" Eric "

milo

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Nice bird mate I've got a female I'm training took 10 days to eat off the fist I may start a little diary thing. Good luck mate but most of all take your time no rush to get out hunting ASAP

Milo I'm far from a expert is it worth changing the day old chick for a bit of liver or sum nice red meat just tiny bits my hh is a lot keener with it only suggesting fella atb

If it was me I would use the Martin Hollinshead method, exactly as you have described, KEEP THE BOND WITH HER, its not everyones cup of tea, but it has always` worked for me, a slight drop in weight a

Posted Images

somnetimes the progress does not come and we have to cut a little finer than we planned, been in same boat meself mate, he lookign well mind , one you go the responce to fist and lure , your away, you will cacth back up for sure, once he going there be no stopping youse :victory:

How's the gos going?

Well just over 2 weeks now,his manners are top notch,dosent not bate on glove at hardly anything,just the odd HGV that passes by ! ive got him on the creance for the past few days,but his response is poor infact its getting a bit silly,monday his weight was 1lb 7.5 i took him upto out training ground and he came about 10ft but response not good.

Tues after droping him again down to 1lb 6,8 he came about 10 times over 10ft on the creance response very good indeed.

Today i dropt him slightly again to 1lb 6,3 and his response was rubbish,yeh he did come well over 40ft on the creance but his eagerness just wasnt there he was just to busy looking around and didnt give a toss for me ?

So its now getting to the stage of what the hell is this hawk going to fly at ? at this rate hes going to be smaller than what my male harris hunted at 1lb 6 ?

Any ideas on what these hawks can fly or hunt at because most of the ones i read about are killing well over the 1lb 10 mk..im not concerned on the arguments over " my bird is bigger than you bird" but it would be nice to know .. :thumbs:

Never ever done creance work that long myself mate,but reading the myths and storys on these hawks i thought i better not take a chance,he will come pretty good at 10-15 ft tbh and normally the last flight/jump at the end of the session i give him a better reward,im just getting concerned on his weight ! ive read that most males go at around the 1lb 10mk ? :hmm: not clued up on these goss hawks enough but im willing to learn.

To some people size is everything lol... il be happy with a first time response at a decent distance once he does then its time to tag him up and get him off free... dont think it will be long now..just hope the weather holds out over the next few days :thumbs:

Your doing well bud, as said don't worry a jot about the weight, you wont care once he starts nailing quarry, doing 100mph between the trees after pheasants :thumbs:

I know Charlie Caller,ive got my trainers at the ready to keep up with him ha ha....im not in a major rush to get him free,hes been with me since sept 3rd and every day he seems to learn so has long has we progress with that im happy,but hopefully end of this week or beg of next week he be free and then the fitness training begins

Any of you guys who hunt goss hawks fly out of trees or follow on ? just wondering thats all,because im hoping to get mine maybe to come out of trees, i see it a waste if a goss is flown off the fist all the time how would they get super fit and learn each time its out,i cant see myself walking around fields while im out with a hawk on my fist all the time,im going to cast him up now and again i personally cant see the harm ! and i know some will say " he will self hunt" but if i supply enough game for him surely that should keep him occupied and keen to stay close to me and the dog... :hmm:

Arr so its all off the fist then mate ? does that constitute falconry..( dont want an argument) just want honest views thats all for me to get the right understanding on the gos hawking.

Falconry is just the puruit of quarry with birds of prey, how you do that is upto you, if you wanted a hawk that hunted from following in you should have stuck with the harris lol, off the fist flights are better in my opinion anyway, there more sporting and in terms of the actual flight more testing as they havent a hight advantage. If i had a gos the only time it would leave the fist when im hunting would be when slipping at quarry. Just my opinion though