Dougie Male Harris Hawk

Out of interest when flying a cast by how much does the success rate go up ??

I'm thinking that by doubling up a hawk( dogs are the same) it helps put more stuff in the bag.With the amount of missed flights I've had this season just on squirrel alone I think a cast would make it much harder for them to escape.

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ive decided to start a diary on my male harris hawks new season, ive had him going out of the moult again for little under a week but i wanted to start the diary on a kill,   So with the bird weigh

Sorry for not updating the thread in a while, ive been poorly lately with an infection in the bowels, so i havent been out with the hawk in weeks due to the crippling stomach pains, Anyway im ok now

You've done right by the hawk, get another one and carry on. Early next season get it up here for a few days on the dales, we should be able to get it entered easily enough on a few dumb young bunnie

I lost my first male like that after only 4 months, allowed myself to be persuaded to try it........it's a lot more satisfying to see one on one IMO & it's a lot of work to try flying a cast on your own........the thing is mate these birds get better & better as the seasons roll on, they can get so efficient......

My mate has my old male, in his 7 season now & he's super efficient at what he does, in his 3rd season with me he took 101 head! That was just mainly wkend flying & holidays........be patient mate

• Like 1

Don't get me wrong I didn't ask about cast flying because I want to kill more stuff or anything like that I was just interested. The only reason I can see for flying a cast is to catch more quarry but I wondered if there were other reasons to do so.

Mine did fly with another hawk a few weeks back and was attacked, this weekend was the first time since then that she flew properly. I think that although there was no damage that I could see she must have been sore and bruised for some time. She still has a wound over her left eye that I've been treating. There was also some fraying done to wing and several tail feathers plus a few chunks out of some of them.

It's not something I'll risk again.........but I can see why some do it.

Fair enough mate, I misinterpreted your question lol.........mine was pinned in a ditch full of shitty water by a female.....she didn't do any damage to him.....but he ingested stagnant water.....that killed him 2 days later

That's a shame mate. I'm sure there's loads of lads that are flying two or more hawks together without incident year after year. Mine was maybe just unlucky, i don't think the other hawk was trying to do her real harm but is a lot bigger than my little female.

That's a shame mate. I'm sure there's loads of lads that are flying two or more hawks together without incident year after year. Mine was maybe just unlucky, i don't think the other hawk was trying to do her real harm but is a lot bigger than my little female.

Yes lots, like you say bad luck......so I'm a bit biased now :-)

Out of interest when flying a cast by how much does the success rate go up ??

I'm thinking that by doubling up a hawk( dogs are the same) it helps put more stuff in the bag.With the amount of missed flights I've had this season just on squirrel alone I think a cast would make it much harder for them to escape.

For me its purely just the company of flying the hawks with mates, other than that he does fine on his own, cast flying probably puts more game in the bag, problem is sometimes it stops yours making the kill as the other one is getting it for one reason or another, even though yours could have got it without the other, but thats just a part of cast flying that has to happen

It's all we can do, i expected more kills as well. For me its about getting onto the right land which should start happening soon. Round the doors just isn't cutting it, yes I'm getting the odd kill but it hasn't been regular enough and besides I don't like hunting in thick cover and hedgerows. Except for squirrels in woods I'm only ever happy if I'm out walking on moor or fells. So I need to make more of an effort to gain access onto those areas.

• Like 1

GG was a boss just walked in moment pal :laugh: I think maybe theres a case for cast flying say on open land maybe two onto hare dare I say it :angel: barring that I cannot see the point unless you keep multiple hawks and want to save time on flying em single. The clash between our hawks was one going to the floor in a manner that suggested to the other that there was quarry to be had, you right she bruised her some grip they have :bad:, the lack of blood on the day suggested what we thought initially at the time, week before they both went on that lure together no crabbing and one watched the other eat a kill form height, so I see no animosity between them, suppose you could liken to to running dogs doubled and them clashing, again likening it to hunting with dogs, dog is pack animal hunter, same as Harris, we adapt em to suit us, so maybe taking away pack scenario is a safer way when they hunt with us? however as with dogs single handed always the best test on any quarry :thumbs:

Multiple kills don't really bother me personally, I'm more than happy with one good kill, unless it comes far to early into the hunt, if that's the case trade off and hunt on :yes: nothing like sitting watching the bird fill herself up on warm meat and then the walk home afterwards :victory: roll on tomorrow as am finished work for a couple of days and we looking for partridge on open land, :yes:

Edited by arcticgun