Is It The Net Or The Setting?

Tiercel

I have been thinking about the folklore surrounding longnetting, the perceived necessity of at least a net rigged by halves or 100% bag as some like to call it. That in turn made me think about how I set my nets for different situations. Most of the time when ferreting during the day it is a compromise as you try to maximise the setting of any net.

Lets take a scenario where you have a warren in the middle of a field, a simple job, just surround the warren with a net enter the ferrets and Bobs your uncle. But, is it just that simple? There are very few times during the winter that there is no wind blowing and any wind heavier than a slight breeze will affect the nets. It does not matter the direction of the wind as whatever the direction 50% of that net the belly of the net will be billowing in the wrong direction. IE; towards the oncoming rabbits. However, with a little thought the effect of the net billowing the wrong way can be neutralized to a certan extent just by ajusting the angles that the pegs are set at.

I have often thought why would people offer for sale nets that are rigged 2/3rds or 50% bag. I came to the same conclusion as the rest of you! They are trying to get the maximum profit out of a sheet of net. Lately though I have begun to question if that is the truth? What if, the way you set a net with only 50% bag could make it a net that will catch rabbits?

In my experience you set the net for the way you expect a rabbit to enter the net. For example you set a day time ferreting net different to a night time net. As the rabbits should be entering the net at different speeds. We all know that long netting is more suck it and see than an exact science, as there are so many variables that can affect the outcome.

I really should not post after a few drinks as it just turns out ramblings. More Sunday.

TC

Edited by tiercel

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Nowt wrong with a zig zag setting as this will put more rabbits in the bag,, same as having a tail at the start and end net.. Its pleasing to see just how many rabbits are accounted for in the tail en

I watched that video a while ago, watching it again It just confirms what I have been saying for years. During the night you slope the pegs away from the oncoming rabbits, for the reason that when th

i have to agree with this   i dont ferret with long nets, i just night time net... and if i know were there are a lot of runs on a particular drop i SOMETIMES pull extre bagging along as the baggin

I have been thinking about the folklore surrounding longnetting, the perceived necessity of at least a net rigged by halves or 100% bag as some like to call it. That in turn made me think about how I set my nets for different situations. Most of the time when ferreting during the day it is a compromise as you try to maximise the setting of any net.

Lets take a scenario where you have a warren in the middle of a field, a simple job, just surround the warren with a net enter the ferrets and Bobs your uncle. But, is it just that simple? There are very few times during the winter that there is no wind blowing and any wind heavier than a slight breeze will affect the nets. It does not matter the direction of the wind as whatever the direction 50% of that net the belly of the net will be billowing in the wrong direction. IE; towards the oncoming rabbits. However, with a little thought the effect of the net billowing the wrong way can be neutralized to a certan extent just by ajusting the angles that the pegs are set at.

I have often thought why would people offer for sale nets that are rigged 2/3rds or 50% bag. I came to the same conclusion as the rest of you! They are trying to get the maximum profit out of a sheet of net. Lately though I have begun to question if that is the truth? What if, the way you set a net with only 50% bag could make it a net that will catch rabbits?

In my experience you set the net for the way you expect a rabbit to enter the net. For example you set a day time ferreting net different to a night time net. As the rabbits should be entering the net at different speeds. We all know that long netting is more suck it and see than an exact science, as there are so many variables that can affect the outcome.

I really should not post after a few drinks as it just turns out ramblings. More Sunday.

TC

i get what you say tc. most of my netting is done on banks that are steep so can get away with little amounts of bag i do in fact have a couple of tight nets that i use just for this purpose as the rabbits are running down a bank and hitting a net that is laid back any how they are almost suspended in a hammock with out being too badly tangled in the "kill/bagging"

i think a lot of nets are set too high and a net with only 50% bag will catch better if set with headlines like banjo strings and vertical bag as well as horizontal bag BUT in all honesty how many of us catch enugh rabbits in a single set to warrent all that extra bag "to catch more rabbits"? ok what you do catch will ( read should not) bounce off. but would they bounce off if they were the only rabbits in that section of net with %50 bag or dose that extra netting realy help? who knows its always too bloody dark to see! and we cant use lamps as the keeper might see us :whistling:

Just to be awkward....a combination of both for me ..ie..a good net and the ability to use it.

i have to agree with this

i dont ferret with long nets, i just night time net... and if i know were there are a lot of runs on a particular drop i SOMETIMES pull extre bagging along as the bagging might not be enough if a lot of rabbits are expected.

this is when it helps to know the land and have an idea of rabbit numbers

• Like 2

I must bow to you guys knowledge as i only run my nets out along the top of old railways trying to catch rabbits going over the top when im ferreting , i far rather prefer to purse net up and get the hole hoppers etc , but nothings ever easy in this game and i can see the net's getting more use

• Like 1

TC

i get what you say tc. most of my netting is done on banks that are steep so can get away with little amounts of bag i do in fact have a couple of tight nets that i use just for this purpose as the rabbits are running down a bank and hitting a net that is laid back any how they are almost suspended in a hammock with out being too badly tangled in the "kill/bagging"

i think a lot of nets are set too high and a net with only 50% bag will catch better if set with headlines like banjo strings and vertical bag as well as horizontal bag BUT in all honesty how many of us catch enugh rabbits in a single set to warrent all that extra bag "to catch more rabbits"? ok what you do catch will ( read should not) bounce off. but would they bounce off if they were the only rabbits in that section of net with %50 bag or dose that extra netting realy help? who knows its always too bloody dark to see! and we cant use lamps as the keeper might see us :whistling:

What ! your not a keeper !...... :laugh: ..ive often said "id love to set up a camcorder to actually see what happens in the dark"......Mmm :hmm: now that is a thought :D .

the chap with the beard is who showed me the score with nets and i will be forever great full for him putting up with me asking a million and one questions, but it goes to show how rabbits can bounce off a net set by some one who knows their oats

Bob back Pegs the last time I spoke to Him that was his preferred method , that Net was just made for the D.V.D. in 5ply Hemp(flax bouncy !! bouncy ) as Bob was onto Me to see if I could source proper 3ply Genuine Hemp for Him for the up and coming D.V.D.

F@k carrying that Load at night ! :laugh: He would have caught more and revealed better footage of Rabbits being meshed in a good old fashioned 4z net but as far as I'm aware Simon wanted an old smelly Flax Net for the Film :hmm: ...

Regards..

i was thinking that on the dvd he might of back pegged so he could be sure the net run out straight, one peg in line with the next so it looked tidy for the dvd as i would have wanted my drop to look neat and tidy but i know i would have pegged as i went and had a zig zag net :laugh: just to be sure not to disturb the rabbits and have something to run in to it..