Fitness And Conditioning (Skycat) Running Dog Maintenance

• 2 months later...

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

CONDITIONING AND EXERCISE There is to my mind nothing more beautiful to behold than a superbly fit running dog, an animal up on its toes, bursting with life and ready to run like the wind, taking all

Absolutely fantastic stuff...really enjoyed it.

I rate this book aswell lots of good info in it, interesting aswell that n "even tho its better to have the actual book to benefit from all the info" that the author always tries to help folk out on h

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Cracking read, thanks for posting. I jog/run mine from a quad for hillwork but have been told that too much trotting can build the 'wrong' muscles which in turn can be detrimental to sharp turning ability. In ur opinion is there a lot of truth to this? Having world in horse racing I do note we walk and canter bar the first initial few weeks trotting when they first come in from the summer break to begin fittening

It's not that the 'wrong' muscles build up with too much bike work, but rather that they don't get the stretch and suppleness in the joints just by trotting. It's like anything: for example, if you spent all day walking, you wouldn't build up the muscles for running. Try sprinting 100 yards a few times without doing any running training. Guaranteed very sore muscles and tight tendons the next day. Same for dogs: they do need a good base fitness and trotting does that, but to become running fit they need to gallop, and the twisting and turning they do after prey strains joints, tendons and muscles even more than just running in a straight line. That's way ball play, or running about after a lure on a pole and line can help build up that type of fitness.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I throw a ball for mine in a wood with steep banks,30/40 yds in all bumpy conditions,really hard graft,teaches accurate picking up,10 runs,then couple minute rest,50 runs in total 5 days a week,has to be seen to be believed,she is cross between,Bruce Lee and a golf gti :-)

Edited by Bill196510