Fitness And Conditioning (Skycat) Running Dog Maintenance

• 4 months later...

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

CONDITIONING AND EXERCISE There is to my mind nothing more beautiful to behold than a superbly fit running dog, an animal up on its toes, bursting with life and ready to run like the wind, taking all

Absolutely fantastic stuff...really enjoyed it.

I rate this book aswell lots of good info in it, interesting aswell that n "even tho its better to have the actual book to benefit from all the info" that the author always tries to help folk out on h

Posted Images

hmm although quite a bit I agree with , theres a hell of a lot that is wrong with the article and isnt scientifically factual and theres quite a bit missing about different weather conditions as to how you prepare for conditioning on any said day , many people are sheep and will follow the above advice verbatum and that could be damaging , plus really instead of straight mileage running dog owners should be concentrating on recovery training instead of old fashioned ideas above , after all what we want is a dog with its tongue back in asap , and ready to run again, no lactic acid because the recovery training has provided a more efficient anaerobic respiration allowing better oxygenation of the muscles and an easy path way for the glucose to be converted into energy you will have this from your dog. The better anaerobic respiration the less lactate ( lactic acid) and recovery training is the best way to obtain this, not a steady trot , thus increasing your time out in the field , especially for lamping , and it also increases the working life of your dog

• Like 2

A conditioned fit for purpose dog should be ready for running conditions on any given day barring extremes of weather, excessive temperatures frozen ground etc. Recovery times surely would be dependent on condition, fitness, breed and age of the dog concerned.. Feeding,conditioning/exercising regime correctly implemented should prepare any dog for a days or nights sport also not over facing the animal the old maxim "always leave one in the tank" should ensure the dogs tongue does not hit the floor.

• Like 1

That's the thing and agree desert bred breed types and there xes insure quicker recovery rates in some types ,some stay cooler better weather conditions at times have a say in recovery times seen em show no signs recover quickly then go over with out little or no sign of this the opposite side seen em blowing and panting but in the right conditions just keep on going swings and roundabouts breeds and conditions .mostly fitness and galloping will bring the eventual right fitness rotting his just that one needs ta up the tempo on the bike and bursts of speed and then back ta trott I do 2 mile twice a day full tilt when not running or waiting for the moon phase 2mile on this bike full tilt gets any type blowing hard,but there's nought better than running there game .getting ones animal truly fit takes time and lots a days nights out squally most animals peak for a short period and then the seasons done .atb bunnys.

• Like 1

That's the thing and agree desert bred breed types and there xes insure quicker recovery rates in some types ,some stay cooler better weather conditions at times have a say in recovery times seen em show no signs recover quickly then go over with out little or no sign of this the opposite side seen em blowing and panting but in the right conditions just keep on going swings and roundabouts breeds and conditions .mostly fitness and galloping will bring the eventual right fitness rotting his just that one needs ta up the tempo on the bike and bursts of speed and then back ta trott I do 2 mile twice a day full tilt when not running or waiting for the moon phase 2mile on this bike full tilt gets any type blowing hard,but there's nought better than running there game .getting ones animal truly fit takes time and lots a days nights out squally most animals peak for a short period and then the seasons done .atb bunnys.

two mile isnt enough though imo but fast slow fast slow yes is a great way of recovery training , I am lucky enough to be able to use quad, trial bike truck , I tend to do the first mile at 20mph then drop to ten for 0.3 of a mile then back upto 20mph for 0.2 then keep repeating until I have done 5 miles, then I get out of and walk ten -15 mins with them just so they wind down, on days of work this is obviously missed out and they always have 1 day a week off, also electrolytes / drink aren't given until the tongue is away, then food given afterwards

Just quick blasts I give when moon phase up other than that when prepping for season I put major miles in 2on one off building up ten miles each session recovery his bred in some animals fitness just his that fitness the average weekly out put fa my little lamper and these are my miles around seventy a week dogs got ta be double that may be more when free running that gets her ready ta rumble lol she gets hot through summer so swimming part of process cooling when eva needed some on the odd days I'll knock up 24. 25 miles on the bike Letting ones animal cool off prior exercise I usually give a good half hour then when settled feed of course feeding automatically warms a animals system back up , the very best quick recovering animals are sal whippet and some bull types and a mixture of others ,don't always mean they can go all night in rough conditions it his what it his and I agree fitness and grub and plenty and some electrolytes if one thinks they needed different types different approach being able ta set the regime for the individual his for the handler to asses atbbunnys.

• Like 2
  • 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...