Draw Cording A Longnet ?

foxtails

iv just bought 2 longnets 1 is a nylon atleast 100 yrs the other is hemp atleast 25 yrds long but they have no draw cord in them can someone explain how i do this ? lets say its 100 yards long how long does the draw cord need to be bottom and top ? and is there an easy way of theading it ? also how is that done is it just weaving in and out ? i have 4 end pins so just need to know the details as described above, thanks in advance :thumbs: FTpost-66140-0-00798300-1377556208.jpg

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Simple answer IMO no I honestly think that nylon 4z is one of the best catchers there is.   But it is just my opinion others will tell you different.   TC

start talking about mesh size and youv got me completly, i havent a clue about that,

Don't go there regarding Mesh Sizes ..

Posted Images

you half the length of the net so 100yds would make a 50 yd net. pass the running line through each mesh in the top then through the end pin and through the bottom again going through the other end pin and splice together making 1 big loop, do not thread this down the edge of the long nets

length or the running line is the length of working net x2 + 2 yds so a 50 yd net needs 102 yds in length.. this is how my nets are..

First off you need to know exactly how long the nets are. Easist way of doing that is to count the meshes. Once you know the actual stretched length then half of that length will be the length of the finished net. So if the 100yard net has 900 meshes and is 4" mesh it will make a 50 yard or 2 x 25 yard nets.

So you will need actual length of the net plus 4 yards if you intend to use 1 yard bridles.

TC

Agouti, But don't buy polypropolyne buy hollow nylon braid. Polyproplyne plucks like hell and makes dents in the braid that stops the meshes running along the lines.

TC

yep thats what iv always used (nylon braid) the longnets iv had in the past that hasnt had draw cord they did have a little piece of string already through the meshes so all i had to do was tie the cord on to the string and pull the draw cord through (if you know what i mean) but these two nets ill have to start from scratch, somthing iv never done before! do i weave it over and in so its over the mesh , under the mesh over and under and so on ?

If you buy sheet netting.... the top and bottom bottom meshes usually have a bit of cord through them....

If so, just tie your length of cord onto that.... and pull through.......

Otherwise..... lay the net out...tie your cord onto a large nail.... and get 'threading' all the way through :thumbs:

If you buy sheet netting.... the top and bottom bottom meshes usually have a bit of cord through them....

Otherwise..... lay the net out...tie your cord onto a large nail.... and get 'threading' all the way through :thumbs:

yep these 2 longnets arnt shop bought someone has made them one long nylon and one hemp, so thats the order of the day then roll the net out and get weaving, it'll take hours lol

yep these 2 longnets arnt shop bought someone has made them one long nylon and one hemp, so thats the order of the day then roll the net out and get weaving, it'll take hours lol

ill put a pic up of them now

Lay the net out.... stick a few poles in just to keep the net up (makes it easier to weave).... and get threading....

Thats how i done it..... when i fcuked it up the first time....

FT When your net arrives from Kent, if you weigh it accuratly you can have a rough estimate on how many yards are in the nylon net. 4z weighs 1.15 kilos for a 100 yards. @15.5 meshes deep The other net looks to be made up of two different twines one of which is the butchers twine that agouti was selling a few years back. The other twine? It's hard to tell from the photo as it may not give a true representation of colour but it looks grey in the photo.

TC

Edited by tiercel