All The Gear...yet...no Idea!!!

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Welcome to the section.   You sound like you're a cracking shot buddy . 40 to 50 yard cluster groups pretty easy . Its nice to have someone with that skill join us . I for one are always up to l

Interesting post.   The next time I'm on the plains in SA I'll leave the muzzle break at home. I did wonder why the PHs were giving me funny looks.

Interesting !!

Indeed Darryl.

I think this whole piece is the work of Miles Johannesburg AKA Milegajo (and I'm not convinced the surname is genuine either.) and, in all honesty, it is revealing a mind that needs psychiatric help. There is a deep compulsion to post long-winded nonesense on this forum in aliases and guises and what he posts is utter nonesense to provoke a reaction. And he gets one...of ridicule and a laughing stock. And this is just his latest manifestation.

I actually know more than I let on about shooting in Africa. Who can, who can't and where you can. He is not remotely convincing of anyone who has shot and works as a Safari guide,,,,from Kent?

He has not mentioned the one and only African state where he can legitimately carry a hunting rifle. And a very rare few bother with an air rifle over there. A small game popgun is a .22 rimfire to African pest shooters on the farms! Nobody with access to such an impressive array of full-bore sporting rifles would use an air rifle to shoot a fox. Really? Come on...He has still not explained why there is an illegally shot Giraffe on his avatar, he cannot be carrying a rifle all day everyday in any African state and are we really to believe he would be involved in working in a lucrative African shooting safari outfit from a home in Kent!

That's without the rubbish about the importance shooting an air rifle on a moving track on the target with pin-point accuracy.

You will be reading all these responses Miles or Mike or whatever/whoever you are today. So, respectfully now;......

you need professional help..... :yes:

Best wishes.

Simon

I seem to have missed the fall out with Milegago. What happened?

Hi woodcote.

He was suddenly posting a lot of disruptive, smart-arse sarcasm in reply to lads' posts and threads. Despite being reasonably told by several mods to refrain, he carried on posting crap till enough was enough and he was banned. Quite right.

He's been popping back up under new guises but the rubbish, deliberate rubbish he posts gives him away.

I'll lay odds, as sure as carts to horses, this thread is one of his latest manifestations! The rubbish it contains and the links/references to Africa as some kind of hunter are a clear giveaway.

Simon

Pianoman, sign me up for shooting around objects course as well :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Sure ecp2012. Come to the forum meet in October and I'll show you how ! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Best regards gentlemen.

Simon

• Like 1

It seems I need to set a few things straight regarding my post and some of the replies posted by members on this forum! Firstly I am not nor am I affiliated to the trouble maker that has been banned from this forum. A Professional Hunter or PH is a professional guide that guides international clients for reward/payment within the safari industry. A few of the comments made by "Pianoman" I would like to respond to as follows:

The "illegal" giraffe in my avatar, I am the one on the right of the photo!, was hunted in the Kwa Zulu Natal (KZN) province in South Africa by my client on a private game reserve called Mtontwane which is found on the western boundary of the Weenen game reserve which is a National Park, feel free to look it up on Google earth! What is very apparent when reading "Pianoman's" comments on the hunting/safari industry in Africa is his the fact that he has no idea as to how the legal system works regarding the hunting of all species across Africa. I would like to outline how it in fact works so members of this forum actually get information that is correct!!! Firstly in South Africa each province has different laws governing the species found in each province, these are called the game ordinance's. A single species therefore can have varied amounts of state protection dependant on the region you are hunting in! To guide as a PH in any of these provinces a PH has to pass a written ordinance exam to ensure that he/she is familiar with how the species are listed in that province. In KZN a giraffe is listed as Specially Protected, this means that in addition to a general hunting license which allows you to hunt any non protected game the hunter is required to also have a SP permit allowing the hunting of a giraffe which is a permit/license sold separately, the same applies for any Protected Game, Specially Protected Game etc. I for example am licensed in all the provinces in SA and carry Lic. books issued to me, this allows me to sell a license to a hunter on the start of his safari should he wish to shoot any protected game. Some National Parks have hunting areas with game allocations/quotas which are stipulated by the Officer In Charge (OIC) of that reserve. Most hunting in SA is done on private land, in this case a PH or Oufitter buys the hunting rights to that area, known in the industry as a concession. On my concessions even the land owner requires my approval to shoot any game, I apply for a state permit outlining my quota according to game count figures and carrying capacity of the area. I am then entitled to market hunts to meet my quota and it is my responsibility to ensure that the game ordinance is adhered to. Any international client is required by law to be guided by a PH, a PH logs every hunt and the numbers of various species hunted, the PH signs off the permits for export etc. a copy is kept all parties concerned including the provincial authority. Some species require a CITES permit for the hunting and export of the trophy etc. CITES is the Convention of International Trade in Endangered Species which governs all movement of listed species, these include all primates, rhino, elephant etc etc etc. So if you shoot a baboon in some provinces you simply require a general lic. but should you want to take it out of Africa a CITES permit is then required. So for example Mr Pianoman that means that should you wish to hunt five giraffe on a single safari in KZN you may do so as long

