• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Killed one of our pigs yesterday....just over an hour from start to finish....   He's chillin now.....freezer filled in a few days....        

Yes mate....once he was bled out we gave him a quick wash down with a hose...cleaned him up a bit hosed the mud off his feet etc....I have a large cast iron bath for doing the pigs in...I have a log f

Him....   Yeah, he's hanging in a chiller for a few days and my mate will come and cut him up....I will make the sausages and cure some for bacon then I will smoke the cured stuff.... Quite a bit

Posted Images

how did you de hair it? scalding?

Yes mate....once he was bled out we gave him a quick wash down with a hose...cleaned him up a bit hosed the mud off his feet etc....I have a large cast iron bath for doing the pigs in...I have a log fire underneath it...and it's heated to somewhere between 60-70 degrees...drop him in the water gently and leave him for around 10 mins then start scraping the hair off....black pig turns white eh....????? Just got to make sure the water doesn't get too hot or I suppose you could start cooking the pig.... :thumbs:

post-57287-0-92494100-1379245821.jpg

• Like 2

Yes mate....once he was bled out we gave him a quick wash down with a hose...cleaned him up a bit hosed the mud off his feet etc....I have a large cast iron bath for doing the pigs in...I have a log fire underneath it...and it's heated to somewhere between 60-70 degrees...drop him in the water gently and leave him for around 10 mins then start scraping the hair off....black pig turns white eh....????? Just got to make sure the water doesn't get too hot or I suppose you could start cooking the pig.... :thumbs:

attachicon.gifresized_imagejpeg (4).jpg

ahh cunning plan! how easy is it to get off? ive never done it. ive butchered plenty but never shaved one lol

attachicon.gifresized_imagejpeg (4).jpg

ahh cunning plan! how easy is it to get off? ive never done it. ive butchered plenty but never shaved one lol

Comes off very easily...you gotta have the temp between 60-70 degrees....and let it steep for a good 10 mins before you start scraping...the hair comes off easier the longer the pig is in the hot water...funny but sometimes easier to work against the hair on certain parts of the pig and with the hair on other parts....took around an hour to scrape this lad..... :thumbs:

post-57287-0-38915700-1379248909.jpg

Good job.What breed of pig was it? Im sure there was a nice smell when it was scalding :bad:

It was a Kune Kune x something mate....dunno for sure....be about 15 months old and at a guess 60kgs....got another 2 to go after this one....won't keep this kind again...too slow growing....want something ready to go at around half that age.... :thumbs:

Don't know why but it sounds wrong you referring to a dead pig as a 'him!' :laugh: :laugh:

Plenty of meat there mate! :good: Are you going to butcher it yourself and do sausages and all? :thumbs:

Him.... :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Yeah, he's hanging in a chiller for a few days and my mate will come and cut him up....I will make the sausages and cure some for bacon then I will smoke the cured stuff.... :thumbs: Quite a bit of meat there yeah....not too much fat either...about a half to 3/4 inch....I'll post pics later in the week.... :thumbs:

• Like 2

well done that man ............. I send mine off and they come back as sausages and pork chops , lazy I know :laugh::laugh: .

I always worry about starting to cook the pig if I did my own.

I think it would start cooking if the water got above 70 degrees for any length of time....got to keep checking the temperature and cooling it down if need be....and get it scraped as quickly as possible...... :thumbs:

• Like 1