Head Space?

Hi all how do I check my head space without a gauge? I ask because when up the club one of the guys said the problem iv been getting with the head separation is because of the head space and not the brass! can anyone shed any light on this please.

He said if I can get 2 bits of selotape on the back of the shell and still close the bolt then my head space is wrong and that's why the shell are separating! I got 2 on and I felt a bit of resistance and a lot of resistance with 3 on the back of the case.

Rick

Hi I realise the tape thing is not a good way to check it but it was the guy at the range who said my head space was wrong and to try it! the rifle has only fired 550 rounds since new I am the first owner its a howa 1500 in 308 the shells im reloading are lapua from a friend who shoots to 1000 yards so his loads were worked up to 2900fps so quiet hot and the brass he reloaded 12 to 14 times and iv reloaded them twice, iv checked some ppu ammo I fired and they show no sign of splitting!

Rick

Hi all iv just done a test which was recommended by another forum and its measuring a primed unfired case them firing the case and measuring it again, here are the results

Hi iv just measured then fired 3 primed cases and measured again and here are the results.
Oh my primers are magnum primers.
unfired cases
1 1.996"
2 1.996"
3 1.994"
fired cases
1 2.002"
2 1.999"
3 1.999"
The difference is .006" .003" .005" so by these calculations does that mean my head space is wrong? and if so is my rifle same to use?
Thanks

Rick