Dougie Male Harris Hawk

Just a quick update, took the bird lamping tonight just for a quick walk around and he was alot more switched on than the last time, flying two rabbits that just made it to cover before he had chance to get a foot on them, i think hes got the idea now :boogy: although i should really be on the lamp tommorow while he has still got tonights outing fresh in his mind ive been invited out ferreting so going to have a go at some sets with him, my mates also started his harris on the creance and hes coming a decent distance so will get some pics of him, he is a seriously quick bird so will be a decent freezer filler this season thats for sure

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ive decided to start a diary on my male harris hawks new season, ive had him going out of the moult again for little under a week but i wanted to start the diary on a kill,   So with the bird weigh

Sorry for not updating the thread in a while, ive been poorly lately with an infection in the bowels, so i havent been out with the hawk in weeks due to the crippling stomach pains, Anyway im ok now

You've done right by the hawk, get another one and carry on. Early next season get it up here for a few days on the dales, we should be able to get it entered easily enough on a few dumb young bunnie

Great news mate you'll down this way you got permission with me no end!! Tried a new apprentice from the IFF but can't be dealing with a white boy talking Jamaican!

Lol nice offer mate but i will be f****d if im driving down to yours everyday lol

id watch your back aswell he might not take kindly to be rejected, might pop a cap in your ass lol stoned-smiley.gif

machine-gun.gif

My arse big enought! you like artic down this way plenty of sport!!!!

Lol, i like it anywhere aslong as there sport to be had, carnt wait for this cover to die off properly then i can get some proper hawking in, not long now though the nettles are just starting to curl over, i think everybodies ready for it even the ferrets are starting to get restless

Good day out today, although no kills, ferreting just didnt happen as all the rabbits just ran the hedge

Then a cock pheasant stepped out near the riverbank and the bird got some right speed up but missed so swung up into the nearest tree and then 5 magpies came down to mob him, the bird ignored them but instead put in another dive and 3 partridge got up, we thought the bird had something but when we got there a hen pheasant just got up so the bird mustve just got a feetfull of feathers lol. My mate who came out with me is starting to fly his bird tommorow so will get some vids of creance flights hopefully, hes going to join as a member on here as soon as admin sort his problem out so the diary will probably be updated between me and him as the birds will be hunting in a cast

Keep the diary going mate, I'm looking forward to getting mine going again as soon as I can get her ready. The cover is seriously high around here this year and with mixi looking particularly rife it's going to be interesting to see how we get on. Plenty of hares about though if I ever want to get mine onto them in the future.

I will do my best mate as soon as the cover dies down i will be getting a few kills updated,

had a bit of bad luck yesterday though as when i was out lamping i recalled the bird and noticed a tail feather on the piss and as the bird roused it fell to the floor, its his second feather from his last but it was fully grown and no blood on it at all, chances of it growing back look pretty slim but it certainly didnt appear to hinder him at all, you carnt really notice its gone, funny enough as it was growing out it was slightly twisted compared to the others.

Anybody else had any experience with birds that has pulled any feathers?

Me and my bird went for our first cast flying session with my mate and his male harris, hit my local wood not really expecting anything just going for a fly around to see how the birds get on for the first time, we saw some exceptional flying with mine actually soaring over the top of the wood for the first time ever, arse clinching moment but fantastic to watch, my mates bird flew well and followed on nicely, a few times his bird flew right upto mine as if he was going to grab him but just landed at the side of him on the branch, almost shit myself a few times lol

Even got a picture of one instance

2013-09-27175420_zps392ec3bd.jpg

Just seconds after this pic was taken my bird (on the right) left the branch like a rocket and smacked a pigeon that was sat on a nest unusual for this time of year, looked like a pillow fight had happened ha, unfortunately it got away and the bird tried to tail chase it lol shouted him back and he came from a big distance straight away and landed in the tree above us, all in all a fantstic day with perfect weather conditions, things are looking up, especially now im not going to be a loner for the season lol

Edited by youcanthide...BANG

well where do I start, I've just got back from THE best day hawking of my career. went out with my mate again and his male harris to do abit of cast flying, first set produced the first bolt of the day giving us a fantastic flight with my bird taking the rabbit just before it got to another set, kill number:2

the same set produced another bolt taken this time by my mates male

second set produced another bolt taken again by my mates hawk after a cracking flight

then we missed 2 but the last set of the day produced another rabbit again to my bird

kill number:3

it truly was a fantastic day with perfect hawking and idyllic weather

end of the day shot:

2013-09-28190806_zpsca73cf00.jpg

Thanks for looking, hope you enjoyed it as much as I did

Edited by youcanthide...BANG