Starter Looking For Advice

Hi Folks

My first post here – looking for information and advice from the professional!

I’m pretty new to the ferreting business, but very keen to get it off ground and get out there on a regular basis. I’ve been reading over the great wealth of information on the forum (which you have kindly contributed to) and think I have a good idea of what is needed – however – would much appreciated anyone can give constructive feedback on what I have in mind.

Looking at getting the following equipment:

Hutch – Looking for a large one with a run, I work away from home most of the day so was wanting a bit of area for them to stretch their legs – looking at getting 3 Jill’s if possible

Q. Do they randomly crap in any old corner, or, if I were to put a litter tray in would they tend to use it?

Q. What’s the best bedding to use for them? I have access to shredded paper, will this be enough for a Scottish winter’s night or will they need hay?

ch-167at%20new_02.jpg

It was something like this I was looking into getting (or would it be overkill?)

Nets – Looking at getting about 40 purse nuts and one Long net (30m or so), the rabbits are mostly around sand dunes and are well established, so was thinking 1m nets?

Q. Is there any specific colour to avoid or does anything go?

The Ferrets – As mentioned looking at getting 3 Jill’s, reason thinking is that there won’t be any worries about mixing the boys and girls! Also I’ve read that Hobs are more likely to kill rabbits and require digging out once they’ve had a feed and crashed out for a sleep (not sure if this is correct or not??)

Q. Will my neighbours moan like troopers with the smell? Is it that bad or are people just over exaggerating things??

Q. While working the ferrets how long (on average) do you tend to run them through the burrows before they need a rest?

Obvious requirments - Ferret Finder – Deben MK3 – Ferret Box – Shovel etc

I live in the Western Isles so no problems with tree’s etc as the rabbits are mostly populated around sandy ground in dunes etc. The rabbit population is pretty huge up here, there are no foxes on the island etc and most predators are mink and raptors.

As mentioned at the top of the post – I would be most appreciated if any constructive information could be thrown at me or what I have posted, keeping in mind I’m pretty new to this!

Many Thanks from the Isle of Lewis

They tend to crap in the same corner (more corners if they have more space) but they don't like to go near their bed, food or toys etc. So strategically placing these things in the corners you don't want them to use should put them off..... Usually.

For nets colour doesn't really matter. It's easy to leave behind a camo net though. Bright colours are better if possible.

Ferrets do smell, a little, their reputation for it is much worse though. Your neighbours wont notice three jills, assuming you keep them cleaned out regularly.

Guest norseman

if your going for a hutch like that, make sure it has a floor, or put one in. because they will dig their way out.

jills can still kill in, digging is part of the sport too though (obviously handier if you can clear a burrow without a dig :thumbs:

atb

Cheers for comments - yup the hutch will be sat on top of concreate, hopefully they wont excape from that! I've attached a photo of one of the beaches I'm looking at working, roughly about 1 mile long and loaded with rabbits (and geese), the locals have no problems with people picking them off as they eat everything in sight.

20120811_104634.jpg

• Like 1