as you have 5x SP permits issued in your name and the quota has five available!

Regarding other countries in Africa, Botswana has just stopped all trophy hunting on State land, they used to have hunting blocks which were sold as concessions to Outfitters but this year that has come to an end. You can still hunt on privately owned land. Zimbabwe and Mozambique are both still open with concessions run by various Outfitters. A PH in Zimbabwe requires a 2yr apprenticeship before he/she qualifies for a DGC or Dangerous Game Classification to guide clients on any dangerous game, SA requires a DGC for each province. Again I am licensed in all the above and prior to closing this included Botswana, should an individual wish to cull game using a rimfire rifle in SA a PCL or Professional Culling License is required following a practical exam, I also hold this license.

As a matter of interest for the members on this forum should a PH be required to kill an animal to prevent the potential death of a member of his/her hunting party which includes trackers, client and videographer the legal min. distance to stop a charge is 8ft, so no chance of a second shot if you get it wrong, shooting confidently free hand at a moving target is a prerequisite not a luxury. As with all industries unfortunately the hunting industry in Africa, particularly SA is tainted by individuals who do not practise "fair chase" or ethical hunting but rather focus on the money being generated! Things like hunting in small fenced areas and canned game damns all hunters worldwide and gives the anti's ammo against us all!!! As a member of PHASA, DSC, SCI and Rowland Ward I am aposed to such practises!

Like I have mentioned before I spent 16yrs with the National Parks Dept. and ended up as an OIC for my park in KZN after which I went into Professional Hunting, I spend on ave. 180-210 days per. season in the field guiding when hunting full time, at the moment I live in Kent and have my house in SA, I only hunt with old friends/clients for a few safaris each year, this year I went out on four 14 days hunts and a single 21 day safari, but will be returning full time next Dec. Those of you that require any further proof as to me being who I am feel free to look up and buy the DVD called "Ghosts of Darkness" marketed by Safari Vision, their crew filmed with us over a season and produced a commercial DVD on hunting bushpig, I shoot a few in this dvd using both rifle and my bow and I did the script and legal section on bowhunting for the ordinance section of the dvd, you will see this in the credits at the end of the dvd. I have also had the pleasure of dealing with Safari & Film Africa who have been contracted to film on safari with me for commercial use.

My opinion on the technique I mentioned in my first post was intended to help those who find free hand shooting difficult and to point out that practising filed shooting positions would result in more game in the bag. Naturally all forums have folks of varying ability and my intention was to point out a technique that is taught in National Parks. Mr "Pianoman" my advice to you sir is be very careful at making accusations on pictures containing illegally shot game when you are in fact either misinformed or need to sharpen up on your facts before putting them out there! I will gladly post a gallery of animals I have hunted or guided on, all with me in them, including the big five however the point of a forum I thought was to share info and not get into a dick measuring contest.

Kind Regards

Trevor Mckenzie

For the record my smallest concession is 1800ha and the largest 37 000ha that is in SA, in Zim the hunting blocks outside Hwange (formally known as Wankie) National Park are so big they are measured in sq. km! I have also just picked up an error in my previous post, the MAX distance to legally protect your hunting party is 8ft, any further and the authorities deem that the animal could have stopped or altered course, as the PH you will be charged the value of that animal and loose you lic. for that country should the State deem it a non life threatening charge!

Cheers

Trev