Opinions On The Hammerli Black Force 800

Sorry, went a little off track there.

To answer the OP's question I'd agree with what's already been said. A decent used quality gun will be far better than some budget knacker that will need loads of work to become nothing better than below average.

Just to add. Avoid Lightnings. Poorly built Spanish tat and the older UK made ones aren't much better. Stick to German or Air Arms and you shouldn't go far wrong.

Edit to add.... After reading the above post I've probably not made a friend here :laugh: Sorry, mate :icon_redface::D

Edited by andyfr1968

Sorry, went a little off track there.

To answer the OP's question I'd agree with what's already been said. A decent used quality gun will be far better than some budget knacker that will need loads of work to become nothing better than below average.

Just to add. Avoid Lightnings. Poorly built Spanish tat and the older UK made ones aren't much better. Stick to German or Air Arms and you shouldn't go far wrong.

Edit to add.... After reading the above post I've probably not made a friend here :laugh: Sorry, mate :icon_redface::D

You son of a..... :laugh:

Each to their own, I'm rather impressed with the Lightning compared to the other rifles in the same price bracket the shop had. Be that Gamo, Crosman and other budget rifles for >£230.

If it wasn't for wanting a PCP I'd be happy to keep this as a back up/spare :)

Best thing to do is try before you buy and learn about each caliber and how it would benefit your needs :)

Grae

• Like 1

First thing i have to say, very nice place you live, my village lol.

Here is my bit, off first thing is what has brought you to air gunning, are you going to shoot targets or live quarry. Before spending money i would start off by looking if you have a gun club near you. If you have go there for a few times with no gun of your own, once there start by having a good look around. Introduce yourself to the other members and start asking questions, you might get one member that can't give you the time of day but most will be open and helpful.

Get an idea of what you want to do because there will be a huge range of gun, out and out target guns a vermin hunter or just a plinker. I would imagine the members would be more than helpful, they were when i was going through the same as you.

So questions that you need to ask yourself is:

What do i want a gun for, target, vermin or plinking.

What is my budget because a pcp airgun has an added cost above and beyond the price of the gun. You will need either a pump or a divers bottle for compressed air, again both have plus and minuses.

So before you jump into the world of airgunning read-up, talk to other air gun owners, get yourself along to airgun meets. There again you can talk to other shooters and the possibility of shooting various guns. Get to a club this way you can get a firm idea of what type of gun you can get.

SPEND ONCE, SPEND WISE.

• Like 3

HW80s are absolutely horrible at 12ft/lb.

Sorry. No they are not sir. :hmm: You say you have shot with two different HW80s? I get the impression you did not own these rifles but simply had a shot or two with them?

I've owned several HW80s over the years since they first came out; including my current FAC .22 HW80 (21.4 Ft/lbs) and an HW80K .22 also on my FAC and they have never been less than beautiful to shoot with, at either end of the power spectrum. Their accuracy and consistent performance at all power levels is amazing. But I'm a spring rifle man and as such, I know a bit about shooting with these. I'm planning on another HW80 standard .22 or .177 to be tuned and retained at sub-12ft/lbs. Just for the pleasure of shooting with one at this level of output.

Perhaps your experience was with brand new rifles not yet run-in but my experience of years of owning and shooting them is far removed from yours. The HW80 or HW80K is the finest break barrel rifle there currently is. No ifs or buts. Every other Weihrauch break-barrel is a dilution of this superb rifle.

As you are an obvious S200 man, I'd doubt the HW80 would suit you anyway. Much too big and hefty for your preferences I feel. Just as the S200 is way too light and small for me.

Horses for courses!

Yours respectfully.

Pianoman.

• Like 3

HW80s are absolutely horrible at 12ft/lb.

Sorry. No they are not sir. :hmm: You say you have shot with two different HW80s? I get the impression you did not own these rifles but simply had a shot or two with them?

I've owned several HW80s over the years since they first came out; including my current FAC .22 HW80 (21.4 Ft/lbs) and an HW80K .22 also on my FAC and they have never been less than beautiful to shoot with, at either end of the power spectrum. Their accuracy and consistent performance at all power levels is amazing. But I'm a spring rifle man and as such, I know a bit about shooting with these. I'm planning on another HW80 standard .22 or .177 to be tuned and retained at sub-12ft/lbs. Just for the pleasure of shooting with one at this level of output.

Perhaps your experience was with brand new rifles not yet run-in but my experience of years of owning and shooting them is far removed from yours. The HW80 or HW80K is the finest break barrel rifle there currently is. No ifs or buts. Every other Weihrauch break-barrel is a dilution of this superb rifle.

As you are an obvious S200 man, I'd doubt the HW80 would suit you anyway. Much too big and hefty for your preferences I feel. Just as the S200 is way too light and small for me.

Horses for courses!

Yours respectfully.

Pianoman.

id swap my s200 for an 80k

Well this is just my opinion, I've shot my fair share of different air rifles and out of all the springers I've shot I thought the HW80 had the worst recoil. I have also owned an HW90 which I think is another air rife that suffers at 12ft/lb. I bought it secondhand and it shot beautifully, very short lock time, quick snappy recoil. I chrono'ed later on and discovered it was running at 18 ft/lb!! Took it down to 11.5 and the recoil became much worse, making the rifle more difficult to shoot consistently.

Well this is just my opinion, I've shot my fair share of different air rifles and out of all the springers I've shot I thought the HW80 had the worst recoil. I have also owned an HW90 which I think is another air rife that suffers at 12ft/lb. I bought it secondhand and it shot beautifully, very short lock time, quick snappy recoil. I chrono'ed later on and discovered it was running at 18 ft/lb!! Took it down to 11.5 and the recoil became much worse, making the rifle more difficult to shoot consistently.

Did you own a pcp before a springer?

Mate. Honestly you've got this arse about face. I've owned and used many 80s both FAC and sub 12. I own a 90 and back when I had an FAC it also shot at around that power. I used to tune and repair arguns for a living many years ago and still enjoy tinkering around with my own and a few friend's guns that I look after.

With a springer (assuming all else remains the same) when the power goes up, the recoil goes up. Power goes down, recoil goes down. Simple.

Unless you've used guns which somehow defy the laws of physics then you're just wrong.

• Like 4

Yep my 80 shoots real nice at 18fpe, short sharp clean stroke with no muzzle bounce just a positive nudge.

I have a titan no 2 spring in reserve that I cut down to give me 11.3 ish fpe and the rifle hardly recoils and becomes blisteringly accurate, super sweet.

Since I can't afford 2 80s at the moment a ten minute job converts it to whatever power I fancy shooting with.

Stick in a V-Mach or a SFS kit and live happily ever after.

C