" Eric "

milo

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Nice bird mate I've got a female I'm training took 10 days to eat off the fist I may start a little diary thing. Good luck mate but most of all take your time no rush to get out hunting ASAP

Milo I'm far from a expert is it worth changing the day old chick for a bit of liver or sum nice red meat just tiny bits my hh is a lot keener with it only suggesting fella atb

If it was me I would use the Martin Hollinshead method, exactly as you have described, KEEP THE BOND WITH HER, its not everyones cup of tea, but it has always` worked for me, a slight drop in weight a

Posted Images

Milo u bloody tried hard mate ! Get a Harris mate get ur self out and enjoy falconry no need to explain ur self fella . Atb lee

I tried and tried .. manned for hours thro traffic,dogs,people etc etc...took weight up droped weight ..kept weight steady for days then droped again,got him on creance got him hitting crow lure,rabbit lure..yes i made mistakes of " fence posts and 5 bar gates " got him free for the past 2 weeks.

But id didnt enjoy the worry or the " i wonder if he be good today attitude"..he wasnt consistant enough on the response yes its down to weight " it has to be hes manned enough "maybe my fault"..but i know one thing i did not give up without a fight ...i knew 2 maybe 3 weeks ago i was not going to enjoy it and the minute you stop enjoying something change it no matter what it is,well a week ago i drafted in a female harris ..and i shared my time bewteen the pair of them,this afternoon after a good long week with the harris shes free and her response is spot on,she will return out of trees " YES THE DREADED TREE"..on the whistle without me in sight and i must admitt i blood..y missed the thrill,has for erick the one chap thats been helping me out has agreed to take him from me,the guy has a lot more time than i do as hes retierd..i shall remember erick ... i trained him to the best of my ability and got him free not a killing machine with me but he may not be far off...

"

I may get a right slating on here but so be it...

,ive shared my experinecs with you all the ups & downs,but its all the truth and down to facts that i wrote down 3 times a day almost,none of us are perfect and we all make mistakes ive admitted openly on my mistakes but i wonder how many of us would admitt to our mistakes on here or any other forum or club,i dont want sympathy but if someone reads this all and they are thinking of getting a goss..have a real good think is the goss the HAWK FOR YOU..if this helps one person then that will be great.. :thumbs: .."It aint all a bed of roses" ;)

I admire your honesty mate & I bet it's a relief now?

It's a shame the experiance may of put you off flying a gos for life, I flew a male harris for 3 seasons & I loved every minute of it, I was very fond of that bird & was lucky enough to have a good friend to gift him to when I got a gos, but I got to say the sheer buzz of hunting with a well conditioned goshawk got me hooked like a drug! Hope you get the chance to feel it one day ATB

• Like 1

Just out of interest what happens if you get it out of molt and it displays the same attitude as your previous Harris?

Crow please dont wish that on me for god sake... funny enough i had this coversation earlier today while out flying !

I said if it happened right now it would BRAKE ME and id quit...i said this comming moult im going to change things slightly,im going to put in some feeding tubes and ledges at differant places around the flight,and change the feeding patterns like times of day etc etc..and im going to try and keep a bond with her this time around,im also going to introduce my nephew next week to my female so she gets used to him being around..just incase..

Any sujestions crow for next years moult any ideas notto make her turn into a fruit !

If it was me I would use the Martin Hollinshead method, exactly as you have described, KEEP THE BOND WITH HER, its not everyones cup of tea, but it has always` worked for me, a slight drop in weight and away you go, and lets face it, mr Hollinshead does know a thing or two about Harris Hawks.

• Like 2

Harris hawks kept in open aviaries during the moult with everything going on as usual is not a problem, as for weak feathers, the Harris has a head start on most mate in that department, takes all kinds of punishment!

I moved my male to a new home half way through the moult with no adverse effects, she'll be fine.....

Do they still come out of the moult with good strong feathers ! i just dont want fret marks or any weak ones... :hmm:

This year after using the methods described one of my hawks tail feathers came out on the piss, few weeks into flying and it dropped whether it was down to the way i moulted him im not sure, luckily its started growing back, just noticed it the other day

Do they still come out of the moult with good strong feathers ! i just dont want fret marks or any weak ones... :hmm:

Well I moulted my female out like this 3 times, she came out feather perfect everytime, and the moult was quite quick, but I partly put that down to giving vermex every month, initially I used clover honey as well, but cant honestly say if it made any difference, dont worry about the feathers, they will be spot on mate, bow her out, feed her on the lure a couple of times a week, let her have loads of baths and she will come out mint, cant recommend the vermex enough mate.

• Like 1

Well I moulted my female out like this 3 times, she came out feather perfect everytime, and the moult was quite quick, but I partly put that down to giving vermex every month, initially I used clover honey as well, but cant honestly say if it made any difference, dont worry about the feathers, they will be spot on mate, bow her out, feed her on the lure a couple of times a week, let her have loads of baths and she will come out mint, cant recommend the vermex enough mate.

I use vermex aswell mate, great stuff like rocket fuel for feathers lol, gave some to my mate with the male that was having a slow moult, within days of finishing the dosings he was dropping feathers