Sloe Gin

Guest little_lloyd

Im sure most of you are parcial to a drop of Sloe Gin i know i am :laugh: So im putting this recipie up on how to produce your own from picked sloes.

Pick your Sloes from the Blackthorns in October time

Buy a bottle of gin and drink half a litre :drink:

Prick the sloes one by one and drop into a half empty bottle so that they displace the remaining gin to near the top.

Add one wine goblet of sugar (approx 150g).

All you have to do now is turn or agitate the bottle daily for a week, then weekly for a month or two ... by which time it will be ready to drink (but it is really best kept until the next winter).

So get out there and gather your sloes and start producing barrels upon barrels of the stuff :D

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fair play :yes: ... i added far too much sugar on my last years batch and the stuff looked (and tasted) like cough mixture :sick: :thumbdown: I'd also reccomend that you prick eack sloe with a needle before putting it i an the bottle and use the cheepest stuff you can find. I use the 'Value' shite from Tesco and just stick 1 crushed juniper berry in the bottle along with the sloes. Still tastes like shite mind (practise makes perfect) but really warms you up.

Fair play :yes: ... i added far too much sugar on my last years batch and the stuff looked (and tasted) like cough mixture :sick: :thumbdown: I'd also reccomend that you prick eack sloe with a needle before putting it i an the bottle and use the cheepest stuff you can find. I use the 'Value' shite from Tesco and just stick 1 crushed juniper berry in the bottle along with the sloes. Still tastes like shite mind (practise makes perfect) but really warms you up.

:laugh: Oh total honesty LY :thumbs:

The real old recipes for sloe gin say to pick the fruit after the first frosts, this is because the chemicals in the berries controlling the flavour and acidity change. I have had the best results with bagging up the sloes in a freezer bag and freezing them for a few days, then defrost and put into your demi-john or bottle with the gin and sugar. The fruit is much softer and you don't have to spend hours pricking them either!

Like those above I have also used Lidl or similar gin with as good results as when I used Gordon's. The longer you can leave the fruit in the liquid the better too IMO, just filter the sediment out through muslin before you bottle it up. It always tastes better at least 12 months afterwards too.

I have noticed too that the fruit comes in 2 yearly cycles - bushes that were hanging with fruit one year will be barren the next and vice versa. Roll on October to pick the next batch.

Mmmmmmmmmmmm . . . :drink:

OTC

• 2 weeks later...
great subject this it will go on forever ' blackberry whiskey is great buy some crap whiskey emty half out fill with blackberrys turn every week drink it at cristmas

I tried doing cherry brandy in the same way but it didn't really 'work' - it still tasted like brandy with some cherry escence in it rather than a liquer as the sloe gin becomes. Perhaps I did something wrong but it was pretty unsuccessful really. :thumbdown:

OTC

sloe gin .......mmmmmmmm

4litres of UNSWEETENED gin

2lb of sloes, left in freezer for a week beforhand

1lb of caster suger, not granulated.

3 months in a demijon under air lock, give a good shake every day of the 3mths in the demijon then bottle for a month, then sit back and enjoy at your leasure

this sunday just gone me and the family picked a few lb of sloes as well as a few lb of damsons, starting it all this week end

Picked my sloe's already.. :drink: ...They're starting to shrivel up down here and we no longer get a frost 'til January in these parts.. :laugh: So long as they're soft when you pick 'em they will do the business when cut/pricked and dropped in the gin.

Try sloe chocolate!...When you decant the gin save the fruit, minus stones, and mix into melted chocolate and fold in some sloe gin..Bloody great!..Works with all soft fruit gin :drink: