Changes To French Gun Laws

Wonder what the position is regards avian nuisibles - starlings and magpies for example?

I queried my local ONCFS on this. Their reply is below. Essentially, you need a Permis de Chasse to shoot the bird species listed, although Starlings are not on my local general licence.

La liste des espèces chassables classées nuisibles varie en fonction du département : elle est fixée par l’ Arrêté du 30 juin 2015 pris pour l’application de l’article R. 427-6 du code de l’environnement et fixant la liste, les périodes et les modalités de destruction des espèces d’animaux classées nuisibles (cf p.j).

Concernant l’Ille-et-Vilaine, les seules espèces classées nuisibles (dont les oiseaux) sont :

Département d’Ille-et-Vilaine (35)

Renard: ensemble du département.

Fouine: ensemble du département.

Corbeau freux: ensemble du département.

Corneille noire: ensemble du département.

Pie bavarde: ensemble du département

Pour rappel, la destruction à tir de ces espèces nécessite un permis de chasser, même en terrain privé.

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If anyone travels to or holidays in France regularly, this may be of interest.   The laws in France just changed, with effect from 6 September 2013. Prior to that, you could only buy an air rifle of

Illegal, mate. I use a .22 rimfire, and have done ever since I learned that pest control with air rifles is illegal in France.   Good excuse for getting a Rimmie, as I explained to Her Indoors!

15 ft/lb would be just sweet for hunting. Especially in .177. It's just about perfect.

Wonder what the position is regards avian nuisibles - starlings and magpies for example?

I queried my local ONCFS on this. Their reply is below. Essentially, you need a Permis de Chasse to shoot the bird species listed, although Starlings are not on my local general licence.

La liste des espèces chassables classées nuisibles varie en fonction du département : elle est fixée par l’ Arrêté du 30 juin 2015 pris pour l’application de l’article R. 427-6 du code de l’environnement et fixant la liste, les périodes et les modalités de destruction des espèces d’animaux classées nuisibles (cf p.j).

Concernant l’Ille-et-Vilaine, les seules espèces classées nuisibles (dont les oiseaux) sont :

Département d’Ille-et-Vilaine (35)

Renard: ensemble du département.

Fouine: ensemble du département.

Corbeau freux: ensemble du département.

Corneille noire: ensemble du département.

Pie bavarde: ensemble du département

Pour rappel, la destruction à tir de ces espèces nécessite un permis de chasser, même en terrain privé.

I received a similar reply from my ONCFS enquiry. The list of nuisibles varies from department to department. Starlings are on ours (16) but only near to orchards and grain stores. Pigeons de ville are also listed in the Charente. From my point of view not being a PdC holder it doesn't change anything. I will continue to 'deter' magpies using my air rifle once I get it back from my neighbour. There were three young ones and their mother raiding our strawberries this evening. :censored:

• Like 1

I received a similar reply from my ONCFS enquiry. The list of nuisibles varies from department to department. Starlings are on ours (16) but only near to orchards and grain stores. Pigeons de ville are also listed in the Charente. From my point of view not being a PdC holder it doesn't change anything. I will continue to 'deter' magpies using my air rifle once I get it back from my neighbour. There were three young ones and their mother raiding our strawberries this evening. :censored:

Ooh, you're such a bad boy. :laugh:

My HW97K, HW85 and now BSA Lightning XL Tactical are only ever used for target shooting, Your Honour, apart from firing "warning shots" at pest species... normally a pellet just behind the eye serves as sufficient "warning"... :yes:

Edited by Coypu Hunter

Ooh, you're such a bad boy. :laugh:

My HW97K, HW85 and now BSA Lightning XL Tactical are only ever used for target shooting, Your Honour, apart from firing "warning shots" at pest species... normally a pellet just behind the eye serves as sufficient "warning"... :yes:

Not a bad boy at all. Might be a bad shot though :whistling:;)

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I have a Smith & Wesson Model 19 revolver in .357 magnum, just in case... :thumbs:

Hi Coypu Hunter

Newbie here and apologies if this is hijacking this thread (a little bit - well... a lot)

I've been invited to France (from teh UK) to look over a private range that is part of a property that has just been purchased.

I am hoping it may be possible to open the range to allow guest/visitor shooting of Cat B firearms but I have a couple of questions that I hope you may be able to help with or steer me in the right direction as i've not had much luck traversing the french legislation...

1. Do you know if there is a limit to the number of firearms a shooting club can hold for the use of members or guests - I've seen a random post elsewhere that suggests 1 gun for every 20 members?
  2. Does the 1000 round purchase per year limit apply to clubs and use of club guns, or is this private owners only?

3. As part of the range visit, I'm contemplating bring over a couple of my Firearms (held on UK FAC and Cat B) so that we can demonstrate the range in use and provide an idea of what it is like - would I need anything official from the local Prefacture/Gendamarie or will it be OK as it's private property and a private range?

Many thanks for any help you are able to offer and apologies again if I've hijackd the thread.

I have a Smith & Wesson Model 19 revolver in .357 magnum, just in case... :thumbs:

Hi Coypu Hunter

Newbie here and apologies if this is hijacking this thread (a little bit - well... a lot)

I've been invited to France (from teh UK) to look over a private range that is part of a property that has just been purchased.

I am hoping it may be possible to open the range to allow guest/visitor shooting of Cat B firearms but I have a couple of questions that I hope you may be able to help with or steer me in the right direction as i've not had much luck traversing the french legislation...

1. Do you know if there is a limit to the number of firearms a shooting club can hold for the use of members or guests - I've seen a random post elsewhere that suggests 1 gun for every 20 members?
  2. Does the 1000 round purchase per year limit apply to clubs and use of club guns, or is this private owners only?

3. As part of the range visit, I'm contemplating bring over a couple of my Firearms (held on UK FAC and Cat B) so that we can demonstrate the range in use and provide an idea of what it is like - would I need anything official from the local Prefacture/Gendamarie or will it be OK as it's private property and a private range?

Many thanks for any help you are able to offer and apologies again if I've hijackd the thread.

Hi there. No idea for the club stuff -- you should contact the local branch of the Fédération Française de Tir, to which many clubs are affiliated. See here: http://www.fftir.org/fr/les_ligues

As for the firearms, you will need an EU Firearms Passport, and to fill out a form declaring the firearms and ammo you wish to transport. You should then declare the guns to customs at both ends. I'd recommend contacting the local Préfecture to tell them of your plans, even though there shouldn't be any formalities to fill out. A letter inviting you to the range from the organisers might be required though, depending on the Préfecture.

• Like 1

Hi Coypu Hunter

Thanks for the response - I'll contact the federation and the local Prefecture as suggested it's a bit like plaiting fog with oven mits on at the moment :-)

Text should have said "...on UK FAC and Cat B..." above but iPhone decided a "B" and a "close bracket" should really be a smiley

Regards

Colin

I got the gist, Colin. :thumbs:

FYI our club has about 60 members, and if memory serves they have two .22 pistols, a couple of .357 magnum revolvers, a 9mm pistol and a .40 pistol for members' use. As far as I'm aware, there's no 1000 round limit for the pistols or the members -- you just buy what you want from the club to shoot in their pistols. Only when you get a pistol détention of your own does this change, and then you can no longer buy ammo in the calibre of your pistol. You can however still use the club's guns and buy ammo for them in other calibres. Hope this helps.

• Like 1

Yesterday I brought two air rifles from the UK to France. The procedure was pretty much as described in posts above, but as they are non-FAC in both countries there seemed to be little concern. I booked online with Brittany Ferries, then phoned them to let them know I would be bringing the guns. They told me to send an email to the duty manager in Portsmouth giving rifle types, amount of ammo (zero in my case), and car make and model. They then completed the declaration, which they submitted to UK and French customs. I booked on Wednesday and travelled on Sunday, so they don't need a lot of notice.

On arrival in Portsmouth I went to the customer service desk so they can inform the duty manager I've arrived. He notified check-in, so then check-in is normal except you get a red sticker on the car and get put into a lane all by yourself. UK customs then call you in, ask you to take the guns and X-ray them (they don't touch them). They took photo's of the X-ray images for training, and called everyone in to look at them, so I presume they don't get a lot of guns through the machines. They also didn't want the guns carried out of wrappers or cases, as they don't want other people to see guns around, so keep the guns in a case if you have one. Interesting to see the internals of the scopes and trigger mechanisms. They would normally search the car for ammunition, but for non-FAC airguns and my honest face they didn't need to. We kept the guns locked in a gun safe in the boot of the car, which they also like as the guns aren't then visible.

We were loaded onto the ferry at the back (last vehicle on), and we kept the car keys ourselves. I spoke with the deck crew to confirm this, and they were adamant that I did not need to give them the keys. On arrival in Caen the French customs didn't do more than check the passports, as presumably the UK customs have let them know what we have on board, and that was that.

Edited by Hump101
  • 4 months later...

Hi guys

Newer member here living in France.

Masses of info on this topic re Myocastor,Ragondins/Coypu/Nutria. Basically all the same.

This animal as we know is classified as a pest specie. Also recent rulings by the French govt have stated that any means possiible can be taken to eradicate this non native specie. Carcass removal is important as this animal can carry a very dangerous disease to humans . Birds can spread this disease hence poisoning is highly if not totally restricted.

This is not now a Chasse animal and therfore falls outside of the Chasse permit (PDC) . Some Maries and Departementes offer a bounty , others offer free traps- ( communes will ask you to register numbers etc for their records). If in doubt always consult your own Marie. Obviously sensible approach is needed as best way to control this Pest, ie in Paris you wouldn't wander around shooting them. But countryside and land/rivers/lakes privately owned with wtitten permission of owner etc is best practice. Trapping and shooting seems to be the main methods. I use a silencer, night vision and a PCP in accordance with agreement of Landowner. Both in harmony are probably the best way. In respect of shooting pest species then one needs to take into account location. If say within 100 metres of occupied property if owner says it is ok then it is. But as always consideration of back stops/angles etc etc as we all know is needed as is advice of where and when the control is done to the owner prior to. I merely use a daily e mail advice .

As has already been stated airguns now have up to 20 joules with no declaration needed and over 20 joules membership of gun club and declaration. The certification rules recently changed here and the groupings now are A, B ,C and D. Eu law which I believe France has signed up to.

Two years agoI legally purchased here from a French armoury a PCP rated at below 10 joules . It came with this spring which I tested on my Chrony which gave 6ft lbs. No declaration needed. Having obtained Permit de Tir ( gun club ) . I fitted the other spring it came with which then produced 30 ft lbs (appx 40 joules).

Contacted the Armoury told them what I had done and requested they now inform my Sous Prefecture. This they immediately did and I requested a copy from the Armoury, This duly arrived a few days later. Placing my firearm , for such it now became ) in my gun cabinet I awaited a visit from the local Gendarme.

Almost 13 months later I received confirmation ftom the Sous Prefecture their written acknowledgement .

Never had a visit. Question what happens if I changed the spring back to below 20 joules., cancelled my Permit de Tir ?

A pal recently passed away who had many guns and one pistol all declared. A gendarme appeared a liitle later and took away the one pistol.

• 4 months later...

wow, my heads in a fuddle. I've a little question for you knowledgeable fellows. I've recently been in department 23, working /fishing/ shooting coypu. however upon a visit from the guard de peche things soon turned pearshaped. to cut a long story short they phoned for firearms department support who confiscated two of my guns a theoben eliminator and a cz .17hmr with a moderator, they're proposing prosecution for shooting an animal with a gas powered air rifle and hunting game with a "silenced" rifle. my host wasn't best pleased when told by the officers that coypu are classed as game. do any of you know for sure how I stand? any advice or help would be greatly appreciated. I thought I was doing everything by the book and now possibly face a costly return trip to face a court of law.

To be honest mate, in your situation, you're better off seeking advice locally from a professional.

We're just a bunch of blokes on a british hunting forum - we're not going to be able to give you sound advice on French hunting laws.

....... No offence meant to anyone on here.

From what I've seen in the past from guys hunting in your neck of the woods, Coypu can be hunted.

Good luck mate. I hope you get it sorted and get your kit back :thumbs:

• Like 2