Good job.What breed of pig was it? Im sure there was a nice smell when it was scalding :bad:

It was a Kune Kune x something mate....dunno for sure....be about 15 months old and at a guess 60kgs....got another 2 to go after this one....won't keep this kind again...too slow growing....want something ready to go at around half that age.... :thumbs:

15 month's is a long wait alright.Did you ever eat suckling pig,nicest thing i've eaten.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Killed one of our pigs yesterday....just over an hour from start to finish....   He's chillin now.....freezer filled in a few days....        

Yes mate....once he was bled out we gave him a quick wash down with a hose...cleaned him up a bit hosed the mud off his feet etc....I have a large cast iron bath for doing the pigs in...I have a log f

Him....   Yeah, he's hanging in a chiller for a few days and my mate will come and cut him up....I will make the sausages and cure some for bacon then I will smoke the cured stuff.... Quite a bit

Posted Images

Good job.What breed of pig was it? Im sure there was a nice smell when it was scalding :bad:

It was a Kune Kune x something mate....dunno for sure....be about 15 months old and at a guess 60kgs....got another 2 to go after this one....won't keep this kind again...too slow growing....want something ready to go at around half that age.... :thumbs:

15 month's is a long wait alright.Did you ever eat suckling pig,nicest thing i've eaten.

No, haven't tried suckling pig....got piglets due soon so I might just give it a go.... :thumbs:

• Like 1

Have you tried a large white or even a large white cross? ..............They make the weight fast and do great out doors.

Yeah....those are next going to have half a dozen in the woodland....what age would they be ready to slaughter at.... :thumbs:

I kill mine at 26 weeks and they average about 50kg killed out. A friend bought some weaners at the same time as me and his are ready now but i'll be interested to see how much fat is on them . I try to keep mine on a strict ration when it comes to feed but they can eat as much free food as they can find . there's a few acorns about this year in my wood :boogy: .

Have you tried a large white or even a large white cross? ..............They make the weight fast and do great out doors.

Yeah....those are next going to have half a dozen in the woodland....what age would they be ready to slaughter at.... :thumbs:

I kill mine at 26 weeks and they average about 50kg killed out. A friend bought some weaners at the same time as me and his are ready now but i'll be interested to see how much fat is on them . I try to keep mine on a strict ration when it comes to feed but they can eat as much free food as they can find . there's a few acorns about this year in my wood :boogy: .

That's the plan.... :thumbs:

I read somewhere last week on a forum ,that one fella rates the kune for a sweet meat,sausages etc,

He said Kune x berkshire was good.

Bet a few kunes get sold when people get bored of them as pets,could save some feed money,if you can buy them in later.

The meat is nice.....I had a litter of piglets earlier this year and sold a couple to a fella (from this site) and his daughter...they gave them names and the lass got attached to them, she didn't want to kill them so they sold them on..... :thumbs:

Ya just gotta keep on thinking 'dinnertime'...... :laugh::laugh::laugh: