people out there who will shoot it because they CAN, whether the place needs thining or not

So you think she's fit too then :laugh:

• Like 2

Hahaha stealthy I'm surprised u paid attention to the programme... You can have your bucket of drool bak.... I get what ur saying but I guarantee there are people out there who will shoot it because they CAN, whether the place needs thining or not

So you think she's fit too then :laugh:

Utterly!! Ellie Harrison, hello to her! I stopped paying attention to the BBC (Townie TV) years ago, now I I've started to watch again, just with the sound down!

• Like 1

I didnt think there was all that many by me till i started lamping and theres more than you think. Was out a couple of nights ago there was 14 in a quite a small clover field. Ive walked the same field a few times in the day and ive never seen more than 2 in there.