: Nathan Cleverly V Sergey Kovalev

and Kovalev is much more than just a banger, he's got excellent footwork, accuracy, lovely variety on the jab and seems comfortable at any range.

Looks like the kind of genuine KO puncher who doesn't need perfect leverage or to land really clean shots to hurt you, he just punched through Clev's guard for most of that fight and still had him all over from those cuffing punches, scary power.

He also had 200 + amateur fights with only a handful of losses, so he's got the pedigree too, but yeah he's a soft touch Bellew :rolleyes:

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Kovalev would absolutely destroy bellew,hes domestic class at best with a world class mouth

kovalev stoppage rds 5-8

its on at 10pm http://www.viplivesports.eu/boxing/169857/1/nathan-cleverly-vs-sergey-kovalev-wbo-world-light-heavyweight-championship-:-boxnation-live-stream-online.html

cleverley had a full break in between rounds to clear his head, he came out, and kovalev picked up where he left off. as for 'taking a break' he can have 8 seconds...on one knee or not, you dont get any longer.

kovalev is extremely powerful, but can move as well. As for the bellew fight, i cant see it happening. i dont think it would be a step up for kovalev, i also think he would ruin bellew. I really like bellew as well, he can hype a fight, put on a show and then shake hands and be extremely respectful afterwards...but this man would end him.

kovalev is a power house but been watching some of his other fights on you tube no one really has tested him and with bellew i think he would thats his fighting style but as you say hes only got a punches chance

hes definitely got a punchers chance, but going back to the oville mckenzie fight, his chin is suspect. and cleverley had never had his chin tested really, had a supposed 'iron chin' and it came undone against this guy. He's a monster. i agree that nobody has tested him though, but they dont get given the chance looking at him. he put it all over clev last night and im not sure if clev looked more nervouse because kovalev looked so calm or if he was nervous/tentative as he looked.

I really like bellew though, id definitely watch the fight, but not sure if its a step in the forward direction for kovalev. would it benefit him? or maybe bellew would need to work up to take the title shot at him now he has the belt off clev.

Agreed, Bellew needs to keep well away from Kovalev, Tony's been down a couple of times in his career and not faced anyone nearly as heavy handed as the Russian.

I used to like Bellew but his talking in the media and on twitter has show him up to be a tit imo, just about this fight he was calling Kovalev a 'hype job' who Clev would beat easily, then after the fight still says Kovalev is overrated, 'basic' and makes 'loads of mistakes', is there for the taking etc - well he just absolute took apart a world champion in 4 rounds, who you went life and death with over 12 Tony, if he's so average what does that make you?

Felt a bit sorry for Clev, he's been matched with limited guys who can't punch for his title reign, then Warren chooses this monster as a VOLUNTARY defence, he was even the mandatory challenger ffs!

I think Warren knew more about Kovalev then we think, and kind of threw Nathan to the wolves there, notice there was no re-match clause in the contract, which is unheard of in a world title fight these days, makes you think Frank knew that Clev would get wasted, and he wanted no part of an immediate re-match with that beast.

This way Clev can 'rebuild', packing out shows in Cardiff fighting bums, or fighting big Enzo in another big domestic clash that would make Warren loads of cash, Franky boy is not daft...

i still like bellew though, i like the way he hypes a fight. its play acting, weve seen through history people in the lime light who arent really that good, but who hype fights. People still call ali 'the greatest' was he a good boxer..? Yes, was he the greatest? No. not by a long chalk. He is respectful after fights, even with clev after nearly having a dust up with him every time they were in the same room, to massive respect afterwards. Shaking hands etc. I think hes a genuine bloke who likes to play the bad guy.

Kovalev is smooth, watch him shadow box see he moves like a lighter man, right hand, jab, hooks, hes pivoting about with quick feet. He moves like hes a lot lighter than he is. Not just a banger at all. Like you say, he was throwing 5 or 6 shots at clevs guard, and breaking through with them all, and he wasnt even hitting him with venom for most of them. The guy is scary good.

As for bellew saying hes a hype job, i liken it to tyson fury spouting about david haye. If he beats this guy, bellew has exploded from the domestic scene (for me bellew will only ever be domestic...possibly european at a push) right up there to world class. If he doesnt beat him, he can hype a fight to get a big payday...? win win. Same with fury, if he beats david haye, former champion, hes hop skip and a jumped his way from the level he is at, up to world title shot.

Frank warren is a crook. Clev was thrown to the wolves imo. Purely to line franks pocket, he should have left him years ago and gone to eddie hearn in my opinion.

Never seen clev box like that he looked like a school boy.

Junior boxer written all over it. Head down poor guard. Didnt use his feet. Head down to a very good hitter. Like I said I be playing this in all the boxing gyms on prime example on how not to box at any level let alone pro
  • Like 1