First Day Beating

So Saturday is the first day beating on a new shoot I got onto, now had a single day shooting last year but not done beating with the dog and speaking to the other people on shoot the game keeper is abit of a dragon. So deciding wether to take dog and keep her on lead till I know how the shoot works and what he wants or just not take her to the first one. Advice more than welcome

Edited by drakeshead gunner

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So I turned up Saturday morning bright eyed and bushy tailed, everyone was very welcoming and friendly. Kept dog on lead while we were on the yard and guns were signing in and stuff. Headed out onto t

I'd rather see a dog on a lead than f***ing the drive up.... LOL

I'd rather a guy with a stick, clapper or flag than a dog on the lead mate. No point.

Posted Images

So Saturday is the first day beating on a new shoot I got onto, now had a single day shooting last year but not done beating with the dog and speaking to the other people on shoot the game keeper is abit of a dragon. So deciding wether to take dog and keep her on lead till I know how the shoot works and what he wants or just not take her to the first one. Advice more than welcome

One thing in the way of vibes that I am getting is that you really don't know how your dog is going to react in a game situation,so I would, in your circumstances air on the side of caution if you really want to be asked back.

I know it will feel a bind to you,but feel your way into the shoot,better the lead is on, than spoiling paying guns day...

We are well into baring the fruits of our training that has been carried out in the close season...

I have had a busy day with enquiries about the rabbit pen...being proactive close season is far better than reactive in the season..

And yes I do tell them that......

Stick in...

Why is that lab? Even it being our first time?

Because it looks like you have an untrained dog in your hands. Someone pointed out the 'flushing point!...where you can release the dog...but it's a flushing point for a reason. The birds are to come out slow and steady and not go out in a bunch.... Then that's the drive truly ruined.

Why don't you ask if you can do a bit of dogging in for the keeper where you can see what your dog is going to do when it gets on the game scent. If you can't stop it then there's no point in it going. You'd be better off taking a stick than yanking on your dogs lead all day. Just my opinion mate of course.

• Like 1

No point taking it on the lead either. Nothing worse seeing a dog on the lead going through a drive.

I'd rather see a dog on a lead than f*****g the drive up.... LOL

I'd rather a guy with a stick, clapper or flag than a dog on the lead mate. No point.

• Like 2

I think iv sort of painted the picture of an untrained dog, that isn't the case. She comes pigeon shooting with me and after season on a farm I pest control for he lets me do a bit of rough shooting and she fine on game then, like I said think I'm just abit apprehensive myself and like born hunter said it could easily be passed onto dog. As said I'm sure they will appreciate someone who has the bottle to put dog on lead if needed than someone who is too stubborn to do anything about it. First day of season to. Thanks for all replys guys ill let ya know how it goes.

probably would have been better asking to take your dog on one of the pre season vermin shoots than on an actual drive, having seen people berated for their dog ruining the drive I think your probably better off earning the respect of the gamekeeper and beat master as a beater before chancing your arm with the dog. There will be days when the beating line is thin on the ground and dogs hard to come by and this maybe the time to offer the services of your dog, as mentioned earlier offering to do some dogging in might give you the opportunity to introduce your dog to the keeper and get some idea of how it reacts to the birds. I've seen people trying to beat with a dog on the lead and it's a complete waste of time, dog and owner both end the day frustrated.

No point taking it on the lead either. Nothing worse seeing a dog on the lead going through a drive.

Personally lab, I have no problem with it. I don't really care what it looks like and I'm yet to see a beater that can't hold a lead and a stick. I'd rather see people do what ever they are comfortable with. Never had a problem seeing a dog on a lead, had a few problems seeing dogs off leads though.

Personally lab, I have no problem with it. I don't really care what it looks like and I'm yet to see a beater that can't hold a lead and a stick. I'd rather see people do what ever they are comfortable with. Never had a problem seeing a dog on a lead, had a few problems seeing dogs off leads though.

Whats the point though.....dog on a lead is not doing anything. A beater without a dog is better than a beater with a dog on the lead....imo.. :D

• Like 1