• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm not whining, just pointing out that WSM serves as a bridge between rimfire and centrefire in those areas where the forces insist you have rimfire 1st.   As for me, I'm not too worried because if

My reloading kit cost me about 140 quid and I can load some very accurate ammo indeed, it really is not the black art some make out it is, and it is well worth it.

Alsone, sorry, I think I worded my previous post poorly. There is no such thing as "too small a round" for a particular animal per-se. I've seen big red stags shot and cleanly killed with a .22LR (in

Posted Images

Yes I agree, not dressed up at all, the message I took away from that is quite simply, buy a .17 hornet, its (in his words) a "tackdriver" and its doing 3600 fps and as the man says reload it twice and you have already saved a small fortune,in fact I might see if cz have made a 527 in this calibre yet :hmm:

Yes I agree, not dressed up at all, the message I took away from that is quite simply, buy a .17 hornet, its (in his words) a "tackdriver" and its doing 3600 fps and as the man says reload it twice and you have already saved a small fortune,in fact I might see if cz have made a 527 in this calibre yet :hmm:

The 17 hornet is a very interesting round,I saw the savage one I think that was the make, and really didnt like the gun, I would have a look when cz bring one out too, let me know if you find one,

Well as I've said befoe the Honet is Ok but the trouble is for new certificate holders many forces only want new people to hold rimfire. .17WSM bridges the gap by giving a rimfire with centrefire performance.

I gather in my area they only now sanction centrefire for fox but as we know many areas sanction HMR for fox and insist on people having rimfire at 1st.

You are correct our force does not sanction rf for fox,well the new cert holders will have to do what most of us had to do start with a rf and work your way up then,and that train of thought does have some merit to be honest,but really if you want to shoot foxes, a .22 hornet should be the minimum requirement anyway in my opinion.

Well yes and no to the work your way up bit. Sometimes that's simplistic.

I've never held an FAC but would you classify me as clueless?

I wouldn't claim to be an expert but I think I have a decent knowledge of rifle shooting, firearms, rifle ballistics and safety aspects of rifle use. In fact I'd argue there are many FAC holders out that know less or behave as if they know less. This message board company excepted.

Edited by Alsone

It is no good wining at me I don't make the rules,no I would not put you in that bracket, but the police will, so don't go thinking that you can have some rimfire supergun and not have to jump through the same hoops as we all had to do, it wont happen! I can have pretty much whatever calibre I want on open ticket now, but believe me you have to earn it, and in my opinion that is the way it should be.

I'm not whining, just pointing out that WSM serves as a bridge between rimfire and centrefire in those areas where the forces insist you have rimfire 1st.

As for me, I'm not too worried because if I did apply for an FAC it would be for fox plus pests and small game, which means I'd have to be centrefire anyway in our county by virtue of the fox rules here. I'd most likely go .223 because of that. If I had to go rimfire then yes it would be WSM.

Also, its worth remembering that reloading involves a lot of expensive equipment and a lot of hassle. I've not reloaded but I did start to watch some tutorials on Youtube and all the case cleaning, measuring of every single case, re-necking / trimming etc etc makes it a real slow process and a lot of hassle. Then there's the fact that you need to spend £1K plus on equipment. Not everyone wants that, in which case .17 hornet is more than twice the price of the wsm.

Edited by Alsone
  • Like 1

I'm not whining, just pointing out that WSM serves as a bridge between rimfire and centrefire in those areas where the forces insist you have rimfire 1st.

As for me, I'm not too worried because if I did apply for an FAC it would be for fox plus pests and small game, which means I'd have to be centrefire anyway in our county by virtue of the fox rules here. I'd most likely go .223 because of that. If I had to go rimfire then yes it would be WSM.

Also, its worth remembering that reloading involves a lot of expensive equipment and a lot of hassle. I've not reloaded but I did start to watch some tutorials on Youtube and all the case cleaning, measuring of every single case, re-necking / trimming etc etc makes it a real slow process and a lot of hassle. Then there's the fact that you need to spend £1K plus on equipment. Not everyone wants that, in which case .17 hornet is more than twice the price of the wsm.

:hmm::hmm::hmm::hmm:

What right has ANY force got to insist you have rimfire first, and what calibre is a bridge between anything, calibres stand and fall on their own merits, and the merits of the 17WSM are yet to be established, so is the price in the UK of guns and ammo, and a WSM IS a Rimfire!

You can read as much as you want, life is different when you are walking around by yourself with your own gun.

Reloading will bring tailored, better performance, to any gun over factory, and for anyone who shoots a decent amount will save them money, even with the original capital investment in equipment. If you only let off half a dozen rounds a year it will not necessarily be cost effective, but it will bring you tailored performance. It is nowhere near as slow a process as you suggest once you know what you are doing. I don't reload because I don't have the time or inclination, but I know fully well with the amount of ammo I get through it would save me money and increase accuracy/effect, because others do reload for me!

:thumbs:

Edited by Deker

Behave it is far from a fact that you need to spend over a grand for the reloading gear, lee do some good starter kits you could easily start for approx £200

Well as I've said befoe the Honet is Ok but the trouble is for new certificate holders many forces only want new people to hold rimfire. .17WSM bridges the gap by giving a rimfire with centrefire performance.

I gather in my area they only now sanction centrefire for fox but as we know many areas sanction HMR for fox and insist on people having rimfire at 1st.

in your area ? i live in yorkshire ....and have fox on .17 ..........since renewing my licence it has come back with the following ......under all calibers it says

...........any lawful quarry suitable for that caliber..........seems the police have put the onus on the shooter what is suitable.......the .17 is not illegal on fox......but wether its suitable or not is your choice under the circumstances when shooting

I didn't say it was illegal. The information I have from another respected member on here is that in Yorkshire it has to be centrefire (no specific stipulation to calibre or bullet size) not rimifire for fox.

Other posters have in the past posted that in their counties .17 HMR is allowed for fox and that their forces won't grant centrefire to new FAC holders.

It seems SY is now one of the more sensible forces matching performance to prey rather than licence holder's years of holding.

:hmm::hmm::hmm::hmm:

What right has ANY force got to insist you have rimfire first, and what calibre is a bridge between anything, calibres stand and fall on their own merits, and the merits of the 17WSM are yet to be established, so is the price in the UK of guns and ammo, and a WSM IS a Rimfire!

You can read as much as you want, life is different when you are walking around by yourself with your own gun.

Reloading will bring tailored, better performance, to any gun over factory, and for anyone who shoots a decent amount will save them money, even with the original capital investment in equipment. If you only let off half a dozen rounds a year it will not necessarily be cost effective, but it will bring you tailored performance. It is nowhere near as slow a process as you suggest once you know what you are doing. I don't reload because I don't have the time or inclination, but I know fully well with the amount of ammo I get through it would save me money and increase accuracy/effect, because others do reload for me!

:thumbs:

They might not have any right Deker but from reports on here it seems some forces do it.