Draw Cording A Longnet ?

foxtails

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Simple answer IMO no I honestly think that nylon 4z is one of the best catchers there is.   But it is just my opinion others will tell you different.   TC

start talking about mesh size and youv got me completly, i havent a clue about that,

Don't go there regarding Mesh Sizes ..

Posted Images

ok mate, when you said when my nets arrive from kent , do you know whom iv bought these off ? FT

Havn't a clue FT just know they are coming from Sittingborne in Kent. ;)

Looking at the nylon net I think the best thing to do with that is stretch it out on a field then if you and a mate take a selvedge each and stand about 5 ft apart and pull the net back towards you and drop the net so that it lays stretched out width ways between you, it will then be ready thread the selvedges I would not add the running line just yet as you do not know the length of it.

TC

Edited by tiercel

you must of seen them too :laugh: ,im hoping the hemp net is actually all hemp and he's just tied it up with a different colour mateiral ,,,,,that hemp net is what made me buy them to be honest, so im really hoping its going to be an half decent net. hopefully ill receive them tommorrow with a bit of luck, ill put some better pics up when they arrive, FT

Mind and dry the hemp net before putting it away, I like hemp.

went for a mooch the other day with a few hemp nets in my pocket, they must be 35 years old, and in great condition, I don't find them any trouble, just hang on a hook after use to dry.

flops nicely, and they don't pick up too much debris.

its a pity hemp has gone out of fashion, mind you don't know if i would fancy it in a stop net or longer, heavy when wet.

Mind and dry the hemp net before putting it away, I like hemp.

went for a mooch the other day with a few hemp nets in my pocket, they must be 35 years old, and in great condition, I don't find them any trouble, just hang on a hook after use to dry.

flops nicely, and they don't pick up too much debris.

its a pity hemp has gone out of fashion, mind you don't know if i would fancy it in a stop net or longer, heavy when wet.

if im honest iv never used hemp, always used nylon or spun poly, alot of people especailly the older generation use hemp, 35 year old nets :thumbs: you must of looked after those, as for hemp being heavy when wet, ill only take the nylon with me if its forcast rain, just cant wait to sort them out and get out and put them to use in the fields

iv spoke to the guy i bought them off again today and he reassured me the net thats ment to be hemp is 100% all hemp, so im gessing that other matieral around it , is just there to keep it tied up ect

Here is the photo of the nets with a bit more detail.

hemplongnet2_zps2388699f.jpg

TC

Edited by tiercel

the long nets finally turned up this morning, and the full hemp long net is 3/4 hemp and 1/4 spun poly nicely made but i would of prefered all one material, its about 30 yards long, but needs baggage, the nylon net is 40 yards long with bag in it, it will make a 25 yrd longnet but i can see iv got my work cut out draw cording these.

How its a piece of piss you know the lenght of the nets , half that plus two yards for the pins , lay the net out in and out and a big cobblers needle and feed the cord into each end so you have a continuous loop , and you will be out with them tonight

How its a piece of piss you know the lenght of the nets , half that plus two yards for the pins , lay the net out in and out and a big cobblers needle and feed the cord into each end so you have a continuous loop , and you will be out with them tonight

Why do you and smithie use such short bridles? Mine are at least a yard long.

TC

TC

i did think of asking why your end pins are so far from the net but i did not want to open a can of worms..lol

simply for me i can get in closer to the wall and there is a lot of walls and dont feel i need longer so i just make what suits that all

TC

i did think of asking why your end pins are so far from the net but i did not want to open a can of worms..lol

simply for me i can get in closer to the wall and there is a lot of walls and dont feel i need longer so i just make what suits that all

The reason I have mine at a yard long is the angle from the endpin to the top of the first peg. The shorter the distance is the steeper the angle, the steeper the angle the less tension you can put on the head line as it can cause the end pin to move as you apply tension, even when the pin is put in at an angle away from the net.

Using them like that would suit if your netting up against a wall. I have a similar problem with fences when using stop nets. But instead of using shorter bridles I lay the bridles along the line of the fence then place my first peg tight against the fence and place a loop or twine over the top of the peg around the wire of the fence and back over the the top of the peg.

TC