Is It The Net Or The Setting?

Tiercel

the chap with the beard is who showed me the score with nets and i will be forever great full for him putting up with me asking a million and one questions, but it goes to show how rabbits can bounce off a net set by some one who knows their oats

I watched that video a while ago, watching it again It just confirms what I have been saying for years. During the night you slope the pegs away from the oncoming rabbits, for the reason that when the rabbits hit the wall of the net they should be standing on it. With that video it may have been the lamps that caused the rabbits to bolt into the net, and the fact that they were lighting up the net did not help.

It was maybe the lamps or the speed with which they banted the field caused those rabbits to hit the net at a fair rate of knots. At around 2 minutes 30 there is a rabbit that has tried the net once and bounced off but this time he just tries to push his way through the net. Notice how quick it gets tangled and had the net been sloping away from the rabbit it would have tangled even quicker as it would have been standing on a lot more net.

What that video shows IMHO is how not to bant a field, it's not a race take your time and you will have more rabbits in the bag.

TC

• Like 3

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Nowt wrong with a zig zag setting as this will put more rabbits in the bag,, same as having a tail at the start and end net.. Its pleasing to see just how many rabbits are accounted for in the tail en

I watched that video a while ago, watching it again It just confirms what I have been saying for years. During the night you slope the pegs away from the oncoming rabbits, for the reason that when th

i have to agree with this   i dont ferret with long nets, i just night time net... and if i know were there are a lot of runs on a particular drop i SOMETIMES pull extre bagging along as the baggin

well if were going to talk of the video i think it shows how not to hank a net. its not picked up very well and there are leaves in it, really you should be looking to remove the crap as your picking it up

as been said before.. the net only runs out as well as its picked up

• Like 1

well if were going to talk of the video i think it shows how not to hank a net. its not picked up very well and there are leaves in it, really you should be looking to remove the crap as your picking it up

I noticed that as well one thing I do is take my time picking the net up there is no rush and it is good to have it tidy for the next trip so you are basically working on the next trip as you stow it away

• Like 2

I noticed that as well one thing I do is take my time picking the net up there is no rush and it is good to have it tidy for the next trip so you are basically working on the next trip as you stow it away

correct it is exactly that..

so far in the video it has been pointed out that there is back pegging, pegs are not on an angle to help with the holding of the bunnies, the field is walked too fast and with lamps and then the net is picked up very poorly...

what does that tell us? tells me the videos shit imo

• Like 1

:laugh: you just couldn't help yourself could you smithie :laugh: ...hey,we all do it differently :laugh:

i know, i know, im a gob shite :laugh: but its still my opinion all the same.. and the picking up of the nets was my thing the rest i believe was pulled by others i just saw the bigger picture..

but Mr Wilkes now i have your attention please tell me your opinion on it.. would you do a drop like in the video?

I really think its a decent vid , it shows you what goes on in the dark but as tc says the lamps really don't help. I personally don't net like that but hey the old boy still catches and that's what its all about :thumbs: ...there wasn't that diplomatic .. :D

• Like 1

I really think its a decent vid , it shows you what goes on in the dark but as tc says the lamps really don't help. I personally don't net like that but hey the old boy still catches and that's what its all about :thumbs: ...there wasn't that diplomatic .. :D

it ok you can still hold your head high.. very diplomatic :cray::cray: i read what you say but i know what you think :laugh::laugh::laugh:

but to be honest you are correct they did catch.. it shows a rabbit hitting the net and i suppose thats what it was ment for not an instructional dvd.

it could have been a better video imo and i stand by my opinion... its shite

The problem they faced making that video, is they had to rely on lamps to see the rabbits hit the net. As far as I could see there were at least two lamps going, one was even behind the net shining the lamp on the oncoming rabbits. No wonder the rabbits were spooked.

In one respect I agree with Smithie the video is poo. In respect of it does not give the viewer a true refection on how rabbits hit the net at night. On the other hand I agree with Mr Wilkes, in that the lamps and the positioning of the lamps and camera did not do the makers any favours. Hows that for diplomacy?

As too regards of the rest of Smithies criticisms, don't be so pedantic man :D I still will shoot a net by back pegging if I have to. If he had been picking the net up in the dark would he have seen the the rubbish in the net? I doubt I would have, I often come home with rubbish in the net.

Just my thoughts.

TC

Edited by tiercel
  • Like 1

Hows that for diplomacy?

TC

your diplomacy skills are second to none sir. im sure you got splinters in ya bump from sitting on that fence :laugh::laugh:

to be fare they went out and made a video of night time netting for others to view so you got to take your hat off, but im fooked if im googling padantic..

if its more than 4/5 letters in it there is a good chance i dont know what it means and a bigger chance i cant spell it..

slid to the left a long way off topic. i believe it was whats more important the net or the setting

Hows that for diplomacy?

TC

slid to the left a long way off topic. i believe it was whats more important the net or the setting

Smithie, it's called thread developement, you start off with a title and see where it takes you?

At the moment we are at.

thread_direction.gif

But that is just a mere by-pass I am sure we will get back on the road before we run out of road.

TC

Edited by tiercel

do yous think that with a better net (bill has said the net could have been better in his opinion) that a few more of them rabbits would have stayed put in the net rather than bounce off to escape??

It really is quite hard to judge from the video but the twine did look stiff and it did not seem to cling to the rabbits bodies. personally I prefer a limp twine without any spring in it. There were a few rabbit that when the entered the net I thought 'they are caught' only for them to pull out of the net.

I put that down to one of the lamps and camera man being on the wrong side of the net. But it could be that it was the net not clinging to the bodies of the rabbits. It is rare to see that many rabbits bounce off in a day time situation yet alone in the night. But without being able to handle the net I can only guess.

TC

Edited by tiercel