Changes To French Gun Laws

Hi Coypu Hunter,

Thank you for posting this information which I found during a google search.

I think I understand the information you have provided but just want to make sure that I've not missed anything.

We are looking to move to Brittany from the UK in the next few months. I currently only hunt using a sub 12ft lb PCP, rabbits and wood pigeons mainly as I feed my dogs on a raw diet and it helps with the bills! I'm pleased with the change in French law as it means I can at least keep my air rifle and still use it for targets etc

The house we are buying belongs to the local farmer, who I know, and is surrounded by his land. In fact, most of the surrounding fields for miles in all directions are owned by him. To clarify, once we have moved into the house I can join a local shooting club and then buy a .22 rimfire, register it with the local Police and then use it for pest control on my own land and any land where I have written permission. Is this correct?

If the farmer then gives me permission to shoot on his land I can shoot pests, including rabbits providing they are within the permitted season for the area? I will not need a hunting licence for any of this?

Thanks in advance.

Correct on all counts except one: you don't have to register the .22 with the local police.

When you get your Federal licence from the shooting club, you can then buy a .22 (or shotgun or hunting rifle), and the gunshop will automatically send a copy of your registration document (déclaration) to the Préfecture, which covers the legal registration requirement. You just need to show the gunshop your licence, proof of ID and proof of residence (a utility bill for your French property will do).

So long as you have written permission to shoot over the landowner's property, you don't need a permis de chasse, a licence de tir will suffice.

Whereabouts in Brittany are you moving to?

• Like 1

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If anyone travels to or holidays in France regularly, this may be of interest.   The laws in France just changed, with effect from 6 September 2013. Prior to that, you could only buy an air rifle of

Illegal, mate. I use a .22 rimfire, and have done ever since I learned that pest control with air rifles is illegal in France.   Good excuse for getting a Rimmie, as I explained to Her Indoors!

15 ft/lb would be just sweet for hunting. Especially in .177. It's just about perfect.

• 3 weeks later...

Getting excited about the move now. Went for a final viewing at the house last week and took measurements etc. I opened a French bank account whilst there and went and saw the insurance man to get my prices for the all important health insurance. Hoping to make the move in the next few months and can't wait to get over there permanently.

It's actually only two hours from St Malo so not as far from CH as I first thought it was.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

I've recently moved to Lower Normandy and finding that the French have raised the airgun limit to 20 joule has encouraged me to think about shooting again, also may want to join a shooting club to get my licence. So a couple of questions.....

Does anyone know of any shooting clubs around the Mortain/Avranches area?

Does the 20 joule limit apply to pistols as well as rifles?

Atvb

Charles

• Like 1

I've recently moved to Lower Normandy and finding that the French have raised the airgun limit to 20 joule has encouraged me to think about shooting again, also may want to join a shooting club to get my licence. So a couple of questions.....

Atvb

Charles

Just thought of another question. Would a sub 20 joule semi automatic rifle with a magazine capacity of 12 pellets be allowed in France?

Atvb

Charles

There's a big club at Vire, another at Truttemer le Grand, near Vire, and another just south of St Malo. The Vire club has an air rifle/pistol range and lends guns, and they have a separate range for firearms.

Have a look here and click on "où pratiquer" then select your department: http://www.normandie-tir.net/

Any air rifle under 20 joules can be purchased and held without a licence. The limit for pistols has always been smaller, but I don't know what it is following the change in the law in 2013 -- your local gun shop should be able to tell you.

Edited by Coypu Hunter
  • Like 1

Atvb

Charles

Just thought of another question. Would a sub 20 joule semi automatic rifle with a magazine capacity of 12 pellets be allowed in France?

Atvb

Charles

There's a big club at Vire, another at Truttemer le Grand, near Vire, and another just south of St Malo. The Vire club has an air rifle/pistol range and lends guns, and they have a separate range for firearms.

Have a look here and click on "où pratiquer" then select your department: http://www.normandie-tir.net/

Any air rifle under 20 joules can be purchased and held without a licence. The limit for pistols has always been smaller, but I don't know what it is following the change in the law in 2013 -- your local gun shop should be able to tell you.

Thanks for the info; do you happen to know if any of the clubs have English speakers?

Atvb

Charles

Atvb

Charles

Atvb

Charles

Thanks for the info; do you happen to know if any of the clubs have English speakers?

Atvb

Charles

I believe the president of the Vire club speaks a little English. I know there are English members there, and probably at the other clubs as well.

Or you could just learn French... :yes:

• Like 1

Thanks CH, my schoolboy French (learnt 50 odd years ago) gets me by day to day, but I think I'm sadly lacking in vocabulary for the more technical side of shooting. Wouldn't want to get confused when they called 'Cesser le Feu!' or whatever term is used. :icon_redface:

Thanks CH, my schoolboy French (learnt 50 odd years ago) gets me by day to day, but I think I'm sadly lacking in vocabulary for the more technical side of shooting. Wouldn't want to get confused when they called 'Cesser le Feu!' or whatever term is used. :icon_redface:

Yeah, I find it difficult sometimes too, especially when the range master uses complex words like "STOP!"

:laugh:

• Like 1

Yeah, I find it difficult sometimes too, especially when the range master uses complex words like "STOP!"

:laugh:

Touché

• Like 1

How are you settling in CharlesC? We are moving over to Brittany in 3 weeks time and I'm looking forward to getting settled and joining a local club.

We've been in France since last July and loving every second. I'm not sure what type of shooting I want to do, don't think it will be airguns as my speciality was HFT and that became too much physically for me, and anyway there doesn't seem to be any of that locally. Joining a 'chasse' might be a problem with my limited French, so it looks like target shooting with .22lr rifle, something I've done in the past, or pistol speed shooting, quite fancy that.

Hope your move goes well and you enjoy your time here as much as we do.

• Like 2

How are you settling in CharlesC? We are moving over to Brittany in 3 weeks time and I'm looking forward to getting settled and joining a local club.

We've been in France since last July and loving every second. I'm not sure what type of shooting I want to do, don't think it will be airguns as my speciality was HFT and that became too much physically for me, and anyway there doesn't seem to be any of that locally. Joining a 'chasse' might be a problem with my limited French, so it looks like target shooting with .22lr rifle, something I've done in the past, or pistol speed shooting, quite fancy that.

The club at Vire has rotating targets for speed-shooting. Take advantage of the laws over here, and get yourself a .22 for pests, and a handgun for fun! ;)

• Like 1

The club at Vire has rotating targets for speed-shooting. Take advantage of the laws over here, and get yourself a .22 for pests, and a handgun for fun! ;)

Sounds like a plan. ☺

• Like 1