Sloe Gin

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Paul.......... the yeast in all fruit needs suger to feed on to turn it into alcohol, the sloes, same as when cooked, produce a naural sweetner which takes away the tartness of the fruit. it is an enzime in the skins that does this, it is also the colour in the skins that gives it its nice pink colour. Its because of its abillitie to produce its own suger that its adviserble to buy un-sweetened gin for making sloe gin. otherwise it will be sickly sweet. :thumbs:

Paul.......... the yeast in all fruit needs suger to feed on to turn it into alcohol, the sloes, same as when cooked, produce a naural sweetner which takes away the tartness of the fruit. it is an enzime in the skins that does this, it is also the colour in the skins that gives it its nice pink colour. Its because of its abillitie to produce its own suger that its adviserble to buy un-sweetened gin for making sloe gin. otherwise it will be sickly sweet. :thumbs:

the natural yeast which i know is in all fruit and berries, will be inhibited once it is put in the gin as the alcohol content will prevent it working. the alcohol content will be to strong to allow the yeast in the fruit and berries to work. therefore it will become no stronger just mature over time.

regards

paul

can somebody post a picture of a sloe because whenever i ask anybody around me which bushes are sloe they all tell me different or they just want to keep the sloes for themselves! i don't know what to look for. please help

also, i have made rubarb vodka. just by putting the rubarb and sugar in the vodka and leaving it for about six monthes. well we did it at rubarb time and drunk it at christmas. it was lovely. and have tryed raspberry brandy. that was nice too!

Guest little_lloyd
I am denfinitly going to try this, is there any times that I should pick the sloes? they alrite now?

October/November time they say is best but around here they are starting to crumble, So i took a small batch of HUGE sloes to start the production line going....and then ill collect up more in late november.

Ohh and save it till next winter or even a few years later before drinking to get the best out of the drink :thumbs:

What a job pickin these sloes. Went out this aft and picked 1lb 1.25oz and cut my feckin hands to bits. Went out a bit later and got 1lb 1.75oz could not believe there was only half an ounce between the two lots. One thing that suprised me was that there was a snail about a yard up the blackthorn bush suckin f*ck out of a sloe. I bet that made its eyes water raw.

This feckin sloe gin wants to be worth it.