I am in the process of applying for both my FAC and SGC. I know about shotgun cartridges and rifle ammo and how they need to be stored, but for rifle ammo, would a mechanical safe from Argos be suitable provided it was wall mounted? Its 2mm walls and 4 mm door with internal hinges and locks.

Link - http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10151&catalogId=10001&langId=110&productId=555860

Cheers for replies, BB

Edited by Bunny Boiler

Just checking they dont have to be official gun cabinets. Any wall mounted secure container would do. And just by interest, would a locked cash box, which in turn is locked within your cabinet, would that be sufficient? The guidelines do only specify a separate secure container, and if you dont trust your gun cabinet to store some ammo, you shouldnt have your guns in there really...

Cheers, BB

I am in the process of applying for both my FAC and SGC. I know about shotgun cartridges and rifle ammo and how they need to be stored, but for rifle ammo, would a mechanical safe from Argos be suitable provided it was wall mounted? Its 2mm walls and 4 mm door with internal hinges and locks.

Link - http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10151&catalogId=10001&langId=110&productId=555860

Cheers for replies, BB

Pretty Much identical to what I had before I got a new Gun Cabinet c/w Ammo Section built in.

No problem at all.

For the few extra £'s that it costs why not just get a rifle cabinet with a built in ammo safe, much less faffing about this way and you will know for sure that it meets the latest british standards

Space and Cost are issues for me. I'm only applying for my first .22 as a rabbit lamping rifle. When I'm more settled and dont have excessive car insurance etc and move house, I would look at getting a larger cabinet and applying for larger calibres, for foxing etc.

Hi

A small home safe is adequate either digital or mechanical locking. I have both and they satisfied the feo for many years.they contain rim fire and cf ammo.mine was from b&q about £30 if I remember it was a few year ago

Atb

Same as that